Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:
Routine Prenatal Blood Work

What is included in the lab work and did you do it (or are you going to)?

I am especially I interested in hearing from mamas with multiple children. I have two older kids and had the blood work with them, but at this point I am not interested in paying out of pocket for redundant stuff (i.e. STDs, Rubella, Varicella, etc.) I know I don't have any STDs, and I know I am immune to Rubella and Varicella (and both my kids have had the pox since my last pregnancy, so I know I have really good immunity now! LOL.

Advertisement

Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
abhernandez
Registered Users

Re: Routine Prenatal Blood Work

Between 2 mcs and rpl testing, I've had everything standard and plus a whole lot more run 3 times in the last 12 months. And even my husband was tested as part of the rpl stuff. I'll still do it for this pregnancy though. I guess I'd rather be safe than sorry (which I know is beyond paranoid and I have no reason to worry.) I don't know how much it costs out of pocket though. I might reconsider if insurance didn't cover it.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

I believe if you birth somewhere you usually must comply to an HIV screening. For the safety of those working on you? I know we are required to be tested at our birth center.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
weesej
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have never been required to do an HIV test. I have birthed in multiple hospitals. When I need to pay out of pocket, I usually just ask for the complete blood count and and metabolic labs be done.

"It's not healthy to have spirochetes eating away at your brain" What do you know about Lyme?
weesej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesej View Post
I have never been required to do an HIV test. I have birthed in multiple hospitals. When I need to pay out of pocket, I usually just ask for the complete blood count and and metabolic labs be done.
Neither have I - I am shocked that they would require it! Anyway, we homebirth so I am all set there, but I was thinking CBC and H&H if anything, will see what my midwife says in a few weeks. At this point I am not in a rush for my first appointment LOL.
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've done it with both my boys. It was a blood confirmation of being pregnant, HIV status, other STD status, and checking blood counts. I will probably not do it with this baby as nothing has really changed, and if my MW feels there is a problem down the road I can always do it then.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #7
brookglen
Registered Users

We both had to do Tay Sachs since my husband is Jewish, and I have no idea what else they did the first time around. We are out of pocket until July 1st. So I'm trying to do as little as possible until then.
brookglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #8
PinkInk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm just going to see if they can test whatever they need to test when they do my 28 week glucose test... I'm not getting drawn any more than I absolutely have to because I have awful veins, I usually get sick and faint.

Birth Boot Camp Certified Childbirth Educator training couples in natural childbirth.

I blog at In Pink Ink
PinkInk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:14 PM   #9
808mamaof3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have 2 boys and this is my 3rd pregnancy. I'll probably do all the standard blood draws. I think I'll get one at my first appt. next week, and another for the glucose test. Luckily the old nurse at my ob's is soooo good and uses baby size needles so no bruising or pain.