Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2012, 10:12 PM   #1
Believer318
Registered Users

My Mood:
IndoctriNATION

Just watched this documentary tonight. It was awesome. It shows how Christ has been purposely taken out of Schools. I would highly recommend!

Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: IndoctriNATION

Truthfully I prefer to do my childrens religious education myself. I am a christian but find so many so called christian teachings to be out of harmony with the bible. I personally would really like it if both christmas and easter were removed from secular education. Easter is a variation of Ishtar. Try looking up the "pagan origin of easter".
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
Believer318
Registered Users

My Mood:

I agree with you qsefthuko about the holidays, etc., but this documentary doesn't discuss that. It just really hits home that if you are a Christian one of the worst things you could do is send your child to a secular school. Many Christian teachers are interviewed. It's not condemning, but very eye-opening.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Religion has no place in public school. Ask yourself how you would feel about your child being taught Zoroastrianism in school. That is how others feel about their children being taught Christianity as fact in public schools. Honestly not all Christians agree about the right way to worship. Faith does not belong in public education; science, math, history, and language arts belong in public education.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:37 AM   #5
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:

Christ never should have been in public schools to begin with...it's called separation of church and state...one of those things our nation was founded on
Old 06-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

....I didn't see it but I went and read a few articles. I don't know FOR SURE what the overall message is, but I get the feeling that it is that Christianity should be fundamental in schools? If that's the case, man oh man there went freedom of religion.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #7
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

Uh yeah, religion has NO PLACE in public schools. I don't want my kids being taught about any religion in school but I sure as **** don't want them being taught that christianity is the right religion and all the others are wrong. I am not religious but I want my kids to have the chance to explore all religions before formulating their own personal opinion on the subject. There are passages in the bible about this anyways that prayer should be inside the family etc (it's been a long time since I read the bible) and it is your responsibility as a parent to teach your child religion if you want them to be religious.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:44 AM   #8
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeCo7707 View Post
....I didn't see it but I went and read a few articles. I don't know FOR SURE what the overall message is, but I get the feeling that it is that Christianity should be fundamental in schools? If that's the case, man oh man there went freedom of religion.
The trailer was mostly white haired old men complaining about something from which they are quite far removed. I also heard southern Baptist mentioned. Newsflash: Christian doesn't equal Southern baptist. There are far more denominations out there than baptist and they don't all have the same fundamental beliefs.

Also, anyone who thinks religion has been taken out of schools is clueless. There is plenty of it in Alabama. There is still prayer before football games. My son's 4th grade teacher had a Bible verse as part of her email signature. Kids can wear religious t-shirts. It just can't be lead by the teachers/administrators. The ONLY way to take religion out of the schools is for parents to take it out of their kids!

Re the bolded: If you (general) want a religious school, knock yourself out. Find one that teaches in line with what you believe and send your kids there. Just remember that the SECOND you insist that YOUR religious beliefs be taught in your public school, you open the door for ALL religious beliefs to be taught. Unless you are willing to have the Muslim teacher who teaches chemistry to tell your kids about Allah, you shouldn't be insisting your kids' English teacher preaching Jesus to Hassan.

ETA: I attend a Lutheran church. My kids attend/will attend public school. I am confident in my ability to teach them the fundamentals of Christianity as I see them and send them out into the world to be a light of Christ in the midst of a secular world. If your child's understanding of the faith is so tenuous that hearing the word "gay" or "lesbian" is going to taint them, it's time to step back and re-evaluate your focus.

Last edited by mcpforever; 06-12-2012 at 08:48 AM.
mcpforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:53 AM   #9
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think you misunderstood me. I was attempting to be a bit sarcastic, but online my very cool sarcasm voice is nullified. I don't think religion has any place in school, but IF I sent my kid to a public school I wouldn't give a rats hinnie WHAT the teacher believed as long as the teacher was doing their job. I realize you said general and it may not have been totally aimed at me, but I felt misunderstood (not that that is your fault). I think in order to have freedom of religion you either need to take it ALL out or let it ALL in.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #10
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeCo7707 View Post
I think you misunderstood me. I was attempting to be a bit sarcastic, but online my very cool sarcasm voice is nullified. I don't think religion has any place in school, but IF I sent my kid to a public school I wouldn't give a rats hinnie WHAT the teacher believed as long as the teacher was doing their job. I realize you said general and it may not have been totally aimed at me, but I felt misunderstood (not that that is your fault). I think in order to have freedom of religion you either need to take it ALL out or let it ALL in.
I was agreeing with you and just expounding (cause I am avoiding thinking about what's bothering me today) on your point. Sorry if I seemed to misunderstand. I absolutely agree that it is pretty much an all (including religious beliefs that don't apply to the OP's religion) or nothing kind of thing. I am ok with student driven practices such as Muslim prayer times and a Christian saying grace before lunch. I am NOT ok with a teacher teaching religion, even my own, since that would mean it's ok for another teacher to teach a religion that is NOT my own.