Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Help my weight is skyrocketing 3lbs a week!!!

I know that I am supposed to gain weight while pregnant, but I was overweight pre-pregnancy and my doctor suggested that I should only gain 15-lbs max. I'm now 26 weeks and I've already gained 15 pounds. Although what really has me scared is tha the last two weeks I have gained 3 lbs a week. If I continue at this rate I'm going to gain back the entire 60lbs that I lost just so I could get pregnant. I'm completely frustrated and annoyed because it's hot and when I exercise my thighs are chaffing. I am on complete replacement for a non-functioning thyroid, but my dose hasn't been upped in months and I think that might be the problem. I also was taking 1000mg of metformin twice a day before I was pregnant for insulin resistance caused by PCOS. The metformin is really how I was able to lose so much weight before getting pregnant. I don't want to get so big again. I gained 90 pounds when I was pregnant for my son because my thyroid wasn't moinitered. Today I saw the midwife and she told me that obviously I'm eating too much. I thought that was so rude. I think obviously there's a problem if up until three weeks agao I had only gained 7lbs and now suddenly I'm plimping out. Has anyone else had massive gains like this and did they stop? Tomorrow morning I'm going for bloodwork to test my sugar, thyoid and iron levels so my ob can have the result for my appointment on Friday. I don't want to starve my baby, but I don't think me gaining too much weight is healthy either. I was so depressed after having my son and the delivery was aweful being that heavy. I was really hoping for a positive birth experience this time. Any advice out there? I'm already eating clean, counting WW points plus and walking 3 miles/day. Thanks.

Advertisement

MandaMommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

Are you on synthroid? Your dr or midwife should be monitoring your tsh and free t4 so that your meds can be adjusted appropriately. I started this pregnancy on 100 but have been bumped up several times, I'm now up to 175 at 30 weeks.

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help my weight is skyrocketing 3lbs a week!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia.aline View Post
Are you on synthroid? Your dr or midwife should be monitoring your tsh and free t4 so that your meds can be adjusted appropriately. I started this pregnancy on 100 but have been bumped up several times, I'm now up to 175 at 30 weeks.
Exactly!!! Yes I'm taking generic synthroid (levothyroxine) 175 mcg/day. Pre-pregnancy I was taking 150 on full replacement so they have only uped it once and that was in March because my TSH went up. Now it's June and I'm 26 weeks and growing larger my the second. They said that they should only have to test it every three months, but I through a fit today and they're testing it again. Even not pregnant the endo was testing me every 6 weeks because my levels just don't stay put and she was trying to help me lose wight. I know that my levels are off because my wieght is climbing, my hair is falling out and I absolutly cannot poop (sorry tmi) and that's what always happens when my med are wrong. The midwife said that my endo should test it and the endo says that the ob office should test it because I'm pregnant. I hate being tossed back and forth between doctors over whose job it is. I'm not sure what they have to lose by ordering the test. It took every ounce of strength in my body today not to clock the lady when she looked at me straight in the eye and said that I just eat too much. I'm not usually a violent person, but chaffing thighs and stupid people make me angry lol. Thank you for your support.
MandaMommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm being tested every 4 weeks now since my lack of thyroid (had the RAI ablation to kill it) has started to cause some complications with my placenta. My drs are just trying to get me to 36weeks at this point and hoping to go further but not counting on it. I'm really not trying to scare you but if I was you I would refuse to leave your OBs office until y'all have a serious talk about your thyroid and make sure your meds are correct. If you are gaining like that and it's NOT your thyroid they need to help you figure out what it is. The last time they upped my meds was 2 weeks ago and I lost 3lbs that week.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #5
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

Please pm me if you need to talk, people don't always understand how important your thyroid is for your body and how hard it is to not have one.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:35 AM   #6
regenolds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't have any thyroid issues but the mid 20ish weeks I've always gained the bulk of my weight and then slowed down. Like 10 pounds between my 4 week visits. And my midwife seemed to think it was normal. Baby is growing a lot and amniotic fluid and blood are increasing a ton right now for you. Too bad your midwife is not more supportive and helpful!
Old 06-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #7
mom2corag
Registered Users
seller
seller

It could also be the heat and water retention. I don't have the medical issues, but gained a lot in a few weeks and realized that I was swelling a lot and dehydrated. Drinking more water helped me to lose the swelling and the weight gain was mostly related to that.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #8
mom2corag
Registered Users
seller
seller

It could also be the heat and water retention. I don't have the medical issues, but gained a lot in a few weeks and realized that I was swelling a lot and dehydrated. Drinking more water helped me to lose the swelling and the weight gain was mostly related to that.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #9
luvthefluff
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

awe mamma! i have gained 3lbs a week for the last two weeks too 6lbs since my last 2 week appt.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #10
pharmmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Could be thyroid (throw a fit until someone agrees to check your levels every 4-6 weeks until after delivery), could be dehydration/heat (make sure to drink a lot of water so you'll retain less), and it could just be bouncing weight gain (they say x lbs/week, but it's an average. Most will gain almost nothing some weeks and a couple pounds other weeks.)
Pharmacist, wife to a nerdy chemist, and proud mama to Leta (12/2006), Derek (4/2009) and Viola (7/2012). Now if only I could figure out a way to quit my job and still pay my student loans all would be well with the world.
pharmmama is offline   Reply With Quote