Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

Baby cries every time we potty

I just started ECing my 6-week old a few days ago. I really like it, and the catches are really rewarding. I am planning to keep going with it, but just about every time I hold LO in the potty position she gets really upset. If I wait long enough she usually goes but I don't know if she "had" to go or if screaming just pushed it out. And she is really worked up when we are finished so most of the time she keeps squirting poop when I set her on the table. It just makes me feel bad for "making" her try to potty. Is there a calmer way to do this?

Advertisement

Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
shen7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
That doesn't seem right. The baby should be calm and secure feeling for pottying. Can you try pottying in a bowl while holding her in a cradle position or while nursing? What "potty position" are you using?
Old 06-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Baby cries every time we potty

I cradle her in one arm up against my body. Each hand has one of her legs, and I hold her over a bowl. BTW, our potty bowl came in the mail today! Is that considered fluff mail?

We've been battling rash since she was a week old. I am sure it hurts to go sometimes. Maybe she is afraid of going? The rash has improved greatly in the last few days... Fingers crossed we can beat it this time.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

Okay, we've had a few calmer sessions in the last day. Not sure if it is the healing rash or new potty or what, but yay
Old 06-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
2DaneMama
Registered Users
seller

Yay!!! Glad to hear you've had some better pottying experiences lately! The rash could definitely contribute to her not wanting to go...I'd think pee on raw skin would hurt. Hopefully she'll realize that going on the potty hurts less than going in a diaper.

My 7 month old has recently started screaming when we potty her--she's been EC'd from birth (but we kinda do part time). I think she's just to busy to be bothered with it...she wants to be on the go and investigating new things.
Mama to one sweet girl, 2 ginormous pups, and due 5/2015 w/#2

I need some NB BG AIOs. Love trades, or will buy.
2DaneMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:28 AM   #6
waitingforbaby
Registered Users

My baby did that for a short time (she's 8.5 weeks now). Now she even smiles back when I smile and talk to her when going. One of the growth spurts or fussy periods mentioned online is at 6 weeks... maybe that could have been it.

I also thought about stopping ECing temporarily because, yeah, I didn't want to force her... and I read something on this forum that if the baby resists, don't make her. So when she cried I'd immediately take her out of the "pee position." We had a few days with only a few catches... a semi-break from ECing. But now she seems to like it. Hopefully your baby is the same way!
waitingforbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #7
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for sharing your experience . We have some good times. Sometimes if I forget to potty her and start putting on a diaper she will fuss to remind me. Cute! But other times it is awful. I don't think it is unique to the potty, I think that elimination is painful for her in general. She almost constantly has poo coming out, and I just can't keep her rash away despite my very best efforts . I really hope she gets on a more normal pooing schedule soon because I think it is really messing us up and her rash will never get better while it is constantly getting into contact with poo. I was hoping that the potty position would help get her poos out, but it really doesn't. I'm just going on and on because today was bad
Old 07-12-2012, 01:33 AM   #8
Kcm1535
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I guess your LO probably isn't old enough for this yet, but my 4.5mo old will fuss a bit on the toilet if/when he gets bored .. even if he needs to go. He really needs to be entertained (e.g. with singing, funny faces, etc) to stick it out until it's time to deliver the goods! Anyway, maybe something to keep in mind down the road if your LO is at all the same
Kcm1535 is offline   Reply With Quote