Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #11
mamalove3
Registered Users

Re: IndoctriNATION

Several people have mentioned freedom of religion, but what about our freedom to support the things that we believe in and to not support the things that we don't believe in. I don't believe in what the public schools teach, therefore I don't send my kids to the public school. So, why is it that I have to pay to keep the public schools going? Why should MY hard earned money have to go to support something I don't believe in? NOW where is freedom. I find that absolutely disgusting.

Advertisement

mamalove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #12
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalove3 View Post
Several people have mentioned freedom of religion, but what about our freedom to support the things that we believe in and to not support the things that we don't believe in. I don't believe in what the public schools teach, therefore I don't send my kids to the public school. So, why is it that I have to pay to keep the public schools going? Why should MY hard earned money have to go to support something I don't believe in? NOW where is freedom. I find that absolutely disgusting.
The same reason that everyone, whether they even have kids or not, pays: It is far better to send all children for some sort of education than to not. Kind of like everyone pays for things like roads and the police force and the fire department. I have personally never needed to drive one 90% of the roads that I have helped fund, but I don't complain about how I should only be taxed for the 10% I do use. I have never had to call the fire department, but I certainly contribute to them should the need ever arise!

You are free to teach your children as you see fit. You are free to give to whatever church or charity you want. You are free to lobby to get whatever it is that you think is being taught in public schools out. You are free to use public schools. You are free to not use public schools.

ETA: I believe in math. I believe in reading. I believe in critical thinking. I haven't found the schools here to be teaching anything against my beliefs.

ETAA: And why should I want to support sending my child to a public school that teaches Chrisitianity differently than I do at home? It would really be pretty sad for a Baptist teacher to tell my kids that their infant baptisms aren't real or that they are going to hell for consuming alcohol. Why should any brand of Christianity get a bigger influence than another?

Last edited by mcpforever; 06-12-2012 at 09:47 AM.
mcpforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #13
holly6737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Jewish in-laws would LOVE Christ to be back in public schools.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #14
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
I was agreeing with you and just expounding (cause I am avoiding thinking about what's bothering me today) on your point. Sorry if I seemed to misunderstand. I absolutely agree that it is pretty much an all (including religious beliefs that don't apply to the OP's religion) or nothing kind of thing. I am ok with student driven practices such as Muslim prayer times and a Christian saying grace before lunch. I am NOT ok with a teacher teaching religion, even my own, since that would mean it's ok for another teacher to teach a religion that is NOT my own.
Gotcha! No problems with misunderstanding, it happens. Cyber high five for realizing we were saying the same thing!

Quote:
Why does my hard earned money have to go to pay for things other people need?
Old 06-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #15
mamalove3
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
The same reason that everyone, whether they even have kids or not, pays: It is far better to send all children for some sort of education than to not. Kind of like everyone pays for things like roads and the police force and the fire department. I have personally never needed to drive one 90% of the roads that I have helped fund, but I don't complain about how I should only be taxed for the 10% I do use. I have never had to call the fire department, but I certainly contribute to them should the need ever arise!

You are free to teach your children as you see fit. You are free to give to whatever church or charity you want. You are free to lobby to get whatever it is that you think is being taught in public schools out. You are free to use public schools. You are free to not use public schools.

ETA: I believe in math. I believe in reading. I believe in critical thinking. I haven't found the schools here to be teaching anything against my beliefs.

I don't think those are even comparable. Everybody uses roads. Everybody is going to call 911 if there house is on fire or if there house is being broken into or whatever it may be.

Yes, I am free to teach my children as I see fit. Yes, I am free to give to whatever church or charity I want. So, then, why should I be made to give to public schools when I don't believe in them and don't agree with what they teach. I think that is just plain wrong.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #16
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I don't think those are even comparable. Everybody uses roads. Everybody is going to call 911 if there house is on fire or if there house is being broken into or whatever it may be.

Yes, I am free to teach my children as I see fit. Yes, I am free to give to whatever church or charity I want. So, then, why should I be made to give to public schools when I don't believe in them and don't agree with what they teach. I think that is just plain wrong.
I will not say what I really want to say about your thinking as I have nothing nice to say BUT I am gonna touch on the 911 thing. Not EVERYONE calls 911 in their lifetime HOWEVER, they still pay to support it because they may one day need it AND it is for the good of the community. Not everyone will use public schools BUT they are for the good of the community because I assure you that homeschooling is NOT for everyone and a whole bunch of uneducated children growing into uneducated adults is not good for ANYONE. Sorry but your argument is weak.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #17
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalove3

Because believe it or not, public schools serve a purpose. Not everyone is privileged enough to homeschool, some parents could care less... Public school is a place where under prilivleged children may actually have an escape from a terrible home life...these children are our future, the ones that will be taking care of you when you are old... don't you want them to have a good education? It isn't just about you, it's about supporting our future as a country.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #18
mamalove3
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionably Green Baby View Post
I will not say what I really want to say about your thinking as I have nothing nice to say BUT I am gonna touch on the 911 thing. Not EVERYONE calls 911 in their lifetime HOWEVER, they still pay to support it because they may one day need it AND it is for the good of the community. Not everyone will use public schools BUT they are for the good of the community because I assure you that homeschooling is NOT for everyone and a whole bunch of uneducated children growing into uneducated adults is not good for ANYONE. Sorry but your argument is weak.

I never said that children shouldn't be educated. Also, I don't feel educating children in public schools is for the good of the community. At least the way our public schools are right now.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #19
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

No. Everybody doesn't use roads. And nobody uses every road they help fund. (except maybe sanitation workers) 911 didn't help the guy who didn't pay his fire bill for numerous years. His house burned down. He didn't "believe" in supporting something he thought he'd never need, just like you don't "believe" in supporting public schools.

And you COULD send your kids to public school. It IS available for your use. It's great that you can homeschool your kids. Not every single working parent has that luxury. Of course, all widows/widowers, abused women, and former partners to the unfaithful should just be ashamed that they are single in the first place.

School vouchers, I'm good with. Get one and use it to send your child to your favorite religious school. Just don't complain that the secular public school down the road has better facilities.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #20
holly6737
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
I never said that children shouldn't be educated. Also, I don't feel educating children in public schools is for the good of the community. At least the way our public schools are right now.
Thankfully you are making a moot argument. Public schools are never going to go away, ever.