Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #51
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Gardisil vaccine

I'm just going to put it out there that abstinence is great and I truly hope that if you raise your child to wait till marriage they do but it's not the only way of doing things. I think even the most chaste and abstinant teens should be taught about condoms. It doesn't mean they are getting a license to be promiscuous but you cannot 100% guarantee that your child will wait till marriage to have sex. Theres can be a big gap between leaving home and getting married. There are a lot of people, especially in the younger generations skipping marriage altogether and as a previous poster said if you fall in love with someone who isnt a virgin I really don't think your parents warnings are going to hold much weight. I think condoms could prevent way more HPV than abstinence ever has.
ETA: I worded that last sentence wrong. True abstinence would of course be better than sex with condoms for preventing STDS, I meant condoms vs. abstinence only education.

Advertisement

And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused

Last edited by waterisntsomething; 06-19-2012 at 04:25 PM.
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #52
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Emily, you have an extremely important point. No matter how awesome my daughter is when it comes to waiting until marriage, God may use her virtue as an example to her husband who has not waited. Marriage, even Biblical marriage, is so much more than just sex.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:12 PM   #53
MellieEwing
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange

My daughter will not be getting this vaccine.

And I will raise her in the manner quoted above.

BUT... You need to realize that God might send your daughter someone that used to be promiscuous as her husband. And he could be a carrier. This is absolutely not all about how you raise your child. There are other factors here.

My BIL is a preacher, but he lead a very different lifestyle as a teenager. He very well could have contracted it and given it to my virgin sister on their wedding night.

So, just need to take these things into account. It's nice that we want to instill these values into our children, but we are not in full control of anything.

My BIL is forgiven by the only One who matters. Its a good thing my mother didnt try to interfere with the will of God for his and my sister's marriage. Well, she sorta did, but God told her to back off.

Anyways... Thats my point. Do what you can, but don't feel like you've got it all covered
I love what you said because it is so true! No one is perfect; I am not and my kids certainly won't be. I'll teach them what I want to teach them, but I can't make their choices for them. When this vaccine first came out and I heard the complaints from conservative, religious people (which is basically what I am), I was kinda appalled. I mean, God says sex outside of marriage is wrong. So, if my God is who He says He is, I'm pretty sure he can find a way around a human made vaccine if He really wants to punish someone! My goodness, when has a human invention ever stopped God? Presuming a vaccine will limit God just kinda shows where one's faith really is, imho.

On the other hand, I'm not a whole-hearted vax person. We gave our daughter most but not all vaccines. So, I probably wouldn't give her this one, but she is only one so I do have a little while to wait and see how this vaccine works and the side effects are, etc.
MellieEwing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:21 PM   #54
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellieEwing View Post
I love what you said because it is so true!
Me too! And...there is always the possibility that some guy will tell her he never did anything, and not be entirely truthful.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #55
tmwmommy
Registered Users
seller

Definitely not getting it. For what it's worth, I didn't find it necessary for myself because dh and I have never had any other partners - ever. If dd wants the vax when she's older that's not a problem. I prefer to selectively vax and am not totally on board with vaccines in general.
tmwmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #56
mamaerica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I asked my pro-vax pediatrician about this vaccine, and she said that she was not allowing her own daughter to have it. To me, that says an awful lot.

mamaerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #57
arihillfarm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLovely View Post
Side stepping THAT debate, even the most "moral" of women marry non-virgins and have a 1 in 4 chance of getting raped. STDs do not exist in some sort of mystical land where only immoral, promiscuous people get them.

-Astrid
WAHM to DD 13, DS 6 and DS 3 and I'm a Magic Maker with Off to Neverland Travel, specializing in Disney! Ask me about how to get the vacation of your dreams (Disney or elsewhere) for the best price and service possible at no extra cost to you. "Like" my agency page on Facebook for the latest travel specials!
arihillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #58
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimb96 View Post
My friend brittney's story

http://ecochildsplay.com/2009/09/15/...ittneys-story/

Stories of other girls devestated by gardisil

http://truthaboutgardasil.org/injuries/
So sad and unnessecary, I have two boys who are vaccine damaged, I wouldn't wish that on anyone. If only people would realize these things aren't even effective and they cause all kinds of harm. Such needless injury and death because of greedy pharmaceutical companies.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #59
elabela
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

"there are still som of us with morals"

yeah because your teens are going to do so well with shame, force and that attitude.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #60
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by elabela
"there are still som of us with morals"

yeah because your teens are going to do so well with shame, force and that attitude.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote