Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

What happened to making kids earn stuff?

I was checking out the bulletin board at the local library. Posted was a sign on notebook paper by a girl asking for donations to be in a pageant. Not offering to do some kind of service for money, just asking for a hand out. Maybe I'm an old fashioned parent but if ds wants to do something and we don't have the money, he either earns it or he doesn't do it. I would never in a million years allow him to ask for something for nothing.

Advertisement

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.
Re: What happened to making kids earn stuff?

I see no issuee with fundrasing. Though I find it a bit odd to just ask for cash. I would be more inclined to help those who are collecting bottles, walking dogs ect.

But it is not always an option it would really depend. If this was a special needs child saving fro camp I would be much more open to helping then a pageant entry fee. But that is just me.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
isaacsmum
Registered Users

I don't get the asking for handouts for extra-curriculars either. Where I live I regularly see a church-related football league and some other groups gathering on busy street corners with holding out buckets and asking for cash. Besides the fact that I think they're crazy to put all those kids out near traffic, I just can't imagine just paying someone on the street for their sports league activity fee. Set up a car wash or something, people! How hard is that?
Old 06-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimb96 View Post
I was checking out the bulletin board at the local library. Posted was a sign on notebook paper by a girl asking for donations to be in a pageant. Not offering to do some kind of service for money, just asking for a hand out. Maybe I'm an old fashioned parent but if ds wants to do something and we don't have the money, he either earns it or he doesn't do it. I would never in a million years allow him to ask for something for nothing.
Well, I think it's actually pretty common for pageant contestants to ask for "sponsors." Sometimes the pageant offers ads that the "sponsors" buy in the programs, either for a business or to just say "Go Julie" or whatever.

And, I wouldn't assume the kid is not doing ANYTHING to earn money, sometimes pageants can cost lots of money, especially if there's travel involved, and it may be that this kid asking for sponsors might also be doing a garage sale or bake sale or walking dogs for neighbors or something ALSO. I wouldn't assume one flyer on the library bulletin board is the whole story.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
Well, I think it's actually pretty common for pageant contestants to ask for "sponsors." Sometimes the pageant offers ads that the "sponsors" buy in the programs, either for a business or to just say "Go Julie" or whatever.

And, I wouldn't assume the kid is not doing ANYTHING to earn money, sometimes pageants can cost lots of money, especially if there's travel involved, and it may be that this kid asking for sponsors might also be doing a garage sale or bake sale or walking dogs for neighbors or something ALSO. I wouldn't assume one flyer on the library bulletin board is the whole story.
The ad was asking for a sponser, it was asking for a donation. IMO tacky. The ad asked for $400 for a dress. At the bottom, there was even an update with a new date with a new plea for money stating they had so far gotten $0 in donations.

Mama to Ethan
Old 06-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
The ad was asking for a sponser, it was asking for a donation. IMO tacky. The ad asked for $400 for a dress. At the bottom, there was even an update with a new date with a new plea for money stating they had so far gotten $0 in donations.
That sounds pretty tacky to me.

I'm pretty sure if she and her parent(s) went door to door and asked businesses to sponsor her by buying an ad or something, she wouldn't have $0.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #7
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimb96
You mean he earns the money himself or doesn't do it? What if he were young, 3-5? Out of genuine curiosity what would you have him do?
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
You mean he earns the money himself or doesn't do it? What if he were young, 3-5? Out of genuine curiosity what would you have him do?
When he was younger, he just didn't do it. Now he's 8. He's old enough to earn money for extracurricular activities. He has done yard work and odd stuff for the neighbors and my mom will sometimes hire him to help her around the house. He can earn money from us by doing extra chores around here. He already has set chores that he doesn't get paid for. He gets birthday and christmas money from dh's side of the family and he has used that for things he wants.

Mama to Ethan
Old 06-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #9
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I agree.
abunchoflemons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:32 AM   #10
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My kids are 4, 2, and 1. They earn commission for doing chores, and if they want a new toys they have to earn enough to buy it. Or use xmas or bday money. We talk about spending wisely, shopping used, etc.. my 4 year old loves garage sales because she knows she can get more for her money there.

We pay for 1 activity per season for them and if they want to be in more than one at a time they earn it or use gift money.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote