Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #21
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Gardisil vaccine

From what I understand it only preventsa couple of the many strains of hpv and those strains are in no way guaranteed give you cancer. As far as I'm concerned putting chemicals in your body to prevent cancer is an oxymoron.

Advertisement

And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #22
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLovely

HPV doesn't come from being promiscuous. It can take just one time. Condoms don't properly protect against it. Additionally, sex has nothing to do with morals, but that's an entirely different debate. Cervical cancer is a serious issue right now, and parents should not be making such big decisions from scare tactic websites.
Sex may have nothing to do with your morals but it does for a lot of people.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 06-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #23
MyLovely
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterisntsomething View Post
From what I understand it only preventsa couple of the many strains of hpv and those strains are in no way guaranteed give you cancer. As far as I'm concerned putting chemicals in your body to prevent cancer is an oxymoron.
"Both vaccines protect against the two HPV types (HPV-16 and HPV-18) that cause 70% of cervical cancers, 80% of anal cancers, 60% of vaginal cancers, and 40% of vulvar cancers.[5] These HPV types also cause most HPV induced oral cancers, and some other rare genital cancers. Gardasil also protects against the two HPV types (HPV-6 and HPV-11) that cause 90% of genital warts." (from the wikipedia page for easy access, but it cites the research)
Old 06-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #24
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLovely View Post
"Both vaccines protect against the two HPV types (HPV-16 and HPV-18) that cause 70% of cervical cancers, 80% of anal cancers, 60% of vaginal cancers, and 40% of vulvar cancers.[5] These HPV types also cause most HPV induced oral cancers, and some other rare genital cancers. Gardasil also protects against the two HPV types (HPV-6 and HPV-11) that cause 90% of genital warts." (from the wikipedia page for easy access, but it cites the research)
Thank you, I didn't know that.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:32 PM   #25
Mac & Cheeses mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Ok sooo what your all saying is..... There is no way my teen is going to have intercourse before they are 18, and there is no way it will be unprotected..... And there is no way they could get an STD!

I don't know about you but I was no angel, and I did get HPV! If I was able to not have gone through what I did because my mother turned the "there is no way" eye I would have done it.

And don't get me wrong but what if, heaven forbid, your teen is at a party, and get raped.... or random rape and gets it! Those are things you can't control.

I don't know about you but if I can prevent a worse outcome I will!

ETA: I do not mean any discontent in my statements this was the reasoning behind why I got the vaccine for my DD. I do not mean you all in the above statement as a bash or negative. It bothers me that as parents we (in general) tend to under play how we were as terms and children. We (again in general) tend to forget as humans we make mistakes and teen hormones tend to be part of that.

Last edited by Mac & Cheeses mom; 06-18-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Mac & Cheeses mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:35 PM   #26
MyLovely
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryisinked View Post
Sex may have nothing to do with your morals but it does for a lot of people.

Side stepping THAT debate, even the most "moral" of women marry non-virgins and have a 1 in 4 chance of getting raped. STDs do not exist in some sort of mystical land where only immoral, promiscuous people get them.

Last edited by MyLovely; 06-18-2012 at 08:39 PM.
MyLovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #27
jackkant
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't plan on giving my DD this vax; the factor that brought me to this decision is that the risk of contracting any of the cancers it would prevent is overall very low. Honestly, I am far more worried about my DD getting heart disease (#1 leading cause of death for women) than cervical (12k new cases this year), anal (6k new cases this year), vaginal (2.5k new cases this year) or vulvar (4.5k new cases this year) cancer. Yes, it is terrible if you do get any of those cancers, but the numbers just do not compel me to take on the risk factors of this vaccine.

(sources: cervical, anal, vaginal, vulvar)

My blog, The Weekly What-What?! updates on Sundays and Thursdays.

EZ Squeezees Reusable Baby Food Pouch Product Review and Recipe
-- Children's Farm Books -- Children's Steampunk Picture Books
jackkant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #28
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am pro vaccine, but chose against that one. My daughter's friends all got it, and two of the eleven or so got Guillain-Barré Syndrome.

My daughter is the side effect queen. If there's a possible side effect for anything, she gets it. So, we opted right out of that one.

I DO think it's a good thing, but the risk for my daughter was too high for now.

Last edited by escapethevillage; 06-18-2012 at 09:05 PM.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #29
Mac & Cheeses mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage
I am pro vaccine, but chose against that one. My daughter's friends all got it, and two of the eleven or so got Guillain-Barré Syndrome.

My daughter is the side effect queen. If there's a possible side effect for anything, she gets it. So, we opted right out of that one.

I DO think it's a good thing, but the risk for my daughter was too high for now.
I would have opted out too.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #30
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
I am not going to get it for DD when she is young. However, as she gets older, she can decide for herself if she wants it. I think it is a good learning experience for a teen to research it herself, talk to the parent about what she found, and why or why not she feels she needs it for her body.
This is exactly us right now. I have declined it for my oldest for a few years now. She will be 15 in a couple of months, and this year we sat down together and researched what the vaccine is, what it does/doesn't do, possible side effects, what HPV is, etc. It was a really great bonding time for us. She was pretty overwhelmed by all the info and wanted another year to think about it. So we'll revisit the issue later.