Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
tootsy_toes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Help! Are there any Tenessee Natural Birth Mamas here???

Please help! I have a delima. I have heard from my SIL who is a L&D nurse at a local hospital, that the natural birthing center I have been planning to have my baby at is sending all their June and July Mamas to local hospitals. I have not been informed by them that they are closing or that they are sending patients away, but it concerns me, because I do not want to have a hospital birth. I had a homebirth with my first child and really don't want to go that route again. I live in East Tennessee about 30 miles from Chattanooga. I am 21 weeks pregnant, I know I do have some time, but not much. Does anyone know of another birthing center that is within 30-45 minutes of Cleveland, or a hospital that will allow me to labor my way? I have always been allowed to walk around during labor and work through the pain my way. I have only had natural unmedicated births and I don't want any unnecessary interventions. Thank you in advance.

Advertisement

Christ following wife to Andy , and Mama to N-bug ; J-bean ; and lady-K .

Blessed every day!
tootsy_toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help! Are there any Tenessee Natural Birth Mamas here???

I don't live there. So, I may be no help.

The first thing I would do is call the center and ask them about this information and also ask where they can refer you. They are the most likely to know what alternatives you might have. Good luck!
Old 06-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
tootsy_toes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
I don't live there. So, I may be no help.

The first thing I would do is call the center and ask them about this information and also ask where they can refer you. They are the most likely to know what alternatives you might have. Good luck!
Thank you. In my panic state I didn't think of that!

Blessed every day!
Old 06-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would contact Farm Midwifery Center, located near Summertown, Tennessee. (Have you ever heard of Ida May Gaskins? She wrote the book on Homebirth (uh literally!) It might be a little too far for you to go there for the birth.
They might know of some options in your area.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:19 PM   #5
tootsy_toes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia View Post
I would contact Farm Midwifery Center, located near Summertown, Tennessee. (Have you ever heard of Ida May Gaskins? She wrote the book on Homebirth (uh literally!) It might be a little too far for you to go there for the birth.
They might know of some options in your area.
I have heard fo Ida may Gaskins! That is too far, yes. However, I will check with them. Thank you!

Blessed every day!
Old 06-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #6
lecialefty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I think there's a free standing birth center in Knoxville. I'm 2 hours from there though. I hope everything works out, I had a homebirth with my second and don't want to go back to the hospital for any future children.
lecialefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
tootsy_toes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Update...I called the midwife center today. I spoke with one of the nurses who said that the center was not delivering any babies in June because one of the Midwives was fired, without reason by the board. . There were only two when I started seeing them this pregnancy. Since one midwife cannot handle numerous births, they are informing clients of their options, including local hospitals and a free standing birth center in Knoxville. (I'm already driving 45 mintues, it's over two hour's drive, so a little farther than I'd like to go). They are in the process of hiring more midwives and hope to be delivering babies again sometime in July. The nurse did reassure me that they were not closing the center. So I have a tiny glimmer of hope, but still think I need to keep my options open. I had by second son there and it was a wonderful birth experience. Hopefully, by the time I'm due (mid-October) they will have it all worked out.

Blessed every day!
Old 06-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #8
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That is sad to hear. But, hopefully, since you aren't due till Oct, they will have someone new by then. Start praying.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #9
tootsy_toes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
That is sad to hear. But, hopefully, since you aren't due till Oct, they will have someone new by then. Start praying.

Yes, definately praying. It works!

Blessed every day!
Old 06-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #10
MrsAsh
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sorry you have to deal with all this mama! I'm not close to you, but in TN. Here's my TN birth: I had a homebirth midwife come to my house for labor and then we left for the hospital last minute and got there at 9cm, so no time for interventions!! She went along as my doula, but the OBGYN was having trouble getting me to listion, so really my midwife/doula was the one to tell me push/stop/relax/etc... She was amazing and the staff and dr were impressed as well. I am GBS+, so that's the main reason for not staying home. Hoping all works out well for you! I had so much trouble with finding the care I wanted here, so I know the stress it can cause when something isn't going according to plan!