Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
Alida
Registered Users
seller

Help - child will not eat!

My 2 yea old that has pretty bad sensory processing disorder (sensory avoider) has gone from the kid who would eat pretty well to barely eating anything period. I am really worried as most days I am lucky if I can get milk and a cliff bar in him. He will sometimes just flat out refuse period then ends up vomiting bile from an empty stomach too long. I have tried taking him alone to the grocery store to pick out food, and making him a full snack tray of a variety but when it comes down to it he is barely eating and I am sure his nutrition is suffering. I need to find a new Ped cause I just took him Friday and she totally blew me off and said to go to a GI or try pediasure after I already told her we'd tried every flavor and brand of pediasure we could find and he refused them all.

He tends to have trouble with too much dairy so we limit that greatly using almond milk instead of cows milk and both my other sons are lactose intolerant.
On an awesome day his diet looks like:

Breakfast: 6oz almond milk and 1 kids cliff bar

Lunch: 6oz almond milk handful of wheat thins

Dinner: 6oz almond milk and pancakes with no syrup

A bad day for us is 2 glasses of milk and then just plain water and MAYBE a few crackers.

I have finally gotten him to start taking flinstones vitamins everyday so he is getting that in too.

I am pretty worried though and not sure where to go from here. Does anyone else have experience with food refusal?

Advertisement

Alida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Does he receive SLP and/or OT services? They can potentially help a lot, and good ones with feeding experience can direct you to other resources as well.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
Alida
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help - child will not eat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
Does he receive SLP and/or OT services? They can potentially help a lot, and good ones with feeding experience can direct you to other resources as well.
Yes he is currently doing OT once a week for SPD and ST once a week as well. His therapists have had no luck either getting him to accept foods
Old 06-10-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

Could you try goat milk instead of almond milk? My DD can't handle cow milk but does fine on goat milk. That way your LO would at least be getting protein from the goat milk. Almond milk doesn't really have anything in it other than some added calcium.

So sorry you are having feeding difficulties.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:18 AM   #5
cookiebonster
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Does he have hand sensitivity? For some reason our OT says there is a lot of times kids who gag on textures will also have a problem with touching various things. So sometimes sensory buckets help filled with different texture types-one per bucket. We use cheap plastic shoeboxes. Then just put different textures in like beans, lentils, rice. Do lots of play with playdough. If there is no allergy issues make the edible playdough that is made with peanut butter so if he eats some it's a bonus. Also try not to push or act concerned at meal time. Just present the food-I would suggest that everyone have their meal at the same time and that everyone has basically the same thing. You can also help stimulate the muscles in his jaw/mouth/face with ice or a vibrating toothbrush. And finally for us what helped him eating more quantity was a perscription appetite enhancer-although this will depend on your doctor and if he is falling below on his growth curve and etc. Hope some of this helps. Good luck with your son.
cookiebonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:35 AM   #6
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
Formerly: sgoe***
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd push for more frequent OT.

When my son flat out refused to eat (at less than a year old) they had him in 3x a week OT for oral sensory issues.

THIN cotton gloves might help if there is a hand issue as well.

Does he eat any sweets?

We often resort to bribery. Last night I bribed my 2 1/2 yo to eat 1/2 a hot dog by giving him sips of soda. Not the best dinner (he did eat his fries though) but at least he ate SOMETHING instead of nothing, like he wanted. :/

My 2 yo doesn't eat a lot & we've thought his problem was reflux (actually seeing GI today to find out the results of a stomach x-ray) to find out what is going on in his belly.

TeachinAuntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:45 AM   #7
Alida
Registered Users
seller

He does have hand sensitivites as he hates touching things and having his nails clipped.

He does like sweets (chocolate chip cookies and ice cream) we have tried the bribery route but he just flat out refuses and will hold out indefinitely rather then eat to get a snack
Old 06-11-2012, 09:51 PM   #8
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'd ask the therapists about a feeding clinic. They could work directly on feeding in addition to his current therapies. Good luck!

mom to 1 little guy (12/09) & 3 big girls ('02, '99 & '94)
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:06 PM   #9
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssand23 View Post
I'd ask the therapists about a feeding clinic. They could work directly on feeding in addition to his current therapies. Good luck!

mom to 1 little guy (12/09) & 3 big girls ('02, '99 & '94)
This is my suggestion. A good SLP should be able to do feeding therapy with him. My oldest was in feeding therapy for almost 2 years and went from eating just plain white bread, dry pasta, popcorn chicken and OJ to eating Just Tomatoes dried fruits, frozen mixed veggies (we heated them up), yogurt, chicken noodle soup, tomato soup, apple slices, bananas, grapes and strawberries. Since then I have progressively added foods and now he will eat almost anything except curries and tomatoes (he eats tomato sauces just doesn't like tomatoes but we all have preferences). He was so small with so many food aversions he was always on the verge of FTT and often lost weight instead of gaining. He was pretty much starving himself to death. Of course it also turns out that he has growth hormone deficiency which doesn't help but at that time he probably still had at least some growth hormone going. I am very grateful to his SLP for all of the work she put in with him helping him learn to accept new foods and teaching me how to introduce foods to him.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #10
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd push for a referral to your local children's hospital's feeding team. There are wonderful feeding programs out there (can't see where you are from, but if you let us know, I can do a little digging on parent-2-parent for you.

This is a great group of people. Here is the feeding aversion sub forum...
http://parent-2-parent.com/forums/fo...-and-Aversions
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote