Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
brookglen
Registered Users

Spotting should I go in?

I had a miscarriage three months ago. I am currently 5 weeks pregnant and just discovered some brown spotting. Should I go to the hospital? I really don't know what to do.

Advertisement

brookglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:
Re: Spotting should I go in?

That's really up to you. When I have spotted or started bleeding in early pregnancy, I didn't go in, but that's just me. There is nothing they can do, and I didn't feel that I needed medical assistance. I have to say, though, that when I had my m/c at almost 11 weeks I had dh home with me and he literally stayed up all night and checked my blood pressure and heart rate to make sure that we didn't need to call an ambulance. And everything was fine. But I think if I didn't have a medical professional in the home I would have gone to the ER because I bled very heavily towards the end.

Do you want to know if everything is OK or not? Those are valid reasons to go in. During one of my m/c I went in because I just felt that something was off, and I had lost the baby. But then when I got pregnant right after that and had a m/c at 5.5 weeks, I just stayed home. and then with another pregnancy I had brown spotting, and thought, well, here we go again. And everything was fine and she's (probably) asleep upstairs now. There's a good chance she is reading instead.

So, you are the only one to make that decision. I hope everything is fine.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
It really is up to you. I don't necessarily think the ER is the most comforting place. I'd call my doctor and get an appointment asap instead. If spotting became heavy bleeding, I'd definitely go in.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using DS Forum

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

I'm so sorry mama. I don't think you need to go in. They can't typically see a heartbeat at 5 weeks anyway, unless you are near a very sophisticated maternity hospital with advanced equipment and then you still have to do some convincing. I know, because I drove 3 hours just for this purpose. They can't stop a miscarriage and they won't offer much comfort, I'm afraid. You can't even go to L&D, you would have to go through the ER.

I am with the pp who said I would wait and call my doc in the morning.

I'm thinking of you, and I really, really hope that the spotting is just that little egg settling in for a long and cozy stay.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:05 PM   #5
brookglen
Registered Users

Thanks everyone. I'll call tomorrow. I know there isn't much that can't be done, I just hate this. I'll hold off. I called my husband and he is coming home.
brookglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #6
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookglen
Thanks everyone. I'll call tomorrow. I know there isn't much that can't be done, I just hate this. I'll hold off. I called my husband and he is coming home.
Rest and drink lots of water. Hope everything is okay.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using DS Forum

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:17 AM   #7
wordmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Brown is old blood, which is good news. It's also very common.

I agree with the others, don't bother going to the hospital. Even your doc can only really do a quantitative beta blood draw to know what's going on.

Hugs mama. I know how scary blood during pregnancy can be.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Check out my blog, focusing on the wisdom of wee ones.
wordmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #8
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hope that everything is ok. Unless the spotting turns into really heavy bleeding I would stay home. The ER is not a very comforting place and eveything could be fine so you should stay home and rest with your feet up. I had spotting starting at 6 weeks and I was totally freaked out because I've had 3 mc and this time the baby is doing just fine and now I'm 26 weeks and I've been spotting throughout the pregnancy on and off. I would def call your doctor in the AM though. Good luck & HUGS
MandaMommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #9
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

First of all
My first pregnancy ended with a miscarriage, so I totally understand your worry.

If the spotting is just a little bit of brown spotting, you're probably fine. If it turns bright red, is accompanied with cramping, and is enough to need a regular sanitary pad.. then you should call your OB.

But if it's just a little brown spotting, that is normal in a health pregnancy. I have had spotting in all 5 of my pregnancies, and only one of them ended with a miscarriage.

Have you had sex within the last 48 hours? That can cause spotting.

You can even have spotting wit no explanation. With this pregnancy, I spotted for a full week.. hadn't had sex in 3 or 4 days when it started.... then after 5 days to a week... it just stopped.

All that to say.. I know you're worried because of your previous miscarriage, but take a deep breath and try to relax. A little spotting in a healthy pregnancy is completely normal.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #10
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Don't think the worst just yet. I have some brownish red spotting around 6-7wks with my last baby and it was a "harmless" subchorionic bleed.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote