Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Bed time for 5 month old?

I have been getting my 5 month old into a schedule at bedtime (rather than just going when I do) for the last month. I have been consistently been getting him to bed at 9 30/10ish but the last weeks or so he's starting falling asleep for a little bit around 7:30/8 and then not going to sleep till 10 or 10 30. I haven't tried putting him in his crib when he nods off so he often get awoken. I'm afraid 7 30 seems a little early but i'm not sure. Is that a normal time for him to go to sleep?

Advertisement

And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
ikitakunai
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Bed time for 5 month old?

I don't think 7:30 is too early at all, if you want to try it. It all varies greatly depending on your family, waking times, naps, other schedules...

My baby goes to sleep at about 7:30 if I make sure to keep her awake when she wants to take an early evening cat-nap (otherwise she'll wake after that and want to be awake past 8:00).
BF #1-31mos / #2-29mos & counting
ikitakunai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #3
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

ok, he used to take his nap around 2 and has been taking it around 12 lately so that makes sense!
Old 06-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Since he's having his afternoon nap earlier, then it seems normal to me. And if he's waking up and then still going to bed around 10pm, then I wouldn't worry about it. I am one of those parents who let my infants make their own sleep schedule. As long as it's convenient for you... just go with it. But then again, that's what works for me and my family. I know some families who NEED schedules to stay happy.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:37 PM   #5
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle_M View Post
Since he's having his afternoon nap earlier, then it seems normal to me. And if he's waking up and then still going to bed around 10pm, then I wouldn't worry about it. I am one of those parents who let my infants make their own sleep schedule. As long as it's convenient for you... just go with it. But then again, that's what works for me and my family. I know some families who NEED schedules to stay happy.

God bless!
Yeah, we're very go with the flow. He ended up going down for a little while at 8, then up for about a half hour and then I had to lull him back to sleep a couple times before he didn't wake up when I laid him down. I certainly won't midn if he starts going to bed earlier b/c then I get a while longer to myself in the evening (to fuel my DS addiction lol ).
Old 06-16-2012, 10:43 PM   #6
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

My daughter has had a 'bedtime' of 8pm her whole life. She's 20 months now.

Obviously, in the beginning, it meant that was when she was put in pajamas and put to bed with the expectation that she'd wake up in a couple hours to eat again.

We'd just start the routine at 7ish and put her down at 8.

I don't recall how we came to that time, perhaps it just worked out that her eating every 2 hours was on even hours and we picked 8pm for bedtime. Hard to say.

when she was under a year, she sometimes took a catnap at 6pm and still went down at 8pm. Or, she'd fall asleep and I'd wake her up at 8pm to feed and then lay her back down. It worked. I don't remember how it worked, it just did.

I used to sit on the couch and desperately try to keep her awake until 8pm as well.. lol.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:26 PM   #7
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

My 11 month old goes to bed between 630 and 7 pm.

On my smart phone which is clearly not as smart as it seems to believe
Old 06-17-2012, 11:43 PM   #8
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
My 1yr old has been going to bed by 7 since around 8m. Before that he was a 10-11pm bed time kiddo. He also dropped down to 1 nap a day. I always went off of his cues. His schedule has changed 3 or 4 times since birth for bed time, and each time was just randomly. It's far easier to go with cues and adjust routine to match, than have an over tired baby IMO. When he switched to 7pm I just started the dinner/bath etc routine earlier in the day and it all stayed the same. He sleeps 13-15hrs at night though, so he doesn't make for early mornings. He gets up around 8:45.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:35 AM   #9
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Most babies at that age take 2-3 naps a day.

My four kids all went to bed between 7:30 and 8:00 at that age. They slept solid until 6:30 or 7:00 the next morning.

I do like pp said, put them down by 8:00 starting at birth, with the understanding that for a few months I will be feeding them a couple times before morning.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #10
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ok, DS has been taking a nap around noon and another nap around 3 or 4. Ten I've been getting him down around 8. He usually wakes up at 9 to eat for some reason and then goes back to sleep for a couple hours or more. He still eats a few times at night but thats totally fine with me. He wakes up about 8ish so thankfully not too early. So far so good!