Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
lotstolearn
Registered Users
seller

diaper rash help, so fed up

My 4 month old DD developed a rash over night. The rash was in the creases and over her pubic area, but was not on her buttocks. It was very red and painful and had little bumps that spread a little up towards her belly. I figured it was yeast and treated it with lotrimin, desitin, disposable diapers, and lots of naked time. The rash got better in a few days. Went back to cloth, and after about 2 diapers, it was back. Back to sposies and treated again. Stripped, bleached, and sunned the diapers. Also washed with grapefruit seed extract. After over a week, I put cloth back on her today and about 3 diaper changes later, we have another rash. It's not as angry looking as the first one, but I don't know if that's because we just caught it quick. It's in the same place (the pubic area and her creases) and lots of tiny bumps.

Help! Is this yeast? I don't know what else to do. She's EBF, I'm not on antibiotics. I'm so frustrated. DH is ready to quit cloth and stick with sposies.

Advertisement

lotstolearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
kkleinman
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: diaper rash help, so fed up

How much bleach did you use? you have to use quite a bit to kill yeast.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
lotstolearn
Registered Users
seller

About half a cup and I dried afterwards, then rewashed and dried again.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:01 AM   #4
Nattiecake
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Could be heat rash, too. My little guy has only had one real rash and it was a heat rash in his butt crack. Little bumps and redness was what it looked like.

+ + + + + my boutique baby shop
Nattiecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:46 AM   #5
lavatea
Registered Users
seller

We had a rash yesterday that sounds similar. He was fine (and dry) most of the night. He wet really heavily between 3 and 7. Took off the diaper in the morning and his skin looked bad. Took me all day to make it look better.

We alternated between naked time, fitteds, and quick rotation time between PUL diapers. I'm not sure if it was the wetness of that overnight diaper or the liner I had in it that caused the rash in the first place. My first thought was an ammonia burn (still not sure what that looks like), but the diaper didn't smell obnoxious so I guess I've ruled that out.
lavatea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:07 AM   #6
Servant4Christ
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What type of diaper? what's the inner fabric and soaker? DS has sensitivities to many fabrics. Or maybe the wetness factor? Ammonia burn is a possible option if you aren't using enough detergent, butdoesn't sound like it bc that's usually just major red... not bumpy, from what I've read.
Does this also happen during the daytime or just nights? I know lots of mamas that use a sposie for overnight and cd during the day.
Servant4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:20 AM   #7
2much2luv
Registered Users
seller
seller

Maybe detergent sensitivity? I might try another detergent.
2much2luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:38 AM   #8
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I couldn't see the pic, but my son had problems with a rash that was on his lower pubic area and groin, and it was MAINLY from wearing diapers with PUL, but also exacerbated by the wetness of a natural fiber fabric against his skin. He has to wear diapers with stay-dry inners, and covers that are made of breathable fleece or wool.

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #9
lotstolearn
Registered Users
seller

She wears mainly Fuzzibunz and a few pocket BG. I use Tide (the free and clear kind) and have since day 1. I don't think it's a reaction to detergent or the diapers, just because that's what she's always used. The first time we got the rash it was from overnight. This second time though was during the day and I changed her like every 20-30 minutes to make sure she wasn't sitting in pee.

I couldn't get the picture to show up on the page, but if you click on the link, it should take you to it.

Thanks for everyone's ideas. I feel so bad for her and I'm having a hard time convincing DH to keep using cloth, especially since this keeps happening.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:43 AM   #10
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Rashes can be frustrating, my son's issue with PUL didn't show up until he was 2 months old. You probably don't want the cause to be diapers or detergent, but it might be. With rashes, it's important to methodically try different things until you found out the cause -- even trying the things that you are certain could not be the source.

Honestly, if she cleared up in sposies it might be the detergent or the diapers or the creams/treatments you applied to her skin. My feeling is that if the rash returned within a couple diapers, it's the diapers or the detergent.

Last edited by boysniris; 07-28-2012 at 09:45 AM.
boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote