Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
magdalynaa
Registered Users
seller

Newborn - gassy and not napping!

FTM... my LO is one month old. She is BF'd, but she has been taking about 2 bottles at night from DH. We've got two problems...

In the last week, she has gotten insanely gassy. I can hear her pooting all the way across the house! Sometimes she just goes with it, but other times she absolutely screams, and I can hear her little tummy rumbling. We've tried changing positions during feedings, doing bicycles with her legs, massaging her, and occasionally giving her gripe water. We've also taken her to the chiro to be adjusted. None of those tricks seem to help for very long. What's causing this? I guess I was thinking that BF'd babies didn't have as many problems with gas, but that just doesn't seem to be the case for her. Is it something I'm eating?

She also has stopped sleeping during the day. I feel bad for complaining about that, lol. She sleeps for one 4-5 hour stretch at night, wakes up for about an hour, and goes back down for 2-3 more hours. She eats again and then takes another 2-3 hour nap, and then her naps are basically over for the day. She may sleep 15-20 mins at a time for the rest of the day, but not much more than that... and you definitely can't put her down in her crib or bassinette during the day. She was up from noon until 9 pm yesterday with only catnaps in between!

Like I said, I feel bad for complaining about a baby who sleeps well at night, but I do worry that she's getting overtired. I feel like we've tried everything to soothe her to sleep during the day -- walking through the house, rocking, singing, going for a walk in the wrap, sitting in the outside swing, taking a bath, etc. She doesn't seem very soothed by me at all. As soon as I pick her up, she starts hunger cues, and even if I try to nurse her, she unlatches and fusses. A couple of people suggested taking her diaper off and letting her "air out" in case it was irritating her, which she does seem to like... but it doesn't keep her asleep. She's not always fussy when she's awake, though. Most of the time she just wants to be held and entertained.

DH thinks she is "spoiled" because my mom (who has been keeping her a few hours a day) always holds her during her naps. It never fails that as soon as my mom leaves, she wakes up and can't be put down for the rest of the day. I'm not sure about his theory, though... I didn't think babies could be "spoiled" at 1 month, and even when I do hold her, she still doesn't seem to want to sleep during the day.

Any suggestions? Sorry if this is completely disjointed... it's my first day back at work, and she got up at 4 am.

Advertisement

magdalynaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
The gas could be normal. Mine has awful gas. We do gas drops. Could be something you are eating/drinking. Look up elimination diet.
I just wrote a thread about this last week. Levi has reflux. Were using Infamil AR and Dr Browns bottles. As soon as I switched and took him off BM, he naps like an angel and still sleeps well at night.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Definitely could be things you're eating. You can also try probiotics, but I e about come to the conclusion that babies go through this as their gut strengthens. I gave mine probiotics, but I am not sure they worked. I think she just grew out of it.

For the holding, I'm a firm believer in the 4th trimester. You held her constantly for 9months. Of course she still wants to be held. If you must put her down, try swaddling and see if that helps.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Newborn - gassy and not napping!

Does she nurse well, or does she always "unlatch" and fuss?
Is she getting bottles of formula at night, or breast milk?

Sometimes if baby is given bottles before 4-6 weeks, she'll get used to the faster flow of the bottle and get frustrated because milk from the breast doesn't flow as fast - may account for the fussiness if she's fussing every time she tries to nurse.

If she's getting formula bottles, you may need to try a different formula. If she's only getting breastmilk, consider what you're eating. When the gassy/fussiness is chronic, it's probably something you eat daily or nearly every day. The most common offenders are milk, peanuts, nuts, eggs, and soy. (With my oldest, it was dairy and peanuts. He was able to have milk by age 2, but is still deathly allergic to peanuts at 14). If you eat one or more of those a lot, try cutting them out for several days and see if her symptoms improve.

Check with your baby's doctor first, but Colic Calm worked miracles for our youngest. It's not cheap (about $20/bottle), but works miracles for gassy tummies.

As far as being happier being held, being curled up warm and close may help the tummy pain. Check to see what position your mom uses when she holds her - it may be that it's putting pressure on her tummy and relieving the discomfort.

And good luck, Mama - it's so hard when they're so little, unhappy, and you're sleep deprived.
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:00 AM   #5
magdalynaa
Registered Users
seller

She gets BM only. She started at about 2 weeks with bottles because we were afraid she wouldn't get used to them before I went back to work at 1 month. I eat several servings of dairy everyday, so if this keeps up, that would be the first thing I tried eliminating.

According to my mom (she's keeping her 9 hours a day while I work), she fussed for an hour or two yesterday but slept almost the entire day. I came home at 4:30, and she didn't fuss even once the rest of the evening. She was awake for maybe 30 mins at a time and then napped for an hour or longer. I can't believe it! It's like someone handed me a completely different baby!

She's a pretty good nurser, but I think I have a forceful letdown. I've noticed in the last week or so that she coughs and chokes a little when I first put her on. Could she be gulping down air then? Does air cause gas, or does it only cause her to need to be burped? Would it help if I expressed some milk before latching her?
She doesn't always fuss when nursing, but she does get very frustrated sometimes. It usually seems like she's already fussy, or she's been on that breast for awhile. I just don't really know when to switch her since breasts are never really "empty."

Is Colic Calm a type of gripe water?
Old 06-20-2012, 05:04 AM   #6
Belbaby3728
Banned

I have found my bubs was always fussier around me when younger and even now at times (6 months) because she wanted to nurse and could always smell me. But she'd go and be fine and sleep nearly all day when I work...she was a very gassy newborn too but no allergies or intolerances thus far.
Belbaby3728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:18 AM   #7
lecialefty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Colic calm is like gripe water. I think it might have more fennel in it though. You could also try drinking fennel tea yourself and see if that helps.

My dd2 did the same thing for a couple of weeks, I think it was from antibiotics though, should have given her some probiotics. So if you or her have had antibiotics I would try that before diet elimination.
lecialefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
magdalynaa
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbaby3728 View Post
I have found my bubs was always fussier around me when younger and even now at times (6 months) because she wanted to nurse and could always smell me. But she'd go and be fine and sleep nearly all day when I work...she was a very gassy newborn too but no allergies or intolerances thus far.
Yep, that's exactly what's happening. I feel pretty lousy about it sometimes. I mean, babies are supposed to be comforted by their moms, right? It seems like mine gets more upset when I'm around.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #9
Belbaby3728
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by magdalynaa

Yep, that's exactly what's happening. I feel pretty lousy about it sometimes. I mean, babies are supposed to be comforted by their moms, right? It seems like mine gets more upset when I'm around.
It gets better with time! For the first 3 months anytime she fussed, I gave her the boob! She was religiously pooping every 5 days up until this past month, so she would get even crankier the day before and day of until she pooped. Wasn't much we could do as far as her gas went- newborns are normally gassy and some even more so until their digestive systems mature I think. I think around 4 months and onward things started getting better for us. But even know when I pick my dd up after work on days I work she could have just had a bottle and gets fussy and mad at me for not giving her a boob right away!

Hang in there!
Belbaby3728 is offline   Reply With Quote