Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #11
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Think we're almost done :(

Are you using a slow-flow nipple on the bottles? It could be that she just doesn't want to work so hard to get the milk anymore. Either way, it's up to you if you want to try to continue. I would try to interest her in nursing again, but that's just my preference. My baby did the opposite- I kept the slow-flow nipples on the bottles so she stopped taking a bottle because she could get more nursing! I didn't realize until long afterwards that this was probably why she stopped wanting the bottles of breastmilk. So she just nursed a ton when we were together and didn't take a bottle at daycare, lol.

Advertisement

Old 06-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #12
juliabell
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hey mama - Just wanted to say that around that age DS went through the same thing. I had supply issues early on and he got super distractible and slowly my supply started going down. We were down to only a couple nursings a day. I managed to get them in right after he woke up in the morning and right after naps - catching him while he was sleepy was key. And if he woke in the middle of the night, I always nursed. It always (day and night) had to be in a dark room.

That being said, I kept up with it as much as I could and tried not to worry too much about supply - figured he'd make up the calories with his solids (we also always supplemented a little formula - since the beginning. At that age, we were giving it to him in a sippy.) NOW he's 13 months and he nurses A LOT. He loves it. My supply went back up and we nurse 4-5 times a day.

I wouldn't give up yet, just don't beat yourself up about it or mourn it yet. If you don't want to give it up you don't have to. BUT if you are ready to wean, it's a great time. I couldn't imagine trying to wean DS now that he's decided it's his favorite thing again.

Wife to B. Mama to M (May 2011.) Expecting #2 (July 2014!)
CD, BF, BW, Waldorf, minimalist.
juliabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #13
nicolejshannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
Are you using a slow-flow nipple on the bottles? It could be that she just doesn't want to work so hard to get the milk anymore. Either way, it's up to you if you want to try to continue. I would try to interest her in nursing again, but that's just my preference. My baby did the opposite- I kept the slow-flow nipples on the bottles so she stopped taking a bottle because she could get more nursing! I didn't realize until long afterwards that this was probably why she stopped wanting the bottles of breastmilk. So she just nursed a ton when we were together and didn't take a bottle at daycare, lol.
I am using slow flow nipples. I accidentally gave her a faster one for 6+ month ages and she did not like it at all! I think she just wants more milk then what I can provide. Combine that with the need to explore and she just doesn't want to nurse much
nicolejshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #14
nicolejshannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliabell View Post
Hey mama - Just wanted to say that around that age DS went through the same thing. I had supply issues early on and he got super distractible and slowly my supply started going down. We were down to only a couple nursings a day. I managed to get them in right after he woke up in the morning and right after naps - catching him while he was sleepy was key. And if he woke in the middle of the night, I always nursed. It always (day and night) had to be in a dark room.

That being said, I kept up with it as much as I could and tried not to worry too much about supply - figured he'd make up the calories with his solids (we also always supplemented a little formula - since the beginning. At that age, we were giving it to him in a sippy.) NOW he's 13 months and he nurses A LOT. He loves it. My supply went back up and we nurse 4-5 times a day.

I wouldn't give up yet, just don't beat yourself up about it or mourn it yet. If you don't want to give it up you don't have to. BUT if you are ready to wean, it's a great time. I couldn't imagine trying to wean DS now that he's decided it's his favorite thing again.

Thanks! We are still nursing a little bit, but not much. Few minutes in the am, few minutes in the PM and if she wakes in the middle of the night. ( I pump during the day). Part of me isn't ready to give it up and part of me is ready to have my body back. I'm carrying a few extra pounds, am breaking out, and have sore boobs all in the name of trying to make it a year. Not to mention all the dom and supplements I'm taking. It may just be time to let it go...I'll miss it, but I need to do what's best for us both. If she's unhappy trying to latch when milk is barely coming out and I'm stressed about it all the time, It may be best to wean. I go back and forth...
nicolejshannon is offline   Reply With Quote