Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-14-2012, 11:48 AM   #21
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Ultrasounds?!?

There are two kinds of ultrasounds. The pulsed one like they use to verify pregnancy and to do the measurement at 20 weeks are the safer of the two. There is much less exposure to the sound waves. The handheld doppler and the fetal monitors used for stress tests and labor are of the continuous pulse variety which means much much more exposure.

In our childbirth trainer course, we watched a news blurb from the early 80's , I think, where they discussed how exposure to ultrasound alters cell structure. There are lots of studies that show how ultrasound changes tissues which is why they are not frequently done on children. That said, almost no current OBs even know how to listen to a baby with a fetoscope or stethascope. They are doppler and monitor dependent.

The FDA, on my last check, actually has a little statement about ultrasound being for diagnostic testing when medically indicated only in response to the current fad of 4D ultrasounds which they do not say are ok.

It is like so many other things in pregnancy. You have to decide what you think about the available information and then weigh the risks with the benefits. ACOG does not even recommend the 20 week ultrasound. It is standard practice but their stance, again last check, is that ultrasound should only be used when a medical indication suggests a need. Bottomline, low risk pregnancies in women with no history of issues do not "require" ultrasounds of any kind at all.

That said, I have had 2 for each pregnancy. The verification around 9 weeks and the 20 week because I like to get to see the baby. It is totally about me.

Dont even get me started about the elctronic fetal monitoring (constant pulse ultrasound) during labor. That and the doppler are much worse.

Christ following Mama happily married to my best friend, Ryan , and loving my days with Rachael (11/06/2006), Rayna (09/10/2009) and Rowan (10/20/2012).
huntmommy is offline   Reply With Quote