Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #11
bigfunbums
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I ended up breaking down and buying the plastic nipple shields that I nursed her through. It saved breast feeding for me with my little one and she's now 16 months with a fine latch

Advertisement

Old 06-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #12
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavieau
I agree that if you have cracked bleeding nipples something IS wrong with the latch or positioning of the baby. It might be tender with a good latch for the first few weeks but it shouldn't leave you with cracked nipples that hurt the whole time you nurse. I'd seek out another lactation consultant (sometimes the ones at the hospital suck unfortunately).

ETA: My lactation consultant told me coconut oil was good for cracked nipples as it was antibacterial and to avoid too much expressed milk on them as it has a high sugar content and could lead to yeast.
I think it may be position. I have to lean quite far back as I'm still quite injured from birth and unable to sit straight up. I think I'm not doing a good job keeping DS aligned with the nipple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
Got your pm and pm'd you back I can ship tomorrow.
Some mama's even use a nipple shield while they heal up, maybe try one while you heal then get rid of it so the baby doesn't become dependent on the shield.
I just remembered, i also bought the avent brand boob coolers from babies r us, they helped as well rotating with the hot wash cloths.
These are them, reviews had me iffy but they work really well.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re.../dp/B00643FRUA
Thank you I'll have dh send you pp asap. I read something about cold sensation diminishing supply, was that more false info?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfunbums
I ended up breaking down and buying the plastic nipple shields that I nursed her through. It saved breast feeding for me with my little one and she's now 16 months with a fine latch
Do you still use the shields or when did you stop? I want badly to use them to give my nipples a break but the lc at the hospital kept telling me baby would become dependent and I might also not get enough sensation through them to experience let-down.

Sent from my Galaxy Skyrocket using DS Forum
Old 06-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #13
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Cracked, what do i do?

no the cold didn't do anything to my supply, in fact I feed her and then can pump 5-7 oz out of one side and 3-4 oz out of the other side and can do it twice a day.
I do eat a bowl of oatmeal everyday as I believe it helps keep my supply up.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #14
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh mama hang in there!!! I kept frozen washcloths in ziploc bags to pop on in nursing tank top frequently. Does it hurt just when you latch or also nursing the whole time? Maybe try a my brest friend pillow? It was more stable for me than the boppy?

On my smart phone which is clearly not as smart as it seems to believe
Old 06-10-2012, 01:00 PM   #15
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessnic
Oh mama hang in there!!! I kept frozen washcloths in ziploc bags to pop on in nursing tank top frequently. Does it hurt just when you latch or also nursing the whole time? Maybe try a my brest friend pillow? It was more stable for me than the boppy?

Just when I latch, the pain normally goes away after 2 or 3 minutes of nursing. I'm getting to the point where I'm tensing up before latching and also dreading feeding time, though.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #16
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM

Just when I latch, the pain normally goes away after 2 or 3 minutes of nursing. I'm getting to the point where I'm tensing up before latching and also dreading feeding time, though.

While you are cracked the pain is normal sadly. Try to relax and focus on getting a good latch and keeping a good position. You are doing a great job and this is not an easy thing to do. If the pain is subsiding chances are it is just the cracking hurtinf, not a bad latch which stays uncomfortable. Can you call your doctor or midwife to get a prescription for jack newmans all purpose nipple ointment? That will help heal it fast and prevent thrush or infection.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #17
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can also try different nursing positions, that way he's not sucking on the same spot in the same way every time.
Anyway, My nipples got cracked a bit with my first (they even bled a little), but her latch was honestly fine. I nursed through the pain for 2 weeks, then it went away. I didn't put anything on them, although coconut oil would probably have been my go-to.
My second was also very painful for 2 weeks, then it faded away. Look at your nipples after he unlatches- if they are flat at all, that's not a good sign. If they are more round, it might not be a latch issue.
For me I just told myself that formula was not an option. Of course if my babies had ever started losing weight, etc, I would have gotten more help, but I did have quite a bit of pain in the first few weeks with both, and there was nothing wrong. Both of my babies were ginormous and within 4 weeks I couldn't even tell when they're latched on, lol.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #18
safghf
Registered Users
seller

With my DD, her latch wasn't great at first, but I never cracked or bled. With DS, I thought I was feeding a vampire! My nipples looked like they had a fight with a cheese grater and lost His latch was perfect. My breasts, however got so big when my milk first came in, he could only get nipple for a day or two (I pumped, took hot showers, used warm compresses, etc These girls were just enormous!!!). I literally cried in agony through every feed for about 4 days. What saved me was the nipple ointment we made. I will look for the exact recipe, but it's a mix of bacitracin, hydrocortisone and miconazole (monistat). It was a magic potion! After about two days I was almost completely healed.
It's safe for babies belly, and definitely saved our nursing relationship. I knew it would get better, but when your baby pulls off and has blood stained milk streaming down his chin it's tough to see past that to the bliss we have now. I had no desire to go down the road of a nipple shield because I didn't want to fight the potential battle to get him off of it. I'm sure they work, but I would avoid it if you can.
Be strong, it does get better! And if you are at all concerned about his latch see someone sooner rather than later when the bad habit is ingrained.
Good luck momma! Support is the best way to get through the early days of nursing, do kudos for coming here for help
safghf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #19
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Motherlove or Earth Mama Angel Baby nipple cream are awesome! Hang in there!
Old 06-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #20
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by safghf
With my DD, her latch wasn't great at first, but I never cracked or bled. With DS, I thought I was feeding a vampire! My nipples looked like they had a fight with a cheese grater and lost His latch was perfect. My breasts, however got so big when my milk first came in, he could only get nipple for a day or two (I pumped, took hot showers, used warm compresses, etc These girls were just enormous!!!). I literally cried in agony through every feed for about 4 days. What saved me was the nipple ointment we made. I will look for the exact recipe, but it's a mix of bacitracin, hydrocortisone and miconazole (monistat). It was a magic potion! After about two days I was almost completely healed.
It's safe for babies belly, and definitely saved our nursing relationship. I knew it would get better, but when your baby pulls off and has blood stained milk streaming down his chin it's tough to see past that to the bliss we have now. I had no desire to go down the road of a nipple shield because I didn't want to fight the potential battle to get him off of it. I'm sure they work, but I would avoid it if you can.
Be strong, it does get better! And if you are at all concerned about his latch see someone sooner rather than later when the bad habit is ingrained.
Good luck momma! Support is the best way to get through the early days of nursing, do kudos for coming here for help
If that happens to use again try reverse pressure softening. You can google it for a description/illustration.