Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #21
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: IndoctriNATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalove3 View Post
I never said that children shouldn't be educated. Also, I don't feel educating children in public schools is for the good of the community. At least the way our public schools are right now.
I think this statement would be the same as me saying, "I don't think educating children at home is the best for our society. There are too many backwoods, ignorant hillbillies bringing up even more ignorant children for us to allow it." Is this happening? Absolutely. Is it on such a scale that we should take away the choice for homeschoolers? Absolutely not!

There is a huge range of public schools out there just as there is a huge range of homeschoolers out there. Lumping them all together and saying there is not place because you or I don't agree with certain aspects of them is pretty short sighted.

Advertisement

Old 06-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #22
mamalove3
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieLyn View Post
Because believe it or not, public schools serve a purpose. Not everyone is privileged enough to homeschool, some parents could care less... Public school is a place where under prilivleged children may actually have an escape from a terrible home life...these children are our future, the ones that will be taking care of you when you are old... don't you want them to have a good education? It isn't just about you, it's about supporting our future as a country.

LOL. You're making it sound like I'm a big, bad person. I don't believe children in our public schools are getting a good education. Period. Yes, you're right. These children are our future. I want to support the future of our country. What the public schools are teaching is not something I want in the future of our country. Public schools do serve a purpose. To make unthinking, immoral, and indoctrinated human beings.
mamalove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #23
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalove3

LOL. You're making it sound like I'm a big, bad person. I don't believe children in our public schools are getting a good education. Period. Yes, you're right. These children are our future. I want to support the future of our country. What the public schools are teaching is not something I want in the future of our country. Public schools do serve a purpose. To make unthinking, immoral, and indoctrinated human beings.
I went to public school and do not consider myself unthinking, immoral or indoctrinated...did you go to public school?
Old 06-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #24
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

I find it interesting that Christian students aren't allowed to have Bible studies or prayer groups but public schools allow Imams to come in and use the gym to hold Friday services where the girls sit behind boys and menstruating girls at the back.
http://www.torontosun.com/2011/07/04...-public-school

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #25
mamalove3
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieLyn View Post
I went to public school and do not consider myself unthinking, immoral or indoctrinated...did you go to public school?

Yes, I did and received a very poor education.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #26
MyLovely
Registered Users

So we get rid of public schools...then what? Where do children get educated?

ETA: I went to public schools my entire life (eight in all, across the country) and adored every single one. They're not perfect but I got a very well-rounded education. I'm sorry you, Believer, feel differently but your experience is not the norm.

Last edited by MyLovely; 06-12-2012 at 10:44 AM.
MyLovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #27
mamalove3
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLovely View Post
So we get rid of public schools...then what? Where do children get educated?

ETA: I went to public schools my entire life (eight in all, across the country) and adored every single one. They're not perfect but I got a very well-rounded education. I'm sorry you, OP, feel differently but your experience is not the norm.

Who said we should get rid of public schools?
Old 06-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #28
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Seriously SERIOUSLY? You have got to be kidding me. That is the most ignorant statement I have heard in a while. The fact that you are homeschooling your children with these beliefs is a little scary for me....but then again the fact that my kids go to public school is scary for you so it's a wash right?

I am not unthinking, immoral, or indoctrinated, however I am also not brainwashed by any religion either. I am a good person because I CHOOSE to be a good person, not because I fear some god. As PP stated, there are good and bad in both public school and home school. I personally don't like the idea of close minded people running our country but it's gonna happen. There needs to be balance and public schools help offer that. Not everyone can or quite frankly wants to homeschool. I certainly don't want to homeschool because I think my kids get a lot from their excellent public school. I do not, however, belief that homeschool is bad, just not for my family just as public school is not for your family.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #29
MyLovely
Registered Users

Quote:
You said "I don't feel educating children in public schools is for the good of the community." So what's your solution?
Old 06-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #30
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalove3

You can't complain about something and not have a solution. If public schools are so bad then what should we do?