Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-29-2012, 04:13 PM   #21
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: any nurses or doctors? UPDATE!

I didn't see this before, but that was my first thought -- constipation. My youngest has had this happen a couple of times, and has had UTI's tied to the constipation. For her, it's dairy related and my fault for not watching what she's eating. We've had to become much more strict about it. Until she came along and had issues, I didn't realize you could poop on a regular basis and still be considered constipated.

Glad to hear they figured it out and it's an easy fix. Might be a good idea, though, to follow up with a naturopath if possible and make sure there aren't any food issues that tie into it. For us, it's not allergies, just sensitivities that aggravate bowel movements (one child with wheat and 2 with dairy), so the regular doctors couldn't figure it out, as they don't test for sensitivities.

Advertisement

tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #22
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
Formerly: daddyn3wisechix
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Might be a good idea, though, to follow up with a naturopath if possible and make sure there aren't any food issues that tie into it. For us, it's not allergies, just sensitivities that aggravate bowel movements (one child with wheat and 2 with dairy), so the regular doctors couldn't figure it out, as they don't test for sensitivities.
ITA! Something is still causing the constipation, whether it just be he needs more fluids, a food sensitivity/allergy, etc. but there is a cause for it. Using an enema & fiber is great for helping to clear things out, etc. to help get him back on track, but if you don't find the actual cause of it, it will most likely repeat itself (hopefully not, but odds are) & continue to be an issue. Dairy can be very constipating, so maybe even reducing dairy may help in addition to drinking more water.

I found out all of this cause & effect stuff when we were thrown into the life of gluten free... it isn't easy, but sure is way better than having a child in constant pain after eating gluten.

I have a friend who lathers her child up in lotion (he's 2)... expensive & chemical laden lotion to "cure" his eczema as there is nothing else (lotion wise) that will help keep his skin flare-ups under control. When I suggested she should look at food allergies, she said it is too hard... & that the LOTION cures it... I pointed out that if the lotion was a CURE, then she wouldn't need to keep using it.... silence... I was just trying to help both of them in the long run... if there are indeed food allergies/sensitivities that are left unchecked they can very definitely result in autoimmune diseases & cancer. I would never want that for anybody or their child.

Anyway, something that would be very good to get your DS on is probiotics if he isn't already taking them. They will help balance things out... perhaps his gut flora is just out of balance from everything in our air, food, water, etc. If he has ever had an antibiotic & not had a probiotic, his intestinal & gut flora is out of sync. Even if he hasn't taken ABX directly there are ABX in the food we eat & water we drink, so it could still be out of sync just from that.

Anyway, best wishes mama for a full recovery & no further issues !
Old 06-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #23
luvthefluff
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i didnt even think that there could be a reason other than more fluids and fiber that can cause constipation...that makes sense because my bff's daughter started having this problem as a baby...she is now 4 and still has to rely on miralax on a regular basis..its sad..i really dont want this to happen with my ds
Old 07-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #24
supermansmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thank you for the update I'm glad you found out the culprit and hope he gets cleared out soon. PPs had some good advice also. Hopefully you can find out the cause.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 07-02-2012, 08:10 AM   #25
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD gets constipated with too much dairy in her diet. Glad you found out what was bothering him. Hopefully, it's as simple as just getting it cleared, but there may be an underlying cause also.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #26
luvthefluff
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

he hardly drinks any milk..he drinks alot of water and deluted juice. he also like fruit..not veggies so much...ive decided to change some things around the house. anything that can be bought in 100% whole weat...I also got a recipe for whole weat flour for substituting in baking. trying to really boost up the fiber. I am hoping there isnt some other hidden reason as to why he doesnt poo all the way
Old 07-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #27
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthefluff View Post
he hardly drinks any milk..he drinks alot of water and deluted juice. he also like fruit..not veggies so much...ive decided to change some things around the house. anything that can be bought in 100% whole weat...I also got a recipe for whole weat flour for substituting in baking. trying to really boost up the fiber. I am hoping there isnt some other hidden reason as to why he doesnt poo all the way
Just be careful that you watch for any issues as 100% whole wheat is not the super health food most people think it is... it is VERY hard to digest & causes many sensitivities/allergies. He may seem fine at 1st, but watch for any changes. I'd personally do more long grain brown rice than whole wheat... wheat is in EVERYTHING & is a GMO, which is really bad.

I'd be sure to give him a probiotic & cut out juice as much as possible... fruit is good, but in general, juice has 1TBSP sugar PER OZ. Can you try to give him smoothies w/greens & veggies to sneak those in?? He wouldn't need a lot to get the needed servings. You can add fruit too & a little juice to green smoothies. Even if he had a smoothie a few days a week, look at the big picture & it would even out over the week, so he wouldn't have to have them every day & not break the bank.

I use organic carrots from Costco (huge 5# bag for $5.50), organic greens (16oz $5 Costco), bananas (not organic, but NOT a high pesticide load in them even buying non-organic), ice, & water. I have just recently been packing a ton of greens into them from our garden (like 4-5 packed full cups), so I have added a bit of juice (maybe 1/2-1 c max to 7 cups of smoothie) to them too because the greens are VERY apparent & I don't want my kids protesting. I actually just used 100% grape juice because I had it left from my glucose test instead of drinking the awful syrup.

Anyway, just some thoughts ! Best wishes!!
Old 07-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #28
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthefluff View Post
i didnt even think that there could be a reason other than more fluids and fiber that can cause constipation...that makes sense because my bff's daughter started having this problem as a baby...she is now 4 and still has to rely on miralax on a regular basis..its sad..i really dont want this to happen with my ds
I have a friend who is in her 50s who relied on them for years & now can't go potty at all w/out them. It is good for a temp help to relieve the here & now symptoms, but long term it is best to find the root cause & address that.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #29
CM6755
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DS was suspected to have Celiac disease, something about his blood work made work it necessary to do an endoscopy to rule it out. I admit, all of your LO's symptoms sound like Celiac's...i agree with PP..there is still a cause, the backed up intestine is the effect. I hate to be devils advocate, but......
Old 07-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #30
luvthefluff
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks guys..we go back to the GI doctor in a few weeks to follow up..and i am thinking about asking if there are any other things we can do (or a referal to someone who can) to find out where the underlying issue is coming from. He is still taking the mirilax twice a day (its been 4 days) and the instructions do not tell me how long he is supposed to take. so i guess i will call tomorrow. I would hate for him to be dependant on softeners.