View Poll Results: Hybrid Diapers?
They're a total ripoff 19 20.88%
They are pricey but I do them anyway 8 8.79%
Cloth is the only way to go if you really care 64 70.33%
Disposable is the only way to go if you look at everything 0 0%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 11-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #101
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: The economics of hybrid diapers is broken

I get it. They're environmentally friendly, flushable, compostable, better for babies. They're not quite as cheap and convenient as plain ol' sposies, but those factors are important to some people. The upfront cost of the shells is a little more, too, but electric costs should NOT be a factor. If you're not washing a full out poopy/pee soaked diaper, there is no reason the shells can't be washed with regular laundry you're doing anyways. Besides, I think most people don't decide to do hybrids exclusively. People invest in hybirds to do cloth at home, and the sposie inerts out and about or on vacation for convenience.

K&K My little firecracker Lennon 10.09, crying before he fully emerged and My little sweetheart Indi 6.12, born smiling
bigmamakelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #102
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
My Mood:

I liked your response on p 5 (not quoting because it's long). You should look for a service in your area, you might be surprised to find something. If you don't find a diaper service I really recommend you do some more research into the different types of cloth diapers available.

My hubby and I both work full time outside the home and our baby wears nothing but cloth. Before he started eating solids I never had to do anything special with the poop, all the diapers were just washed thoroughly every 2-3 days. Yes, now I deal with poop, but it's no worse than picking up after our dog. The poopy diapers are thrown in a bucket in the bathroom, and when it's wash day I dunk the poopy ones in the toilet using a pair of bbq tongs and give them a rinse with water and oxiclean if needed. Then all the diapers go in the wash. It takes about 10 minutes out of my day, costs me nothing but the price of water and detergent (most estimates say a load of laundry costs 1-2$ total), and it saves 100 years of landfill waste. Our son has never had a diaper rash, and we don't ever worry about exposing his genitals to the nasty chemicals in disposables.

And the people on here are very helpful if you have questions.

Good luck!

Last edited by Palooka; 11-15-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #103
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
My Mood:

If you do hybrids it's MUCH more cost effective to buy cloth inserts. It's really not much laundry at all. It's more about what you are willing to do. Most people using hybrids are not buying the disposables inserts full time. Oh, and to solve the poop issue, you can buy disposable liners (look like a dryer sheet) and you just dump them w/ the poop in the toilet. I NEVER touch poop, ugh!
Cindy wife to B Mommy to C 3/10 S 3/11 K 4/13 due 10/15

Last edited by cdeweese; 11-15-2012 at 08:22 PM.
cdeweese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #104
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
My Mood:

I still think they are better than sposies..I can't afford the disposable inserts but if I could I would pay more for those just to keep the chemicals away from my kids,they all have terrible allergies to disposables.
CATHOLIC, Open to life,Pro-life from moment of conception to natural death ,mom of many blessings who LOVES to sew when I can find the time
Please excuse any typos ,my laptop keyboard has a mind of it's own

Last edited by booty hunter; 11-15-2012 at 08:32 PM.
booty hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #105
Registered Users

Originally Posted by cdeweese View Post
I NEVER touch poop, ugh!
Statements like the one above always make me chuckle. Seriously? Do you have a baby? Have they ever had a blowout? Have they potty trained? What parent doesn't really EVER touch poop? And really, there are grosser things in life. You'll live.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:24 PM   #106
Registered Users

Originally Posted by ALNaturMom View Post
If you want to look at our economics, look at the ruined $60 boutique outfits that were gifts from his grandmother from when he wore disposables that couldn't keep the poop inside the diaper. Cloth diapers are cheaper than a ruined wardrobe of fabrics that weren't made for poop.
Here, Here. Seems like every time I've put my son in disposables "for convenience" I've ended up cleaning poo off of everything, carseat included. Not. Very. Convenient. And I've cursed the manufacturers the entire time. Why would you make and market a product that is supposed to contain pee and feces, that doesn't. Or am I the only person who seems to have diaper failure 1 out of every 3 times I do use a sposie?
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote