Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-19-2012, 09:32 AM   #11
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: What happened to making kids earn stuff?

My kids are 4, 2, and 1. They earn commission for doing chores, and if they want a new toys they have to earn enough to buy it. Or use xmas or bday money. We talk about spending wisely, shopping used, etc.. my 4 year old loves garage sales because she knows she can get more for her money there.

We pay for 1 activity per season for them and if they want to be in more than one at a time they earn it or use gift money.

Advertisement

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:24 AM   #12
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would be mortified to let my kid post a flier asking strangers for money. That kind of thing won't fly with me, either.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #13
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would be too embarrassed to put an ad up begging for money. That's just insane. Especially for something as pricey as a pageant.

We only make the kids use their money for toys and special things. Sports and stuff we just pay for. Perhaps when they get older and things get more expensive they'll be responsible for it...and I'll let them know I'll buy the glove/bat/shin guards/shoes/etc that we (as a family) can afford, if they want something namebrand or more expensive they'll be responsible for coming up with the difference.

I saw parents at the sports store buying a $299 (Three hundred dollars!) baseball bat for their 9 year old. I about keeled over. Our $19.97 one from Target hits the ball just as well...
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #14
allinmyhead
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It always burns me up to see the little league groups at store entrances asking for donations. My mom used to coach the middle school cheer squad. She organized car washes, bake sales, did a fundraising contest with Leggs pantyhose (that was fun!) and otherwise busted her rump making sure we had uniforms, poms, megaphones, etc. In one year, the cheer squad earned enough money to buy new uniforms and track suits for us as well as new warm up suits for the entire basketball team. We (the girls) learned a sense of responsibility and pride knowing that we WORKED for what we had. And the car washes were fun!

I actually had a coach tell me off and call me a horrible person (in front of the kids!!!) because I refused to drop cash in a bucket. I told her that I work for my money and I expect no less from sports teams. Sell me a cookie, wash my car, sell me a raffle ticket, sure I'll support you! But don't expect something for nothing. Fortunately, most of the stores around here no longer allow the teams to "panhandle."
Old 06-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #15
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimb96 View Post
The ad was asking for a sponser, it was asking for a donation. IMO tacky. The ad asked for $400 for a dress. At the bottom, there was even an update with a new date with a new plea for money stating they had so far gotten $0 in donations.
My daughter does the Princess program for the Miss America circuit (non-competitive). Her dress cost $20 and looked great. So I'm confused why a child would need a $400 dress to begin with. Also, my daughter sold ad space to get sponsors, she didn't just go around asking for money. It's tacky.

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #16
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

We set a budget for our teens for extra curricular including equipment. If they want above and beyond that budget then they have to pay for it
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #17
tusheez
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I don't like asking people for money. I also don't like young kids or teens standing around on the side of the road or washing cars. I think fundraising is different than just asking people for money. All of my kids are involved in activities. Alot of times extra curricular activities can cost alot. There are usually funds left over for families that are unable to afford to be able to participate too. We have a group of business owners in the community that help out with stuff like this. No one knows who gets the help. Everyone gets to have fun. As for pageants I think they have sponsors that put up the money in exchange for advertisement maybe?? The whole sign thing is a bit tacky but maybe they don't know how it works???
Old 06-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #18
magoose
Registered Users

When I was young, we had no money for extra curricular activities, so we did nothing. I don't think I really missed out on anything. Sure, i would have liked to have been in dance classes or gymnastics, but me and my sisters knew my parents couldn't afford it. I don't understand nowadays that it's become a right for kids to be in any kind of activity.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #19
AfWife8405
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimb96 View Post
When he was younger, he just didn't do it. Now he's 8. He's old enough to earn money for extracurricular activities. He has done yard work and odd stuff for the neighbors and my mom will sometimes hire him to help her around the house. He can earn money from us by doing extra chores around here. He already has set chores that he doesn't get paid for. He gets birthday and christmas money from dh's side of the family and he has used that for things he wants.
My 6 yr old, Nick, has done fundraisers for school but we have only asked the grandparents if they would like to donate something and even then it was more of a sponsorship situation ($ per lap run for example.) He has also done chores around the house to earn money. We pay for their sports, soccer and baseball for Nick, soccer for Jack and Brooke will be starting soccer next year.

At some point, we may have to limit how many sports they can do because if all 3 are in simultaneous sports it could get expensive & hectic. Perhaps at that point we would make them responsible for additional sports than would fit into our budget. I would be mortified if they asked for handouts. Cutting lawns, washing cars, etc are all options if you want to do something bad enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaNae View Post
I would be too embarrassed to put an ad up begging for money. That's just insane. Especially for something as pricey as a pageant.

We only make the kids use their money for toys and special things. Sports and stuff we just pay for. Perhaps when they get older and things get more expensive they'll be responsible for it...and I'll let them know I'll buy the glove/bat/shin guards/shoes/etc that we (as a family) can afford, if they want something namebrand or more expensive they'll be responsible for coming up with the difference.

I saw parents at the sports store buying a $299 (Three hundred dollars!) baseball bat for their 9 year old. I about keeled over. Our $19.97 one from Target hits the ball just as well...
That is insane! When my 6 yr old started t-ball this year, he got the tee from his uncle for his birthday and we bought him a $20ish bat. Some people have more money than brains.

OP, I would be interested in knowing if there is any evidence that the parents are aware that this was posted in the library. Maybe the little girl just took it upon herself to ask for handouts?
Old 06-19-2012, 08:31 PM   #20
AfWife8405
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendaRN View Post
When I was young, we had no money for extra curricular activities, so we did nothing. I don't think I really missed out on anything. Sure, i would have liked to have been in dance classes or gymnastics, but me and my sisters knew my parents couldn't afford it. I don't understand nowadays that it's become a right for kids to be in any kind of activity.
ITA, it is a privilege NOT a right. Right now we can afford it and they "deserve" (doing their school work, reasonable behavior, etc.) it. But if our financial situation or their behavior changes they can just play outside with each other.