Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
teacherpippi
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Non-dairy, non-soy formula?

Is there such a thing as non-dairy, non-soy formula?

My LO is 11 months old. I breastfeed her, but only have one bottle of milk in the freezer and need something for Monday when I go back to work. My pumping supply has been dwindling, but my LO still needs to eat! She reacts to dairy *I* eat, formulas which are dairy based are out of the question. I'm not crazy about giving her tons of soy either. I've picked up some soy formula just to have on hand and in case I can't find anything else. Does anyone make a non-dairy, non-soy formula?

Advertisement

teacherpippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
pharmmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Non-dairy, non-soy formula?

http://similac.com/baby-formula/simi...care-alimentum
Pharmacist, wife to a nerdy chemist, and proud mama to Leta (12/2006), Derek (4/2009) and Viola (7/2012). Now if only I could figure out a way to quit my job and still pay my student loans all would be well with the world.
pharmmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

It's hydrolyzed, the Similac is Alumentum (sp?) And the Enfamil is Nutrgemin (sp?) I think. While they are dairy based, they milk protiens, the cause of most dairy allergies in babies, are removed, I think.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #4
ecotwinmom
Registered Users
seller

It's pretty "crunchy" but here is a recipe for home made meat broth based formula. Good Luck! http://www.westonaprice.org/children...by-formula#lbf
ecotwinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

A completely non-dairy/non-soy formula would be an amino-acid based formula like Elecare or Neocate. As PPs have mentioned, Nutramigen and Alimentum are still dairy based, it is just broken down already.

Have you considered goat's milk? A lot of babies that cannot handle cow's milk do great on goat's milk (my second daughter was one of them). You could just go straight goat's milk, as well, and not worry about making a homemade formula. At her age I would probably go that route first, especially if it is going to be only a few bottles a day while you are at work.
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #6
pcjs
Registered Users

At 11 months, you probably need to talk to a doctor, but while you are at work, if you don't have enough breast milk, you could probably just do solids and water/another kind of milk like rice/help/almond/soy. Then, just breastfeed when you are home for the nutrients. I'd talk to a GI over a pediatrician who may have more insight into formulas.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:06 PM   #7
wendow
Registered Users
seller

As already mentioned, amino acid-based formulas like Neocate and Elecare are the ONLY milk & soy free formulas. These formulas are for babies with severe allergies and are typically prescribed by a doctor. Ds1 could tolerate no foods at all...nothing...and lived 100% on this type of formula until almost 2 and it was about 50% of his nutrition until 3yo. These are not your run-of-the-mill formulas.

Then, there are the hydrolyzed formulas like Nutramigen and Alimentum (also one called Pregestimil). They do contain milk but the milk proteins are broken down so small that most babies will not react to them.

Goat's milk, as mentioned by a pp, would be worth trying. We did not have luck with my milk allergic babies being able to drink goat's milk but it is tolerated by many babies.

With your baby being 11mos, you do have some options including using the alternative milks during the day. If you could still nurse when she is with you, that might would be the way I'd go.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:49 AM   #8
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son is on Elecare, and it did wonders for him. He's 3 and still on it through his tube. However, it is VERY expensive. Our formula bill through the medical supply company is about $3,000 a month. It can be obtained cheaper through the manufacturer, but our insurance only covers it through the home-care company.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #9
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There are dairy reduced lactose formulas.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #10
alicenwonderland
Registered Users
seller

Neocate. It's expensive, and takes like dirt. I really doubt a breastfed baby would take it happily.
alicenwonderland is offline   Reply With Quote