Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
viettasgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Tiny 6 month old- should I start her?

This is my 4th child, and by far the tiniest. She's been dropping percentiles since she was born- started out 56% and as of today she's 18%. She is proportional but tiny, with a big head. She is small but strong, healthy, and seems to be developing well.

The peds are recommending formula, starting solids (they said this at 4 months and there was no way I was starting then). I feel breastmilk is enough for that whole first year but I worry because of her size.

She has no teeth and cannot sit up reliably on her own. She is completely uninterested in food, and spits out most of whatever I have tried to give her. I have assumed she's not ready and have been fine with that, but today I'm doubting my instincts. What would you do, mamas?

Advertisement

Old 09-21-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tiny 6 month old- should I start her?

I would not give formula or start solids. IMO babies need to be sitting well unassisted and be interested in "food". I would exhaust all other options before then. My first thought would be that she either has reflux(one of our LO had severe reflux and never cried just didn't eat) or that she has a food intolerence. Have you tried eliminating things from your diet? If you do remove things I would keep a food diary and be patient because it can take many days for a food item to be gone from the body. Don't rush in to doing something that you are not comfortable with. If the doctor was that concerned they would have insisted on admitting your LO to hospital. So although it is important to figure out what is happening and get things turned around it is not yet a crucial issue. If she appears healthy otherwise and is meeting her milestones I say follow your mama heart.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Work with her on sitting. And once that is mastered consider high healthy fat solids and skip the fillers.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
TaraB
Registered Users
seller
seller

is she gaining weight but dropping %lles? Or are you loosing weight or not adding weight too. I am mot nearly as worried about %lles as I am about seeing gain in weight or length. What does she act like? Does she act hungry?

As a momma that has supplemented because of no weight gain...I would make sure nutritional needs are met. Is there any way you can do pre and post nursing weights to figure out how much she is transferring. Can you add nursing sessions in? Do you think it is a supply issue? If so maybe try natural supplements like goats rue and fenugreek.
Tara~Married to my wonderful DH and mama to my DS#1 4 years old and DS#2 2 years old
TaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #5
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

I definitely wouldn't supplement formula or try to feed her solids at this point... Way too early IMO. When my son was born, he was 80-90%ile across the board, exclusively breastfeed, no baby food or formula (straight to whole foods), and he has steadily dropped percentiles (he is now around 20th). But he is like your DD - proportionate and with a big head.

Are they comparing her to the WHO breastfed chart? That might be skewing her percentiles.

If my pediatrician was pushing me to start formula/processed baby foods - barring a serious health issue, of course - I would personally be in the market for a new pediatrician.

If your baby isn't sitting up and isn't interested in baby food at all, DON'T second guess yourself, mama. She's just petite. She may be coming up on a growth spurt, who knows! I wouldn't worry.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #6
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

My baby is not even on the growth charts, thankfully our pediatrician doesn't care about the charts, she cares about our baby. When she takes his weight and height she compares it to what he's gained in the past, and as long as he's keeping up with his previous gains and meeting his milestones she is happy.

I also doubted myself a lot (I pump full-time at work, so babe has never had formula) and people constantly told me I should supplement, that it would be better for my baby and easier for me. But when I asked my pediatrician, this is what she said:

"What is better for your baby, formula or breastmilk? Breastmilk, right? So why would you want to give him something LESS nutritious if you're worried about his nutrition?"

Her criteria for staying EBF were:
1) Is the baby eating frequently and acting full/satisfied?
2) Is mom producing enough milk to feed regularly and until baby is full?
3) Is the baby meeting milestones?
4) Is the baby gaining at about the same rate as before?

If all of those are answered yes, she said there was no reason to supplement.

(P.S. my "tiny," "skinny," "malnourished" baby started walking independently the day after he turned 8 months. So Pffftttthhhh!)

Last edited by Palooka; 09-21-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #7
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraB
is she gaining weight but dropping %lles? Or are you loosing weight or not adding weight too. I am mot nearly as worried about %lles as I am about seeing gain in weight or length. What does she act like? Does she act hungry?

As a momma that has supplemented because of no weight gain...I would make sure nutritional needs are met. Is there any way you can do pre and post nursing weights to figure out how much she is transferring. Can you add nursing sessions in? Do you think it is a supply issue? If so maybe try natural supplements like goats rue and fenugreek.
Pre and post nursing weights is definitely one thing I would do.

You can also eat high fat foods for her, can't you? Avocado, etc. a friend of mine had to do that. She got to eat cheesecake for her baby
Old 09-22-2012, 04:53 AM   #8
viettasgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow thanks so much mamas- gosh I feel like I should know more by baby #4 but this one is totally different from my others, so sweet and young still.
1. Yes, she has mild reflux since she was about 3 weeks old. It is better but still spitting up after most nursings.
2. I truly suspect she has food intolerances- she projectile vomits if I have any dairy and for a little while she had this rash around her mouth that looked suspicious to me. I wonder about other substances so I will try eliminating, as hard as that is. Could that be stunting her growth?
3. She eats well, seems satisfied, sleeps well at night and at naps. When she sleeps longer I get very full, so we nurse a little more that next day, if she wants, and usually she does. I don't think it is a supply issue but I am not sure.
4. I wear her so she can nurse whenever she wants, but she does get interrupted eating because of being on the go with the other kids.
5. She is dropping percentiles, but still gaining weight and height. As of today she has doubled her birth weight at last.
6. I have never had a fat baby. All but one were at one point around the 18-20% as babies. My husband is tall and very thin and their bodies look like his. A ped recommended formula for my son at 11 months one time because he was so lean and I just laughed. He eats like a horse! Why would he need supplements? He is now super tall and heavy.

Thank you so much for your input! I need to look into excluding some foods from my diet, weighing her pre- and post-nursing, nurse her a little more frequently, and checking my supply. I am going to follow my heart on this one, and keep nursing but keep an eye on her growth.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:30 AM   #9
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Good for you, mama!
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood: