Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
is this bad?

My 17 month old is driving me nuts today. SEE: For Sale: Boy in OT thread.
He usually naps twice a day. An hour or so morning/afternoon.
Now today and yesterday he faught them. He'll lay in his crib and talk, hit the wall, the crib, but he doesn't ever cry. I normally give him 15 minutes, then go back in his room, turn on his music again, lay him back down and put his covers on him.. then keep doing that till he goes to sleep.
Is this wrong? Should I just let him get up after a period of time? He needs a nap. Today we've been doing this for an hour. I went in his room, did my normal routine, changed his diaper and gave him a drink and he is still playing in his crib. He'll whine for a second then stop and be quiet then I can hear him jabbering again. Ugh!

Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
Mac & Cheeses mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
DD does this. I have adopted for the if she's not crying route. For her afternoon nap, I let her play for about an hour if she is fine.

She doesn't fight her morning nap because she gets up so early and this is her normal nap now. The afternoon one is a quiet time.

ETA: she normally falls asleep after about 30min.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 06-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Maybe he's ready to go down to 1 nap a day around lunchtime. My 17 month old has only been taking 1 nap since about 12 months.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
Mac & Cheeses mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra
Maybe he's ready to go down to 1 nap a day around lunchtime. My 17 month old has only been taking 1 nap since about 12 months.
This could be too. Especially if he is fighting both naps.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 06-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #5
babylove921
Registered Users

My Mood:
Well somedays he takes one nap, somedays he takes 2, somedays none..I have no idea what to do with him.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
babylove921
Registered Users

My Mood:
He normally doesn't fight both naps, just the later one. Yesterday he didn't wanna nap at all. Sundays he takes 1 nap. Maybe we'll try it.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
babylove921
Registered Users

My Mood:
He normally doesn't fight both naps, just the later one. Yesterday he didn't wanna nap at all. Sundays he takes 1 nap. Maybe we'll try it.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #8
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: is this bad?

First, there's the common '18month sleep regression', which can start around 17 months. It's when they discover that things happen while they're asleep and so they don't want to go to sleep. Can be bedtime or naptime.

Second, this is a very common age to go to 1 nap (if they haven't already).

So, I'd assume he needs 1 nap or 1 quiettime and build your routine around that. If he's sometimes doing none, one or two, well, that's sorta confusing to him and he might want to know what to expect in a day. So, just decide on when the 1 nap will be - I would probably just drop the morning nap and maintain the afternoon one, move it up if need be.

Then, if you put him in for the 1 nap and he's just playing, then let him play. Don't continue to go in and engage him. This is his quiet time. Decide on a length of time - 45minutes, an hour, whatever. And then go get him out and go on with your day. On days when he doesn't nap, you may want to move bedtime up a bit.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
I agree, maybe he is ready to go to 1 nap. Dd1 started fighting her naps at 12mos. It took a month for her to completely adjust to one nap. Dd2-with a lil nudging from me -went to one nap at 11mos. She transitioned very easily and all I really had to do was put her down at night about 30mins sooner. As dd1 got older(18 or 20 mos) she stopped napping altogether. We tried no resting for a month but that was torture so I started quiet time. She didnt need to sleep but she needed to just let her body/mind rest. I say try a nap(or just an hr of quiet) about 5hrs after waking.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote