Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2012, 06:26 PM   #11
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Gardisil vaccine

I am not going to get it for DD when she is young. However, as she gets older, she can decide for herself if she wants it. I think it is a good learning experience for a teen to research it herself, talk to the parent about what she found, and why or why not she feels she needs it for her body.

For the record, we are a vaxing family.

Advertisement

My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #12
birds chart
Registered Users
seller

No I wouldn't do this one. I am a selective vax parent and this one isn't worth it to me.
birds chart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #13
MyLovely
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac & Cheeses mom View Post
My DD just finished her third shot on the series. I don't know why but it upsets me that the few bad would spoil the bunch talk.

She has had no reaction to the vaccine. I tend to vaccinate my DD, and I will not talk bad about those who do not because I understand the why.

You asked about people who have had here is my mine I say if their is a chance to help my DD in a fight that she would have no choice in I will do it. The risk in this case was to me one to take.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

If you go looking for bad stories, you will find them. The 99.9% of individuals who had the vaccine and suffered no side effects aren't going to post "hey, I completed the gardisil series and nothing happened!" If your DD hasn't had any reactions to other vaccines, I would consult with her doctor to quell any fears and then get it.

Here is the VAERS page from the CDC. FWIW, I had the HPV series, had a mild reaction (swelling and some minor discomfort) and am very, very glad I did.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #14
JuanitaPuanita
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I had the vaccine. I wasn't sexually active but still got it. No adverse reactions. I haven't read up on things that it could cause or not so great reactions but I'm due to have a baby any day now (so I assure you everythings ok with that lol). I'm glad I got it because ive only been with my dh sexually but he's been with a girl who's been with tons of people. I feel better knowing I prevented something
Old 06-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #15
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No freaking way. It hasn't been studied long enough to even know how long out is effective for and it's for an STD. If my daughter chooses to live in a way that puts her at risk for HPV transmission, cancer will be the least of my worries.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #16
blueswirl
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516
No freaking way. It hasn't been studied long enough to even know how long out is effective for and it's for an STD. If my daughter chooses to live in a way that puts her at risk for HPV transmission, cancer will be the least of my worries.
You're kidding me, right? You do realize that you don't have to be promiscuous to get hpv? And I would think that your daughter getting cancer would worry you much more than how much sex she is having. I know it would for me.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
blueswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:53 PM   #17
MyLovely
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueswirl View Post
You're kidding me, right? You do realize that you don't have to be promiscuous to get hpv? And I would think that your daughter getting cancer would worry you much more than how much sex she is having. I know it would for me.

HPV doesn't come from being promiscuous. It can take just one time. Condoms don't properly protect against it. Additionally, sex has nothing to do with morals, but that's an entirely different debate. Cervical cancer is a serious issue right now, and parents should not be making such big decisions from scare tactic websites.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #18
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
We didnt do it. My teens are 14 and 15. They are in now way, shape or form sexually active, and when they are 18 or start having sexual relations they can choose to have the vaccine. They know it exists, know what it is for and both have seen the GYN (they both have pcos). They talk to me about everything, so when the time comes they can choose it for themselves. Their body, their choice.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:02 PM   #19
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueswirl View Post

Nope. I value spiritual/ moral health over physical health, even though I go to a lot of trouble to keep us healthy. I don't expect a lot of people to agree with me.
But seriously thegardisil vaccine's effectiveness to prevent people from dying of cancer is mostly theoretical. There are much safer ways to prevent cancer.
And it's common knowledge that HPV is generally an STD. That's why it's given at such a young age, to boys and girls.

Last edited by songbird516; 06-18-2012 at 08:08 PM.
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:17 PM   #20
blueswirl
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516
Nope. I value spiritual/ moral health over physical health, even though I go to a lot of trouble to keep us healthy. I don't expect a lot of people to agree with me.
But seriously thegardisil vaccine's effectiveness to prevent people from dying of cancer is mostly theoretical. There are much safer ways to prevent cancer.
And it's common knowledge that HPV is generally an STD. That's why it's given at such a young age, to boys and girls.
So basically, if you have sex and contract something, you deserve to die. Yeah. That's freaking awesome.

blueswirl is offline   Reply With Quote