Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-17-2012, 10:10 AM   #11
ButtRpies
Registered Users
Formerly: rjwinner
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mirena and weight gain?

I've had Mirena between dd and ds1 and I found that it started "hurting" while working out. I think it was placed a little weird. I have it again, since 6 weeks pp (8 months ago) and I've lost 25lbs. And I don't feel the "hurt" or pinching this time; that's why I think it was placed wrong for me last time.

Advertisement

Old 06-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #12
TakodasMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenebean214 View Post
Have you gotten your thyroid checked recently? That could attribute to weight gain, and it can get wonky after pregnancy/childbirth.

I know a lot of women who do not respond well to hormonal BC. I am one of them, it normally causes mood swings(I.e. crazytown) and awful PMS, among other things. With Mirena I have found it to be less traumatic, maybe because the hormones are lower and more localized to the uterus. I haven't had any issues with weight gain while on Mirena, which was placed about 4 months PP.

Paraguard is hormone free and lasts for 10 years. Maybe you should look into that instead!
I am really thinking about switching to paraguard. I believe I am going to call and talk to my gyno monday.

As far as my thyroid.. I had it checked about 4-5 months after I delivered and all was well.. because I was having horrible depression and mood swings.

It really bothers me to work out every day super hard, eat right and then not lose a pound for weeks at a time. Something isn't right. But no doctor will believe me because I am fat and I've always been slightly overweight. So I must just be lazy!
Old 06-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #13
jjgammon
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My only advice in regards to Paraguard is that I've heard it causes crazy heavy periods and cramping.

I can't even try it because I have a contact allergy to copper.
My ISO/IHA thread
jjgammon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #14
kts1120
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakodasMomma View Post
The copper IUD Is hormone free.. Mirena is LOADED with hormones that go straight into your uterus!
DOH! Sorry! It was paraguard I'm considering. The doc did also talk to me about Mirena at my appointment. Maybe that's why I was confused.
kts1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #15
TofuScramble
Registered Users
Formerly: DesertMomma

My Mood:

You don't have periods cause it thins out the lining in your uterus, it's not that unhealthy, pretty benign.
I have had Mirena almost 6 months, no weight gain.
The hormone amount is low and mostly local. I've had really bad issues with hormone BC in the past (mood swings, weight gain, no sex drive, really hard to reach O, acne).. I haven't had any of those issues with Mirena, so I'm a fan.
But I know it doesn't work for everyone.
TofuScramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:04 AM   #16
TakodasMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've been experiencing some pain this morning and if it persist I am going to see my OB tomorrow. I hope that it is a cyst popping and not my Mirena.

I am going to also go to the OB to see why I can't get this weight off and why I packed it on so easily.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #17
jjgammon
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakodasMomma View Post
I've been experiencing some pain this morning and if it persist I am going to see my OB tomorrow. I hope that it is a cyst popping and not my Mirena.

I am going to also go to the OB to see why I can't get this weight off and why I packed it on so easily.
90% chance s/he will deny it is caused by Mirena without even thinking about it. They make too much money off of them.
My ISO/IHA thread
jjgammon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:37 PM   #18
AugustHope
Approved as buyer only due to past issues.
seller
seller

*I had my mirena put in November 09 after my mom was diagnosed with cancer, knowing darn well that after so many years of ttc, this would be the time I would get pregnant, but if something were to have happened to my mom, I didn't want to take the chance of losing the baby or not being the best mom I could be because I would be mourning*

I lost weight with the mirena, but here is why- I had crazy bleeding the first 2 months and then spotting for another month or so. I felt like poo those first 3 months or so. Then, it was like the mirena was "scraping" for lack of better words, the inside of my uterus. AND THEN...I had one of the "rare" side effects. I lost almost 35 lbs from November 09-July 10. I could not keep food down/in at certain points. The longest spell was a 10 day time frame in March 2010--I wound up in the hospital being rehydrated, for 2 days. I asked about the mirena causing it and was told no. They checked to be sure it hadn't shifted and punctured somethine etc. The doctors called it the flu, the checked me for Krohns (sp), thryoid issues, scheduled numerous ultrasounds, said it was my pancreas, my gallbladder, etc etc. But no matter what they did I was sick. Laying on the couch one day I saw a commercial for one of those "call if you have taken this drug and we will get you money" attorneys regarding mirena. (no, I didn't call, but I did jump online and do research about the mirena). And to my suprise ALL of my symptoms were listed and said to contact doctor immediately. I had it taken out 2 days later, after all, we did want more babies anyway. I have not had any issue since.
With all of this said, IF we ever felt the need to go back on birth control, I would still very much consider the mirena, I would just read that little pamphlet they send with you about 12 times, I would watch for the symptoms again. What happened to me was rare, in fact the doctor that took it out had never had anyone have those symptoms at all. I had my mirena for just over 13 months. I have friends who have gone the entire time allowed (5 years?) with out so much as spotting or cramping.
Since this, I no longer discard those pamphlets that come with meds. I no longer just take the doctors word for things either!
Old 06-19-2012, 12:02 AM   #19
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

I got mirena a few months ago and I love it! I know the baby weight is slowly coming off so for me it seems to be okay.

On my smart phone which is clearly not as smart as it seems to believe
Old 06-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #20
TakodasMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgammon View Post
90% chance s/he will deny it is caused by Mirena without even thinking about it. They make too much money off of them.
Turns out it wasn't my Mirena.. It was a tumor on my left ovary.