Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Product broke- how would you feel?

I bought something from a well known WAHM and have purchased her products before. Well within one week of receiving it broke so I emailed. We went back and forth a bit describing the problem and sending pics but I need to send in for repair. It is cheap enough to ship but I am annoyed she isn't covering. It isn't like I had it for a long time and I need repair it was a faulty product to break that fast IMO. Also, I don't have the product for a few weeks while it is sent in. No partial refund or exchange and I pay return shipping? I am a little annoyed and probably won't shop there again now which stinks because before I would rave about the shop.

Advertisement

Old 06-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
pinky74
Registered Users
seller
seller

Personally, I would provide a smooth resolution to keep the customer happy. If my product indeed was faulty, I'd rather take loss than have an unhappy customer. I hope it works out for you!
Old 06-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
percussionsmith
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Product broke- how would you feel?

I think you should let her know how you feel. If she knows, she's likely to make it right because she values you as a person and a customer. She may even see this post and want to make it right before it goes any further...I think most WHAM's including myself, try to make sure every customer is happy. Thats part of what makes it so fun. Making people happy.... But, maybe its a fine line though between customer service and being taken advantage of.
Let me explain.... While I think WHAMs usually go above and beyond because the customer base is smaller and they want loyal, happy customers. Should they have to? Big companies don't pay for you to ship something back and don't pay you to not have your item for a while but are usually willing to fix it and send it back to you. And usually customers are satisfied with that...Why with WHAM's, who likely have less time and less money, do we expect even greater customer service and monetary "payback"?
Does PP require buyers to pay return shipping? Maybe she's just assuming "those are the rules" and you're ok with it.

Last edited by percussionsmith; 06-12-2012 at 02:16 PM.
percussionsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #4
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by percussionsmith View Post
I think you should let her know how you feel. If she knows, she's likely to make it right because she values you as a person and a customer. She may even see this post and want to make it right before it goes any further...I think most WHAM's including myself, try to make sure every customer is happy. Thats part of what makes it so fun. Making people happy.... But, maybe its a fine line though between customer service and being taken advantage of.
Let me explain.... While I think WHAMs usually go above and beyond because the customer base is smaller and they want loyal, happy customers. Should they have to? Big companies don't pay for you to ship something back and don't pay you to not have your item for a while but are usually willing to fix it and send it back to you. And usually customers are satisfied with that...Why with WHAM's, who likely have less time and less money, do we expect even greater customer service and monetary "payback"?
Does PP require buyers to pay return shipping? Maybe she's just assuming "those are the rules" and you're ok with it.
I know they are the rules but I would fight with a bigger company and lots do provide return labels. I could see if I just wanted to return or I BROKE the product but now paying another $2 it is just adding onto the price of the initial product and even though it is the way business is done, I don't think it is very fair to me. I would be much happier with just receiving my product at initial price plus shipping and not having any of this hassle. If there is a problem it most certainly wasn't my fault and now I have to pay even more to just have my product.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would be put off too, I would atleast expect that they cover shipping since its a case of faulty product. If you had broken the item that would be a different story, but it sounds like the item broke because it was not properly made. I would also expect a large company to cover shipping to and from for a repair if the problem was caused by poor construction
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
percussionsmith
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Did you ask for her to pay it and she declined, or did she just not offer? I just wonder if she realizes you aren't happy? In my shoes, as a new wham, I would want to do everything I could...even if it didn't feel fair either way. Happy customers are important...I hope it gets worked out! Good luck mama!
Old 06-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky74 View Post
Personally, I would provide a smooth resolution to keep the customer happy. If my product indeed was faulty, I'd rather take loss than have an unhappy customer. I hope it works out for you!
If I were a WAHM I would feel the same.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
mommaRNluvs7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by percussionsmith View Post
Not true. I've had big companies send me a return label via email to send a defective product back. I've also had companies offer a full refund on a broken item.

Unfortunately, it will totally depend on the WAHM. I've had some that I was amazingly pleased with for how well they've handled issues and I've had others who seemed lukewarm at best at the thought of rectifying THEIR mistakes.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #9
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaRNluvs7

Not true. I've had big companies send me a return label via email to send a defective product back. I've also had companies offer a full refund on a broken item.

Unfortunately, it will totally depend on the WAHM. I've had some that I was amazingly pleased with for how well they've handled issues and I've had others who seemed lukewarm at best at the thought of rectifying THEIR mistakes.
Every big ticket item I bought via TRU/BRU, Amazon, etc include a return label if anything is wrong or broken, and most have a 30day policy for manufacturer defect.

Did you specifically ask for return shipping to be covered, or a partial refund OP? If not, I would do so nicely. A lot of times people just expect someone to offer, when in actuality telling them exactly what resolution you want makes it smoother.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:18 AM   #10
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm sorry mama Some WAHMs just have poor customer service and don't stand behind their products. I bought 2 diapers from a WAHM last year. I paid in early August for Halloween diapers. I didn't get them until about 5 days before Halloween (was told it would be a 4 week turnaround). One had improperly applied snaps, so it was completely unuseable, the other had a ton of threads hanging off the embroidery, and it got worse after I prepped it. I emailed her telling her about the problems and how I was disappointed that I couldn't use either one. She told me "oh that stinks. I'll give you a xx% off your next order." What in the world made her think I would want to order again??

ETA: I know not all WAHMs have poor CS, and most probably have great... I just got WAHM-burned a crapload last fall, and sometimes I still get bitter about my experiences. I don't want anyone to think I'm WAHM-bashing.
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!

Last edited by Marianna1988; 06-13-2012 at 12:20 AM.
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote