Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #121
dreamingoffireflies
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone else leave their childbearing up to God?

I agree. People who lived in earlier times did not have the birth control methods we have. They had to just let it happen as it happened and trusted God, and that was natural. We just live in an age and a culture where we want control over everything in our lives, but often the control we think we have is an illusion, or if it isn't, we often miss out on blessings we'd have if we trusted God rather than ourselves.

My good friend just went to the doctor to confirm a pregnancy today and they told her she should see her hematologist to "make sure it's even worth the pregnancy" since she's had blood clots in the past, and told her scare stories of women who have died in her situation. Luckily she does not share his value system, but she needed a good dose of encouragement to do some damage control from how the doctors treated her and the situation.

Advertisement

My ISO/IHA
dreamingoffireflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #122
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

I didn't see this thread before! I have 5 children (ages 5, 4, 3, 2, and 8 months). My older 3 are from a previous marriage, that ended for various reasons, but one of them was the fact that I was open to more children and he was not (and he got a vasectomy against my wishes). My current DH is a great step-father to them, and they have known them their entire lives as he was a close friend of the family long before we started dating. We have been married for almost 2 years and already have had 2 children together. We have pretty much always been "not trying, not preventing." Unfortunately, since my 8 month old son was born we've had 2 losses. We recently decided to prevent (using NFP only) for a few months so that I can go through with some surgeries (wisdom teeth and gallbladder) that have been put off for years since I have been pregnant or nursing. I have to say it is so weird to me to have the mindset of trying to prevent, and I will be very glad when it is over. I love everything about being pregnant, bringing life into the world, and raising my children. I cannot imagine that part of my life ever ending!

I forgot to add, I am 26 and DH is 29. DH is a high school teacher and I am a SAHM. I guess we would be considered low income but it has always been enough. Even when things came up we've always been blessed in some way. We've listened to where we felt God was calling us, and we have been provided for!
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*

Last edited by AcrossTheUniverse; 07-16-2012 at 05:19 PM.
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #123
dannimom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Heather-Eric is in construction, so we're "poor" too! Welcome to the board.
dannimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:34 AM   #124
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

I just want to say that I love how you all not only talk, but follow your family's personal conviction about childbearing. It really is great. Convictions are not easy to stick to sometimes, but thank God for the strength and peace He gives to help us!

And this thread has served as a good reminder to me to stay in deep prayer about God's direction for our family size (I have a different conviction about leaving my childbearing up to God... my conviction is that by seeking His will for for the amount of children to have, I am "leaving it upto Him" as I believe He speaks to us and guides us and directs us to the paths He wants us to take and if I stay in Him and earnestly seek Him and listen for His voice; He will show me His will).
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:21 AM   #125
supejed05
Registered Users

I just wanted to make other mamas aware that there is another alternative to besides birth control and repeated/frequent miscarriages. It is heart-breaking to lose baby after baby (around 6 to 8 weeks gestation) because your body doesn't produce enough progesterone to sustain the pregnancy. Some women will not have issues as they age, and others will. For mamas who are concerned about the possibility of multiple miscarriges asssociated with decreasing hormone levels as you age, there are Creighton-trained NFP-only physicians who can help you carry a baby to full term.
supejed05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #126
boogamama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

[QUOTE=raisingcropsandbabies;15412587]I just want to say that I love how you all not only talk, but follow your family's personal conviction about childbearing. It really is great. Convictions are not easy to stick to sometimes, but thank God for the strength and peace He gives to help us!

And this thread has served as a good reminder to me to stay in deep prayer about God's direction for our family size (I have a different conviction about leaving my childbearing up to God... my conviction is that by seeking His will for for the amount of children to have, I am "leaving it upto Him" as I believe He speaks to us and guides us and directs us to the paths He wants us to take and if I stay in Him and earnestly seek Him and listen for His voice; He will show me His will).[/QUOTE]

Again, I agree with this. Very well said.
boogamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #127
dreamingoffireflies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingcropsandbabies View Post
And this thread has served as a good reminder to me to stay in deep prayer about God's direction for our family size (I have a different conviction about leaving my childbearing up to God... my conviction is that by seeking His will for for the amount of children to have, I am "leaving it upto Him" as I believe He speaks to us and guides us and directs us to the paths He wants us to take and if I stay in Him and earnestly seek Him and listen for His voice; He will show me His will).
Good point, mama. I don't know that I believe unlimited children is for everyone. And I am thankful that the Bible does not spell out every issue for us or make clear how everything should be interpreted because then it is about relationship with God and seeking his will for our lives instead of just following a bunch of guidelines robotically.

My ISO/IHA
dreamingoffireflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #128
TPLmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Subbing & will come back when I have time to tell our story!

ETA:

Hi! I saw this thread a few weeks ago but didn't have time to reply then either.

DH & I got married at 18 & 19 respectively. We wanted to wait 5 years to have DC & hadn't ever heard of leaving those things up to God. After 18 months of marriage I was getting baby fever so we decided together that I would stop taking BC. On our 2nd anniversary we found out we were preggo with DS.

While I was pregnant, my best friend had recently decided after having her first DS to trust God for any future children, number & spacing. She & her husband shared this with us & we were very attracted that way of living. God worked in our hearts over time & we have never used any form of BC (including NFP) since then.

DS was born 3/2008. I had a miscarriage after my first PPAF, then got pregnant with DD1. She was born 1/2010. I had another miscarriage after my first PPAF, then got pregnant with DD2. She was born 4/2012. No PPAF yet! God's timing with our children has been just so perfect. Even the miscarriages showed us that His plan is the very best plan for us because He sees the big picture. For example with DD2 I was sick in bed for the first 3 months of my pregnancy & could not take care of our other two children. DH was let go from his job 3 days after we found out we were preggo (on our 6th anniversary, btw ). He was able to stay home with our children & care for them (& me!) while he looked for another job. Had I not lost the baby I was pregnant with before DD2, I would have been sick at home all alone with my kids while DH was working.

Thankfully I know a few mamas IRL with similar convictions & that support has been invaluable through each trial we have faced so far. I am beyond blessed by friends, (most) family, & my DH who supports our decision to trust God completely with our childbearing. I pray He will have complete control over it all & bless us only as He sees fit! I spend each day learning (mostly the hard way ) to be a better mama & love my kids as God loves me. My children bring DH & I more joy than we could ever have imagined & look forward to more blessings.

Last edited by TPLmommy; 07-28-2012 at 01:27 AM.
TPLmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:41 PM   #129
missc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

*late night ramblings follow...*
I've been following this thread for a while; I really appreciate hearing the testimonies and stories of where others are. I haven't posted as it's been a bit busy; we have a 4yo dd, 3 (just) yo dd, and 11 week old son...and are building a house out on our farm. None of our kids were "planned", it is by the grace of God that we conceived at all due to other medical issues that were supposed to prevent both of us from easily getting pregnant. We have used NFP loosely between children, and God has shown us his perfect timing - especially with the pregnancy and birth of our son. We put our house on the market last spring, hoping to sell and build out on our property where we already have a barn and some animals. It was getting tiring traveling out there twice a day to feed the animals. In August we found out we were pregnant. I was embarrassed, mainly due to the timing but also as we come from a community with a "smaller" family mindset (generally 2, maybe 3 kids even though I'd love to have at least 4!). I committed it to prayer, and God has shown His grace immeasurably. In December we made a deal with my husband's sister to sell the house to her, and we broke ground the first of March. DS was born April 30, 2 weeks late - when I thought for sure he'd be here by the beginning of April. But, God's timing has been amazing this entire time. That my SIL is buying our house allows us to stay in it until we are finished with the house. "Problems" that have happened throughout the building process (we are contracting it ourselves) have turned out to be positives. And these extra 3-4 weeks of maternity leave have allowed us to finish things on the house that I probably wouldn't have been able to. Throughout this process God has shown us strength that we didn't know we had, and have brought us closer. This whole past year I am convinced, more than ever, of the power of prayer and God's faithfulness. I don't know if He'll lead us to have more kids or not, but we are resting in Him!
Old 07-18-2012, 07:48 AM   #130
christina2babyboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So wonderful how you can can see God's love an dblessing even in the hard things such as miscarriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPLmommy View Post
Subbing & will come back when I have time to tell our story!

ETA:

Hi! I saw this thread a few weeks ago but didn't have time to reply then either.

DH & I got married at 18 & 19 respectively. We wanted to wait 5 years to have DC & hadn't ever heard of leaving those things up to God. After 18 months of marriage I was getting baby fever so we decided together that I would stop taking BC. On our 2nd anniversary we found out we were preggo with DS.

While I was pregnant, my best friend had recently decided after having her first DS to trust God for any future children, number & spacing. She & her husband shared this with us & we were very attracted that way of living. God worked in our hearts over time & we have never used any form of BC (including NFP) since then.

DS was born 3/2008. I had a miscarriage after my first PPAF, then got pregnant with DD1. She was born 1/2010. I had another miscarriage after my first PPAF, then got pregnant with DD2. She was born 4/2012. No PPAF yet! God's timing with our children has been just so perfect. Even the miscarriages showed us that His plan is the very beat plan for us because He sees the big picture. For example with DD2 I was sick in bed for the first 3 months of my pregnancy & could not take care of our other two children. DH was let go from his job 3 days after we found out we were preggo (on our 6th anniversary, btw ). He was able to stay home with our children & care for them (& me!) while he looked for another job. Had I not lost the baby I was pregnant with before DD2, I would have been sick at home all alone with my kids while DH was working.

Thankfully I know a few mamas IRL with similar convictions & that support has been invaluable through each trial we have faced so far. I am beyond blessed by friends, (most) family, & my DH who supports our decision to trust God completely with our childbearing. I pray He will have complete control over it all & bless us only as He sees fit! I spend each day learning (mostly the hard way ) to be a better mama & love my kids as God loves me. My children bring DH & I more joy than we could ever have imagined & look forward to more blessings.