Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-10-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
dreamingkristin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Evening supply drops....

So anyone have any suggestions... Ethan acts not satisfied at night as far as eating.. MIL watched him last night while we went to a reception.. well I fed him at 6:00 before we left... She fed him at 9:00 and I fed him when we got home at 11:00 he slept 5.5 hours... Every other night he nurses from like 6:00-11:00 almost non stop or eveyr 30 min- 1 hour... another night he had a bottle to make sure he would take it and the same thing.. he slept like 5 hours... So I'm thinking that my supply TANKS in the evenings - middle of the night is decent.. but late afternoon and evenings I feel like they are 'empty' .... So seems like he isn't getting enough at night... I'm already eating oatmeal every morning... drinking lots more water than normal and taking fenugreek supplements.... I don't really wanna do formula... but I don't really wanna continue with the crazy evening feedings and the feeling like there is nothing there for him to eat....

Advertisement

Old 06-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
iluvmyortiz1122
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Sounds normal to me!! Also sounds like cluster feeding. My dd2 was also more cranky at night time, the same times you're describing. Don't worry! It sounds like y'all are doing fine

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum

iluvmyortiz1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
dreamingkristin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Evening supply drops....

but why with a bottle of BM does he not cluster feed but only when actually nursing..??

Any way I can increase evening supply??

He seems so much more fufilled before 4:00ish or in the middle of the night???

How long does cluster feeding last?? its been like 2 weeks of this....
Old 06-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #4
palsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's completely natural to have a low supply at night. That is how our bodies work. We don't "store " milk during the day. We make it and they take it. Usually in the evening hours there is a lower supply but higher fat so they get more fat for sleeping. We store milk in the night from about 10pm-10am when our prolactin levels are the highest. Just keep nursing. That is the best way to keep your supply up and adequate for baby. It is very typical for cluster feeds at night. It's just how things work your not alone and your body isn't doing anything wrong. Keep up the good work!
Old 06-11-2012, 12:36 AM   #5
cassie.sattler
Registered Users
seller

my son will be 3 weeks well today (sleep depravation sorry) he is the same way. he fusses a little more a night anywhere from 11-2 (joy!) he clusters off and on and it is very annoying to the point i almost stopped bfing. hubby and i would pack him full with a few bottles in between the breast and i my lc told me that babies do that and to not do a bottle because they can easily over feed and get even more fussier because they get uncomfy. we stopped packing him with bottles and now i just nurse and we tend to just doze off together. i was worried my supply was low at night too until i relised he just likes to comfort suck more at night then actually feed. lc also told me to try and offer the empty breast so he can suck himself to sleep. it works like a charm for me.stick with it and just cherish the fact your the only one that can provide such miracle
cassie.sattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:11 AM   #6
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Cluster feeding in the evenings is TOTALLY normal and EXPECTED in the first weeks/ months. It builds supply and is not a reflection of an inadequate supply. As long as you listen to baby and nurse as much as baby wants you will continue to produce the right amount of milk. It only lasts a short while and before you know it, it will be over. Keep up the good work!
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Totally agree with all of the others. It's normal and not a reflection of your supply. My baby is now 12 weeks old and in the past few weeks has slowed down on the cluster feeding at night.

As for why he acted satisfied when your mom fed him- babies act differently when mom isn't there. My daughter was in daycare when she was 7 weeks to 14 months old. Until she was a year old she pretty much slept most of the time she was there, and would wake up for me feeding her at lunchtime, then sleep the entire afternoon. Did she do that at home when I had her? No way! She nursed every 1.5 hours to 2 hours.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliz7
Cluster feeding in the evenings is TOTALLY normal and EXPECTED in the first weeks/ months. It builds supply and is not a reflection of an inadequate supply. As long as you listen to baby and nurse as much as baby wants you will continue to produce the right amount of milk. It only lasts a short while and before you know it, it will be over. Keep up the good work!
This
Old 06-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #9
dreamingkristin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Grrr the cluster feeding is totally driving me nuts.
Last night he slept only from 11:30 till around 1:00. Tried feeding him he nursed both sides at least twice then was mad nothing else was coming out. Not content to just suck. My nips were hurting... I defrosted one of my 2 frozen bags of milk. He took 2 oz and fell asleep with that drunk milk face and slept for 3.5 hours.
I know I need to nurse when he wants more but there was nothing coming out. But from when he nursed both sides several times at like almost 3:00 till this morning I was really full when he woke at almost 7:00. Why can't that happen in the middle of the night from all the cluster feeding in the afternoon and evening. Not the next morning. Need it in the middle if the night.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 06-11-2012, 02:27 PM   #10
Connor
Registered Users
seller

The way milk production works is based on the hormone prolactin, which is at it's peak at night, when production is at it's lowest, when stimulation matters most, the cluster feeding signals the brain to make more milk. During the morning hours is when you produce the most milk and prolactin is back down. So they flip flop if that makes sense. Just keep nursing mama, you're still establishing a supply, not just for now but for the long term.