Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-14-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
ang79
Registered Users
seller

Homemade Yogurt recipe - sugar subst.?

I've been playing around w/ recipes to make the perfect yogurt in my Euro Cuisine yogurt maker and have finally settled on one. DH said its the best yogurt he's ever had and the girls like it too. But, I'm thinking it has too much sugar (though it tastes great!). I tried another batch w/ less sugar and it just wasn't the same So, can I substitute honey or something else more natural or will that mess up the consistency (I prefer it quite thick so that my 3 year old doesn't end up covered in yogurt as she eats it!). Right now I'm using some organic sugar that a friend gave to me (it was a huge bag from Costco). I've never tried Stevia or Agave syrup, would I use a 1:1 ration for those or with honey? Any other ideas?

Here is the recipe I like. I've been making it in a 7 c. pyrex bowel so that we can scoop out what we need as wanted, rather than dealing w/ the little jars.

6 c. 2% milk - heat in microwave 15 min., stopping several times to stir
as milk cools, add 6 Tbsp. dry milk powder, 1/4 c. sugar, and 1 Tbsp. pure vanilla. Once cooled to 110 degrees, add 3 Tbsp. Stonyfield French Vanilla yogurt. Incubate 8-9 hrs.

Another question, I noticed the first time that there were some stringy things in the milk, from it skimming on top as it warmed. So I've been mixing everything up, then running it through a mesh colander as I pour it into the Pyrex bowl to incubate it. Am I losing the good probiotics and stuff when I do this? It just has a better overall texture when its finished if I do this step.

And one more question, I tried pure almond extract in place of the vanilla and that was good, any other ideas for flavoring while its cooking? I add fresh fruit or granola to it usually before eating, but like that little hint of flavor as well

Advertisement

PM me about my FSOT - mama bags, toys and other kids stuff!

My ISO: http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1592742
ang79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
triplomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Homemade Yogurt recipe - sugar subst.?

I don't make yogurt, so I'm not sure. However, I have fermented other foods, and the processes are not too different. My concern would be whether or not the sugar is needed to feed the bacteria needed to culture the yogurt. If so, then you need something that actually contains sugar, not something non-caloric like stevia or artificial sweeteners. If it's just in there for taste, then use whatever suits you. If you're using a liquid sweetener like honey, then you'd probably need to dial back the amount of liquid in your recipe. Good luck!
Sleep-deprived temporary SAHM to DD#1 9/09, and triplets : (DS , DD#2, and DD#3) 3/11. Sometimes all DH can do is :-).

Wanna TRADE? Check out my ISO/IHA thread!
triplomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
cbusbaby
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i can't help you out with recipes for that yogurt machine, but have you ever tried making just plain yogurt (i do it in the crockpot)? then you could add sweeteners like honey, homemade jam (my favorite!), other fruit, etc. to taste. i have also heard that people add jello packets for flavoring/thickening, but i dislike flavored yogurt so i haven't tried that.
cbusbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've made yogurt before, and never added sugar! You can just make plain yogurt and then if you want to sweeten it you can add the amount of sweetener you want... I used honey and never measured.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
tokidokikashikoi
Registered Users
seller

I wonder if adding sugar while you ferment us what is changing the texture? The bacteria you want feeds off of lactose not table sugar so you don't need it and in fact it might be introducing other kinds of bacteria.
tokidokikashikoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
ang79
Registered Users
seller

I just started adding the sugar and vanilla to sweeten it up a bit, as hubby is used to eating fruit on bottom yogurt (the super sweet sugary stuff, uck!) and the girls are used to Yoplait, then we moved to Stonyfield Blueberry or French Vanilla, but regular plain yogurt is too tart/bitter from what we've been used to. So adding this in makes it more to their liking. DD2 will eat hers w/ fresh fruit but DD1 doesn't like her fruit mixed in (though sometimes she'll let me add granola). And I saw it on several recipes so decided to give it a try and they all loved it! I was just wondering what other choices people have used for flavor or sweeteners. Wonder what the taste would be if I just used pure vanilla or almond w/o the sugar, then drizzled honey over it after its made?

PM me about my FSOT - mama bags, toys and other kids stuff!

My ISO: http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1592742
ang79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #7
crystalanne79
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I make it with stevia often and it turns out fine.

crystalanne79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #8
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The mama who has this blog is on DS sometimes. She has quite a bit of info about MYO yogurt.

http://baconinmypocket.blogspot.com/