Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #21
mommy24babes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids

Not sure I understand the bolded. I would anticipate that OP's child's doctor is concerned about unvaxed individuals potentially bringing a VPD in to the office full of individuals with lung problems. Children who are immune from those diseases as a result of their vaccinations will not be bringing them into the doctor's office to infect those around them.
My brother and I were fully vaxed and both of us ended up with pertusis for 6 mos
It is also my understanding that the pertusis vaccine only minimizes symptoms but does not stop transmission. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Advertisement

mommy24babes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #22
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Grrrrr DD was "fired" from her dr office!!

The other issue, with a doctor who is doing specialized care, is that he probably would like to have the same philosophy as you do in regards to preventative lung care. It may be that he considers some vaccinations to be especially important to prevent an illness that a child with severe breathing issues, like asthma, could have more difficulty fighting off than a "normal" child. In this case especially, you are better off finding a person who is totally in line with your thinking and has no issue with non-vaxing, and you would then not be dealing with a fundamental difference of opinion in what you consider to be "lung health"
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #23
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar
The other issue, with a doctor who is doing specialized care, is that he probably would like to have the same philosophy as you do in regards to preventative lung care. It may be that he considers some vaccinations to be especially important to prevent an illness that a child with severe breathing issues, like asthma, could have more difficulty fighting off than a "normal" child. In this case especially, you are better off finding a person who is totally in line with your thinking and has no issue with non-vaxing, and you would then not be dealing with a fundamental difference of opinion in what you consider to be "lung health"
He never once mentioned that he would like to see DD vaccinated because of her compromised lungs. I get that argument...I really do. It's one that I had with myself. I'm not even saying his decision to kick DD out was wrong. I don't understand why he didn't say something 6 months ago. I'll have to talk to her ped and see of he will refer us to someone else and pray that they aren't too far away. It's mainly just really frustrating. I don't understand the logic behind refusing to keep treating a sick child whose symptoms are life-threatening, at least until we can find someone else. I'm scared she will run out of meds before we find a new dr. She is 100% better now on this med so it just scares the bajesus out of me!
Old 06-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #24
bama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkinBoutMyGirl View Post
He never once mentioned that he would like to see DD vaccinated because of her compromised lungs. I get that argument...I really do. It's one that I had with myself. I'm not even saying his decision to kick DD out was wrong. I don't understand why he didn't say something 6 months ago. I'll have to talk to her ped and see of he will refer us to someone else and pray that they aren't too far away. It's mainly just really frustrating. I don't understand the logic behind refusing to keep treating a sick child whose symptoms are life-threatening, at least until we can find someone else. I'm scared she will run out of meds before we find a new dr. She is 100% better now on this med so it just scares the bajesus out of me!
Her pediatrician can fill it if it comes to that. I would call the Peds office and explain what happened and ask them if they can fill it until you find a replacement Pulm. Or just tell them that one suddenly let you go, if you don't want to get into the whole "because I don't vax" thing with the pediatrician.
bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #25
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Makes me feel very thankful for my Ped. He's always been very understanding and would rather work with parents on an alternate schedule than us leave unhappy and not vax at all. We selectively vax and only one or two at a time. He's fine with us skipping ones we feel are pointless, and encourages and educates us on ones he feels are more helpful than others at this age.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:30 PM   #26
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd keep looking. Obviously his beliefs and yours don't mesh.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:56 PM   #27
NiNi
Registered Users

I'd be seriously ticked if we got fired from a drs office for not vaxing. But I'd say see ya for the simple fact that why do I want a dr who doesn't agree with my values caring for my child? Nope. I'll pass.

sent from my iPhone. excuse all typos
NiNi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:56 AM   #28
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I do believe that like we have the right to pick our docs, docs have a right to pick their patients. It is a business for them, and IMO they have the right to refuse anyone just like we do.

I would call your ped (who obviously is ok with not vaxing) and ask for another referral. If you need a med refill, usually the ped will do it. DS's ped has written for his pulmicort before when we couldn't get in with the pulminologist.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 06-20-2012 at 05:58 AM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #29
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
If you choose not to have your dd vaxed then they don't have to accept her as a patient. You need to find a dr who will accept unvax'ed patients. It isn't someone you can get upset about since it was your decision not to have her vax'ed. You have to understand that some dr's don't want to have unvax'ed kids in their practice and that is their decision. If he is a specialty dr then he would be putting the health of children who can not get vaxed at risk with kids who can get vaxed and aren't.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #30
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajane
If you choose not to have your dd vaxed then they don't have to accept her as a patient. You need to find a dr who will accept unvax'ed patients. It isn't someone you can get upset about since it was your decision not to have her vax'ed. You have to understand that some dr's don't want to have unvax'ed kids in their practice and that is their decision. If he is a specialty dr then he would be putting the health of children who can not get vaxed at risk with kids who can get vaxed and aren't.
Ive already said I understand this and I'm not even disagreeing.