Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-30-2012, 02:57 AM   #21
Earthy Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mirena and weight gain?

i got the paraguard after dd was born, if i were to get an iud again, thats the one id get. im not into hormones at all...
but i do think that paragard is better, not only becuase it is hormone free but it has been around WAY longer than mirena.
AND i felt that both ob/gyn's i talked to about bc while i was still pregnant, when i brot up wanting an iud both were very pushy on the mirena, and ya i thin its cuz they make a lot of money off it...pretty sad. but id never want one.
currently we r relying on trojans too... definately tta.
id recomend a paragard for sure!

Advertisement

Old 07-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #22
swingkid1975
Registered Users

I was just coming to post this question but saw that it had already been asked. I started working out and counting calories back in March and March-May lost 11 lbs, 4 1/2 of them in May. I had Mirena put in June 3rd and during the month of June gained 2 1/5 lbs.

I did nothing different during the month of June that I didn't do March-May when I lost the weight. I find it very odd that the month I have it inserted is the month my weight started going back up. I'm going to switch up some things on the exercise/food front this month, but if the weight continues to go up I guess I'll talk to my doctor.

ARGH!!!
Old 07-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #23
jmoon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakodasMomma View Post
Turns out it wasn't my Mirena.. It was a tumor on my left ovary.
Oh no! Is it benign? Are they going to remove it? I hope everything works out ok!
Old 07-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #24
mysticmomma1879
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yikes.
mysticmomma1879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:34 AM   #25
wildsissy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I too experienced lots of side effects with Mirena.. I gained and gained while I was on Weight Watchers and worked out constantly.. the acne.. mood swings.. spotting.. headaches.. and let's not even discuss the scars my husbands penis still bears YEARS later.. it was like an evil being living in my body... and I had an old school IUD for 8 years before that with NO side effects. My dr pulled it out after 6 months.
wildsissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:19 AM   #26
blossomgoat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I put on 24lbs in 2 years on the mirena. 12 months later, I was holding steady despite dieting. Now, after 5 week sof 1100 cal days and increased excercise, I've lost half of it. To me, 1100 cal a day is really pushing hard to lose weight, and it's still going VERY slowly.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #27
ooocharmsooo
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The Mirena is HORRIBLE. Plain and simple. Search in google for Mirena and side effects including weight gain and you will come across hundreds of posts JUST like yours.

Things that happened to me while on Mirena:
• Weight gain – despite eating right, exercising for at least an hour a day – and being active outdoors at least 4 days a week(took a jogging class and a volleyball class at the local JC)
• Crazy shooting tingly pain through my lady area up my back/spine
• Extremely sensitive finger tips?
• EXTREME Moodiness, I would cry for no reason, yell and get annoyed for the silliest things
• The lack of feeling myself
• Horrible muscle pains, there were days I couldn’t even carry my toddler up stairs to bed, even on my workout days off or if I skipped a week off..
• Acne o_O which has NEVER been a problem for me in the past
• Short fuse (I would often snap at my toddler for things I would NEVER snap at him for)
• Spotting for the entire time I had it in(6 months)

The list goes on and on and on and on… When I went to my OB about it after 6 months she looked at me like I was INSANE. She told me that I should get checked out for an auto-immune disease even though ALL my symptoms happened within 24 hours of putting it in. She was realllly trying to push me to leave it in and a demanded that she take it out, she did but was not happy about it. Needless to say I switched OBs… but what was even MORE surprising ALL the above symptoms went away within about a month. I kept my working out up and actually LOST a substantial amount of weight within the first few weeks. All the weird tingly pains where gone. I actually FELT like myself. I was happy again!

Anyways long story.. sorry about that.. although it could have just been ME but since then I have heard horror story after horror story about the Mirena.
ooocharmsooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #28
ooocharmsooo
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I guess I should also mention that I do not have an auto-immune disorder It was just weird symptoms of the mirena
ooocharmsooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:18 AM   #29
blossomgoat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

yeah... like she said.

I had:
moodiness
weight gain
sugar crashes
headaches
i bled for 10 weeks after insertion
my period went from 3 days of bleeding and 3 days of spotting to 10-12 full days. Oh, but my cycle was still 29d. And lets not get into the color, consistency, and stench of the mirena flow.

I blogged about having mine removed. It was such an eye-opening experience.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:18 AM   #30
blossomgoat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

yeah... like she said.

I had:
moodiness
weight gain
sugar crashes
headaches
i bled for 10 weeks after insertion
my period went from 3 days of bleeding and 3 days of spotting to 10-12 full days. Oh, but my cycle was still 29d. And lets not get into the color, consistency, and stench of the mirena flow.

I blogged about having mine removed. It was such an eye-opening experience.