Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-10-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Super short sessions - normal?

Before my milk came in DS would nurse one side, fall asleep, I'd burp him and annoy him awake, then nurse the other side.

Now my milk came in and he's nursing one side for 5-7 minutes, dropping off, and sleeps, well, like a baby, until his next session 2 hours later. I've been accustomed to waking him to nurse so its not like I'm not trying or don't know how.

I wondered if this was maybe normal at the beginning while his stomach expands?

Sent from my Galaxy Skyrocket using DS Forum

Advertisement

Old 06-10-2012, 11:43 PM   #2
luvthefluff
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Super short sessions - normal?

i recall my ds doing that same thing..as long as he was gaining weight and catching up at some point that day i never got concerned. i would pump the other side to keep that supply going for when he gets a spurt or bigger appetite you will be ready...its a good way to save some ounces too
Old 06-10-2012, 11:48 PM   #3
Connor
Registered Users
seller

I would just encourage him to nurse longer and ideally empty both sides. If not definitely pump the other side to keep supply up.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:35 AM   #4
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had a friend who's baby would only nurse for 5 minutes each time, all through his first year and beyond. He'd empty a side and be done. I was jealous lol!
Old 06-11-2012, 05:41 AM   #5
lilmomma83
Registered Users

As long as he is gaining I wouldn't worry...add other mamas said its a great way to pump and store milk!
lilmomma83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:46 AM   #6
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My second is kind of like that. He never nurses on both sides, even in the beginning. I had plenty of milk and he was gaining a lot, so I didn't worry about it. My first was the opposite- she would have marathon nursing sessions for 45 minutes, both sides. As long as your supply stays up and he is gaining, be happy! It's a lot easier to go out with a baby that doesn't take long to nurse.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #7
SamanthaE
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a 3 month old that does this. He used to nurse around 12-15 minutes on only one side and now he is down to about 5-7 minutes on one side. He is gaining weight and has lots of poopy and pee pee diapers. And after he nurses my breast feels empty. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks ladies I can't help worrying about every little thing.

I really, really want a good pump if only to relieve some of this pain but all my nurses in the hospital told me pumping would lead to oversupply and that would somehow be worse? I don't understand, can anyone else explain that to me?

Sent from my Galaxy Skyrocket using DS Forum
Old 06-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

My first nursed for 30 mins out of every 2-3hours, my second nursed for about 5 mins 1-2x per hour. I think it just varies. As long as he continues to have wet/poopy diapers and gains weight... No worries mama.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #10
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

some babies are super suckers and can drain you like no one's business in 5 minutes and be completely full. I don't think my last 3 children nursed on both sides until they were like 8 months old in one nursing session. They were all power suckers, but my first would hang out at the breast for 30-45 min.

If you are having discomfort and would like to relieve some of that pressure, go ahead and pump. But just watch so that you don't pump to the last drop, just drain off enough to feel some relief. Your body will produce what is demanded of it. So if you don't demand it doesn't make more than what it is producing now, you won't have to worry about it.

The reason behind the not wanting an oversupply is it can create issues with a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, which can lead to a whole host of problems. You will eventually even out...

make sure you are watching wet diapers and poopy diapers and weight gain.
jessicap is offline   Reply With Quote