Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:
Fail: Yelled at my baby yesterday :(

Babe got his lower teeth last month (he's now 5 months), and lately he's been chewing like there are more coming. Still, after a month with lowers he's never bit while nursing.

Yesterday I was nursing in our parked car while hubby ran into a store, and suddenly babe bit down. Hard. I screamed, pulled him off and immediately yelled at him, looking into his eyes, "Seamus! NO!" In that big, booming, mean voice usually reserved for when our dog chews a couch cushion. I immediately realized that I'd just yelled at my little baby... and he looked at me with fear. His little eyes looked absolutely terrified of his mama. Oh my gosh, I wanted to die. by the time hubby came back to the car babe was drenched in my tears. I've never felt so bad about anything in life. I'm still crying about it. I've spent 5 months admiring the fact that he's a baby and so doesn't know that people can be mean or hurtful, thinking only that people are nice and loving. Then his mama, of all people, yells at him.

We've started saying "ow" and making a sad face when he bites our fingers, trying to gently tell him we don't like that. But I still feel horrible about yelling at him. First major parenting fail.

Advertisement

Last edited by Palooka; 06-18-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I think we have all been there. The rational side of the brain stops working when little teeth are cutting through our nipples. I think it's a normal response, especially since it's the first time it's happened. The first time it happened to me, I did the same thing, but my first thought was that I should hit him so he'll let go. I just got lucky that I didn't go with that first reaction.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using DS Forum

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Fail: Yelled at my baby yesterday :(

You were caught off guard. He is over it already. Forgive yourself and move on. Have a plan for what you will do next time and remember this moment when he grins at you and chomps down in a few months AFTER you've told him "no."
Old 06-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Awww so sad but it was just a reaction it is not like u planned to be mean to him. My baby is due today so I have never nursed a LO yet but they all bite sometime. My MIL said at about 8 ish months with all 5 of her babies they bit her for the 1st time. She said just like when a mosquito bites u you smack it. She said just out of reaction to the pain she smacked her babies (not violently) and she cried each time but only one of her 5 babies bit a 2nd time and got smacked again but learned not to do that. She said they associated pain with biting mom so that is why they probably stopped.

Good luck with your bitty baby
Hugs
Sarah B
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:37 AM   #5
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-B
Awww so sad but it was just a reaction it is not like u planned to be mean to him. My baby is due today so I have never nursed a LO yet but they all bite sometime. My MIL said at about 8 ish months with all 5 of her babies they bit her for the 1st time. She said just like when a mosquito bites u you smack it. She said just out of reaction to the pain she smacked her babies (not violently) and she cried each time but only one of her 5 babies bit a 2nd time and got smacked again but learned not to do that. She said they associated pain with biting mom so that is why they probably stopped.

Good luck with your bitty baby
Hugs
Sarah B
Ps I read someone said to push him in to your boob so then he can't breathe and has to let go if he is holding down the bite.
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've done that before. The baby gets over it a lot more quickly than you will, but rest assured that he is not traumatized for life. You weren't screaming at him over something stupid - he was biting you, hard, and you had an instantaneous reaction that you could not think twice about. As the pp mentioned, the rational part of your brain just instantly shuts down when baby is biting your breast!
Old 06-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #8
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

((hugs)) dont worry mama, he still loves you just as much as always
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #9
BottomOfMyHearts
Registered Users
Formerly: NewFoundFaith
seller

My Mood:

*hugs*

He's already forgotten it. It's tough when they bite down with those little sharp teeth. In the future, a stern "NO" and taking him off the boob will help him learn that biting is not allowed. (But they will still relapse when they are teething more teeth and or distracted. lol)

New Contest coming Soon!Please visit my Facebook store! <--Click
BottomOfMyHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #10
hpfgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My lo is very sensitive too and I always feel like dirt when I catch myself being too "mean".

On a positive note, maybe he understood you and won't bite anymore? You can always hope.

3T/4T Trainers, and Toddler AIOs for sale.
hpfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote