Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
akhwbj1
Registered Users
seller

Food Allergies

We had our son tested for allergies today and they did a few food ones also. He tested positive for peanut, corn, soybean, and fish. The allergist said that the peanut and corn were not bad reactions, but the soybean and fish ones were. We are now having to change the way we eat and everything for little man. We are hoping this is the cause behind his constant diaper rash and ecsema(sp). So it looks like we have to cut out anything processed (which we were wanting to do anyways). I am needing some good cracker(goldfish or aunt annie's bunnies), snack type, and any other recipes you may have. He is a very picky 2 year old when it comes to food anyways, so I want this to be a smooth transition for him! Thanks so much!!!

Advertisement

akhwbj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:30 AM   #2
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Food Allergies

I have not tried these but I have tried similar ones. I don't think they are quite the same, but my dd loves them http://www.plantfoodfabulous.com/201...-crackers.html .

You might find this blog useful- especially the recipe section http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/

Here is another blog we like a lot - and she has a peanut allergy too- this is her ranch recipe but check out all her recipes. http://joyinmykitchen.blogspot.com/2...-crackers.html . We have not tried this but have tried several of her recipes and have liked them all. "mom's whole wheat bread" recipe is what we use for our sandwich bread.

If you do google searching for specific foods he likes you'll probably find some.

Highly recommend Enjoy Life Chocolate chips (they do sell cookies and such, but I have heard they aren't that great- the choc chips are excellent)- they are top 8 free. I know you don't need to avoid milk, but finding chocolate chips without soy or peanut cross contamination risks is rather difficult. DD is almost 5 and she just had her first chocolate chip cookie thank to Enjoy Life.

With the peanut- just because it wasn't a bad reaction doesn't mean you can be less vigilant on that one (not saying that you are). Peanut allergies can be very unpredictable and tend to get worse with exposure. That is not always the case, but it is common. And one reaction is not a predictor of future reactions (unless its ANA- then your pretty much sure to have ANA). Peanut allergy are weird like that.

Soy is going to be hard. Most peanut free stuff relies on soy. Sunbutter (fake peanut butter) uses sunflower seeds, but is processed on equipment that also processes soy. Blue Diamond Almonds (they also make Almond Butter) are peanut free, but their website doesn't say anything about soy so if you need a peanut butter replacement (either for you or your lo) call their customer service number. Since my dd's are peanuts (bad), milk, coconut and the random cantaloupe. We avoid TN due to cross contamination risk. We relay pretty heavily on soy- its both our PB sub and dd milk sub. It pretty much is in everything processed, corn too.

There is a food allergy forum on babycenter. If you have a question there is almost always someone who has the answer.
Were you given an epi-pen?

Last edited by jbug_4; 06-12-2012 at 05:35 AM. Reason: added link
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:06 AM   #3
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You may want to consider having actual food tolerance testing done before you change to much. Allergy testing skin or blood are not as definative as you might think. You can have very low level positives and have a more severe reaction. You can also test positive at a higher level and not be symptomatic. If you are going to eliminate you could test by reintroducing once you are symtom free. Having to eliminate foods cna be challenging and expensive and you do not want to do it unless you know he has a true allergy. Did the doctor give you an epi pen?
Old 06-12-2012, 07:18 AM   #4
JAG's baby mama
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Our kids inherited our food allergies and we easily proved that via elimination. ITA with PP's comments.

We occasionally re-introduce the foods they are allergic to to see if the problems reoccur and to see if we can build some kind of resistance (since some studies show that eating small levels over longer time periods reduces the shock to their system).

I also found the recent article in Discover on allergies to be compelling. If I can find a link, I'll post it here. It basically said, in part, that people develop allergies because their immune system is "bored." It mentioned some study where a guy gave himself hookworms on purpose (thus giving his immune system something to fight) to see if his reaction to his allergens decreased (and they did). I wouldn't recommend giving your child hookworms, but you may want to see if your LO's reaction to allergens is different when he/she has a cold, for example. Just an idea.

Good Luck!
Old 06-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #5
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

Our allergy test results are not really the same as what DD reacts to- she tested positive for all sorts of stuff that she had regularly been eating, so we were told not to eliminate those things- it would have been a lot-wheat, soy, egg. We just don't give her nuts or peanuts which she tested for and reacted to (or anything that has even come close to a peanut in any way). I did find that when I eliminated peanuts from my diet when I was nursing, it had a huge impact on her excema- like here one day gone the next.
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
akhwbj1
Registered Users
seller

No he did not get an epi pen. Only reason being is because we already have them for me, and I am a Paramedic who has a jump bag at home with epi in it. If for some reason he would have a severe reaction we are covered. So the doctor did not see a reason to give me one for him.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

These are on our list to try too, but we haven't yet.
http://tammysrecipes.com/whole_wheat...graham_squares

This one I have reservations about- I don't drink coffee so i don't know a lot about it. Would the caffeine still be present after baking? That's my only reservation.
http://mrspollocksadventures.wordpre...aham-crackers/

These are excellent http://www.theleangreenbean.com/reci...ipe_id=6012619 . I replaced most of the white flour with whole wheat, the butter with applesauce and skimped on the sugar- I just dipped cup in and didn't fill it or pack it. They are really good. Next time I will use less batter or more jam though. The applesauce puffed them up a bit, made the bar bigger. She has some other interesting recipes, but we've been kind of hit and miss on liking them. And if your in the need of a back to basics jam recipe (its been a while since I bought jam so i don't know how many are available now with out corn syrup) http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/201...ithout-pectin/ . I think those are all the real food sites I use.

Last edited by jbug_4; 06-12-2012 at 10:53 AM.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #8
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok- pretty sure this is the last one I have- completely forgot about it. http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/ho...iencefoods.htm . Her pancake syrup does not include corn syrup.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #9
akhwbj1
Registered Users
seller

Thanks so much! I'm going to go check out all the recipes once little man takes a nap.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #10
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the poster that said that those tests are not super accurate. I would start by eliminating the foods that you think are the biggest problem, and then see how he does. I don't know any of your story, but I've heard from people who were told that they were allergic to all kinds of things that they actually seemed to tolerate just fine.
If you want to read about a diet that might help to fix his food allergies, check out the GAPS diet. It heals the immune system so that it doesn't overreact to lots of substances.I would also cut out all processed food, if possible, and add in as much fermented food (yogurt, kefir, real fermented pickles, kombucha, etc) as possible.