Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-19-2012, 08:05 AM   #41
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Re: Gardisil vaccine

My oldest son turned 11 this spring. Our doctor brought up the vaccination at his well visit in April and we declined for the time being. At this point my son doesn't even notice that girls are different than boys and I am confident that we have some time before we need to be concerned about this vaccination. So, we chose to wait, but did not take it entirely off of the table.

My biggest concern for him is that I really haven't looked at the data (and there doesn't appear to be very much as yet) about the vaccination and boys. So, DH and I will wait until there is more data.

If it had been a daughter turning 11, we likely still would have waited because I don't see HPV as an issue for an 11 year old. However, it is a vaccination that we will seriously consider. The reports that I have read show no causal relationship at this point between any of the serious side effects that have been reported. Fainting doesn't bother me - you make the kid sit down when you give the shot and watch them for a few minutes. My DH is terrified of needles and has had to sit down after a booster because he was afraid he was going to faint. I am always amazed at the prevalence of vaccination reactions personally known to people on DS. GBS for example is not something that is likely to be underreported. The data that exists shows no increase in incidence of GBS after vaccination than there is in the general teenage population. GBS occurs in 1-2 in 100,000 teens in general and according to one of the postlicensure surveys, GBS has been reported at a rate of 0.2 per 100,000 after vaccination. For there to be 2 cases known in this small sampling amazes me.

DH and I both hope our children wait until marriage to have sex or at least until they are well out of their teens. To be perfectly honest, I would prefer my kids have sex before marriage and wait to get married until they are at least in their mid-20s. I know what I hope for, but know that it is very unrealistic to believe that they will wait for sex and not get married young as well. Their chances of having a loving and lifelong marriage are much greater if they wait until at least their mid-20s to get married. They are also more likely to wind up well educated, financially secure, etc.

So ultimately, I won't be deciding on the vaccine on "moral" grounds. I will be revisiting the data, not other people's stories, annually to make the decision as we need to. As far as not vaccinating against poor choices - I don't parent that way. While we allow our children to make their own decisions within reason, we recognize that children and teens are just that - children and teens. They do not have the reasoning capacity of adults and I would never make a decision that would potentially cause lifelong punishment for a child because they made a poor decision.

Advertisement

Old 06-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #42
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am glad you decided against it. I am very much a vaxer. But there is no way I would allow my DD to get it ever! I have done research and it is just not worth it. I told my exSIL I would kick her you know what if she gave it to my niece. She knew I wasn't kidding either!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #43
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody

First of all teenagers need opportunities to have sex or be in a situation to be raped. I dont plan on my girls being in those situations until they are old enough to decide with my help if the gardisil vaccine could help them. My girls are never without an adult present. They dont attend school, have never been alone with boys, and dont go anywhere alone. I think their risk is very low. Now when and if they do venture out with boys and attend college we will discuss the pros and cons.

My girls have a much higher rate of dying in a car accident than contracting cancer from hpv. With regular paps and gynecological visits hpv can be caught early and treated. We have no family history of female cancers.

I think the vaccine can be a good thing for some families based on how they raise their kids, what their kids are exposed to etc. but since we are low risk we are skipping it for now. Of course there is always the small chance it could happen or my girls could be raped in their beds at night but for US the risk is so low that a reaction to the vaccine is much more likely at this point of their lives.
There is no "situation" to be raped or molested. It's actually quite offense and tbh ignorant that you believe that. Someone could break into your home and rape everyone. A family member (statistically close family and friends do it the most) could molest your child at a family gathering in the bathroom. I would hope you don't honestly believe that you have to be in a dangerous situation to have someone do these things to you or your children. If that were the case, rape and molestation wouldn't be as prominent because you could avoid it with good choices. That's all I'll say on the matter, because as a survivor this mentality makes me seethe.

I wouldn't get the shot. I can see how it could be beneficial, but completely ignoring the fact that newish medications worry me until they have a few decades of safety behind them, it just doesn't sit right with me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Last edited by Hillargh; 06-19-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #44
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh

There is no "situation" to be raped or molested. It's actually quite offense and tbh ignorant that you believe that. Someone could break into your home and rape everyone. A family member (statistically close family and friends do it the most) could molest your child at a family gathering in the bathroom. I would hope you don't honestly believe that you have to be in a dangerous situation to have someone do these things to you or your children. If that were the case, rape and molestation wouldn't be as prominent because you could avoid it with good choices. That's all I'll say on the matter, because as a survivor this mentality makes me seethe.

I wouldn't get the shot. I can see how it could be beneficial, but completely ignoring the fact that newish medications worry me until they have a few decades of safety behind them, it just doesn't sit right with me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Seethe all you want. I was raped by a boyfriend, and molested by a neighbor. In fact my oldest daughter is the product of date rape. But we were often left with no adults present, allowed to party all we wanted, were never home etc. No adults were ever around, no one ever told us what to watch out for, what to do if the situation arose etc. dont turn this into something it isnt. My situation with my neighbor could have been avoided completely and it wasnt.

I never said it couldnt happen. But We have weighed the risks and benefits and it clearly isnt worth it for us. Truthfully the last thing I am worried about if my girls are raped or molested is HPV.

Our risk is very low. We dont go to parties, my girls are always with me, the only family we are near is my parents, they hang out at ONE friends house, they dont attend school, dont go anywhere alone. I did say it could happen, but for us the risk of a vaccine injury is higher than being raped or molested.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #45
lilly12
Registered Users
seller

DON'T do it.

That is all.
lilly12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #46
TooBusyBearcubs
Registered Users
Formerly: K**ten
seller

My Mood:

Just an FYI - for those of you that feel you have a few years before you have to make this decision, you may not have as long as you think.
As one of the PPs posted, some peds will start asking you about it as early as 7 or 8 years old. If they wait to bring it up until 10 or 12, I would be very surprised.
I love our current pediatrician (she's awesome!), but I used to work in another peds office, and would hear stories about peds who, if they felt strongly enough about something (like Gardasil), would actually wait until the parent was out of the room when they brought it up with the kid. It is unethical, and technically illegal until the child is 18, but it does happen. I'm not assuming most, or many, peds do this, but it is something to keep in mind.

We are a selective, delayed vax family, but this is one that we will skip.
TooBusyBearcubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #47
EuphoricDysphoria
Registered Users
Formerly: laubear
seller
seller

My Mood:
Nevermind

Last edited by EuphoricDysphoria; 06-19-2012 at 02:51 PM.
EuphoricDysphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #48
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We won't do it.

My mom had cervical cancer, but she also didn't lead the best lifestyle so...who knows how she got it.

I plan to raise my kids to make better choices. They aren't allowed to go off with random neighbors/extended relatives. Only very close relatives who I know 110% would NEVER touch my kids. In our family sex is for sure tied to morality and I hope that my kids remain virgins until they're married. I have only slept with 1 man, my husband, my husband has only been with 2 virgins (an ex and me...and he only slept with his ex 1 time...she cheated on him so he never went there again LOL) I have a friend who remained a virgin until she was almost 30. It's completely possible.

I don't believe in vaccinating for STDs...I believe in educating kids to make better choices to avoid STDs...don't sleep around, don't sleep with a man who has slept around, don't sleep with a man who has slept with woma(e)n who sleeps around. I'll tell my kids that if you sleep with a non-virgin you're sleeping with their ex and all their exes and all their exes exes...and their exes exes exes...just wow...sleep with 1 person and you've maybe shared body fluids with 100+ people...yum. As it is I've shared body fluids with 2 people and that's 1 people too many...IMO
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #49
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaNae
We won't do it.

My mom had cervical cancer, but she also didn't lead the best lifestyle so...who knows how she got it.

I plan to raise my kids to make better choices. They aren't allowed to go off with random neighbors/extended relatives. Only very close relatives who I know 110% would NEVER touch my kids. In our family sex is for sure tied to morality and I hope that my kids remain virgins until they're married. I have only slept with 1 man, my husband, my husband has only been with 2 virgins (an ex and me...and he only slept with his ex 1 time...she cheated on him so he never went there again LOL) I have a friend who remained a virgin until she was almost 30. It's completely possible.

I don't believe in vaccinating for STDs...I believe in educating kids to make better choices to avoid STDs...don't sleep around, don't sleep with a man who has slept around, don't sleep with a man who has slept with woma(e)n who sleeps around. I'll tell my kids that if you sleep with a non-virgin you're sleeping with their ex and all their exes and all their exes exes...and their exes exes exes...just wow...sleep with 1 person and you've maybe shared body fluids with 100+ people...yum. As it is I've shared body fluids with 2 people and that's 1 people too many...IMO
My daughter will not be getting this vaccine.

And I will raise her in the manner quoted above.

BUT... You need to realize that God might send your daughter someone that used to be promiscuous as her husband. And he could be a carrier. This is absolutely not all about how you raise your child. There are other factors here.

My BIL is a preacher, but he lead a very different lifestyle as a teenager. He very well could have contracted it and given it to my virgin sister on their wedding night.

So, just need to take these things into account. It's nice that we want to instill these values into our children, but we are not in full control of anything.

My BIL is forgiven by the only One who matters. Its a good thing my mother didnt try to interfere with the will of God for his and my sister's marriage. Well, she sorta did, but God told her to back off.

Anyways... Thats my point. Do what you can, but don't feel like you've got it all covered
Old 06-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #50
TooBusyBearcubs
Registered Users
Formerly: K**ten
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
My daughter will not be getting this vaccine.

And I will raise her in the manner quoted above.

BUT... You need to realize that God might send your daughter someone that used to be promiscuous as her husband. And he could be a carrier. This is absolutely not all about how you raise your child. There are other factors here.

My BIL is a preacher, but he lead a very different lifestyle as a teenager. He very well could have contracted it and given it to my virgin sister on their wedding night.

So, just need to take these things into account. It's nice that we want to instill these values into our children, but we are not in full control of anything.

My BIL is forgiven by the only One who matters. Its a good thing my mother didnt try to interfere with the will of God for his and my sister's marriage. Well, she sorta did, but God told her to back off.

Anyways... Thats my point. Do what you can, but don't feel like you've got it all covered
Love this, Emily! I agree completely. Yes, I hope my children are wise enough to wait until they are married, but that is no reason to think that we can control them or their experiences. I personally am happy to hand some of that stuff over to God!
TooBusyBearcubs is offline   Reply With Quote