Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #11
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:
Re: Fail: Yelled at my baby yesterday :(

Thanks for the support. I'm pretty sure he is over it and it's just me who's still upset. He really hasn't done it since that incident and since we've started reacting with "ows" and sad faces to finger bites. He'll probably bite again, but now I'm readier for it and know what to do (and not do).

Advertisement

Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:22 PM   #12
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Sorry mama. I've done that too.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #13
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-B View Post
Ps I read someone said to push him in to your boob so then he can't breathe and has to let go if he is holding down the bite.
Yes, I cannot recommend this enough! So so helpful, and it really works!

If it makes you feel better, we all have those moments. No one is perfect, especially when sharp little baby fangs are sunk into tender flesh. I accidentally swatted DS1 on the head when he bit down hard once and threatened to take my nipple completely off. I felt horrible, but he had completely forgotten in all of about 30 seconds.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #14
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Oh mama, no ones proud of it, but we've all been there. I still sometimes snap and say mean things or yell at my 3 year old and 17 month old. I'm usually in tears over it within 5 minutes. It happens. Try putting all that guilt energy into patience! One thing that has really worked for me is, unless it's an immediate safety issue, take 2 deep breaths before you respond.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #15
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Honestly, that's exactly what needed to happen. Hurts to do it but biting is best nipped in the butt fast. He will associate biting with you yelping. You yelping scares him. No biting. It works,
Old 06-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #16
keowilliams
Registered Users
seller

It was an innate reaction. Don't be too hard on yourself. I'm sure my oldest bit me a few times though I can't really remember the first time anymore or if I ever reacted. However the first time my younger boy bit me a month or two ago, I yelled same as you and startled him badly enough that he cried. I think its the first time I ever yelled at him about anything. I felt bad, but its an honest reaction.

I've found the best way to deal with nippers is to immediately pull them off the breast and scold them with a firm 'No'. They get the idea pretty quick that if they bite, they don't get to nurse.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #17
BabyCentric
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Don't beat yourself up, you're human I would probably react the same way, although, at almost 11 mos, ds still has no teeth.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #18
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyCentric
Don't beat yourself up, you're human I would probably react the same way, although, at almost 11 mos, ds still has no teeth.
Ha, what an interesting spectrum. My 11 monther had 8 teeth by 7 months. He teethed painfully forever but then he was done, like night and day.

OP, yelping the first time was my strategy. It's just as well he doesn't forget what happened the first time.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #19
emerino
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981
Honestly, that's exactly what needed to happen. Hurts to do it but biting is best nipped in the butt fast. He will associate biting with you yelping. You yelping scares him. No biting. It works,
I agree.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:46 PM   #20
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

don't beat yourself up. It was more of a reaction yell, you weren't really yelling at him on purpose.

Levi and jake both got the "Yell because you bit me" yell. IT HURTS!! and it's TOTALLY SHOCKING!!" I've gotten it in the middle of the night while I was sleeping! lol

I always felt bad, but it was one of those situations, just like yours that you do it and THEN you realise what you've done.

He still loves you. FYI: When they bite, you should say NO BITE and unlatch them instantly and put them down. They learn quick that if they bite, they don't eat... so they quit doing it. jake only bit a couple of times Levi has taken longer to get the message. lol
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote