Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
menthomas
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Wromg flow nipple now semi strike

Kay so I'm slightly freaking out. Ds2 is two months old and I just went back to work and I'm pumping for him. We figured out today that we were using a fast flow nipple when my mom has him, and today he was freaking out when I tried to nurse him after work. I had use a paci which he took readily and then quickly switch to breast . He did end up nursing from both sides and then I was able to nurse him again a little bit with less fight. We got a slow flow nipple and I'm off for the next two days and he won't have a bitter .

I'm just terrified he will end up preferring the bottle to breast. My ds1 never had this problem and nursed for 19 months. Any words of experience or advice????

Advertisement

menthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Wromg flow nipple now semi strike

I would just see what happens when you switch to the slow-flow nipple. It might not be an issue after all. We kept my daughter on the slow-flow nipple and it didn't occur to me until I was looking at bottles for this one that this is probably why she stopped taking the bottle at all. It was okay for us, though, because I nursed her at lunchtime.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
menthomas
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the comfort! I called the lactation consultant today at the hospital and she gave me some tips and he is already doing better, not pulling away and screaming. So Im hoping the slow flow nipple will solve our problems. I was bawling this morning because it is the worst feeling when your baby wont nurse!!!
menthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

The LO that I watched took a slow-flow bottle of breastmilk while she was with me 5 days a week and still breastfed whenever her mama was around until she was 14.5 months old and her mama was off for the summer (she's a teacher). So, now she is still breastfeeding at 15 months old and doesn't get any bottles. In the fall, she will go to a pre-school 5 days a week and may or may not take a bottle then, but if she does, it'll still be a slow-flow. She'll be almost 18 months by then, though, so if she only nurses when mom is around (morning and night) that will work for them.

Don't worry Mama. I think you figured out the solution to the problem and it should be smooth sailing from here.