Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #1
rkw
Registered Users

My Mood:
Suggestions growing spinich in containers?

We have a very small garden. We have some green beans and spininch in a container. The spinich has developed flowers on the top, and almost resemble a weed. It also seems to be wilting. Does spinich grow better in shade? Do I need to have something for the spinich to climb like peas? Last year we planted spinich in the garden and did not recognize it so we pulled it thinking it was a weed. Thanks.

Advertisement

rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
drabekgirl
Registered Users

Re: Suggestions growing spinich in containers?

It went right to seed b/c either it wasn't picked fast enough or its too hot. Its a "cold" crop so it should be planted later in the growing season or really early. It doesn't climb and it doesn't mind full sun as that's what I have in my garden for it.
I've successfully grown it indoors in the winter in my not so well heated basement. What I haven't mastered indoors is lettuce.
drabekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
rkw
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Suggestions growing spinich in containers?

Thanks. I was not sure what happened. This is only our second year for a garden so we are still learning. I guess I have herbs that did that as well because the parsley has flowers that look like queen annes lace. Can you just pick the flowers off once they have grown to get it to go back so you can harvest? It has been very hot here in Ohio.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote