Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #11
Kelbel81906
Registered Users
seller

Re: Hand, Foot and Mouth?

2 of my 3 kids actually have/had it in the last week. From what my pedi said, it's spread like any other virus would be (coughing, sneezing, saliva) and you can only catch it once. That being said, your children were actually probably already exposed, but if you know that the child will be there again, I wouldn't take them just as a precaution.

Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #12
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelbel81906
2 of my 3 kids actually have/had it in the last week. From what my pedi said, it's spread like any other virus would be (coughing, sneezing, saliva) and you can only catch it once. That being said, your children were actually probably already exposed, but if you know that the child will be there again, I wouldn't take them just as a precaution.
Hope your kids are feeling better! Yeah, I'm sure they were exposed at church and vbs last week. But as the old saying goes 'when you know better you do better'. We kept them home.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #13
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai_e

This line of thinking tends to get me a little riled. If there was a way I could have saved MY son what amounted to 7 days of pure torment - fever, mouth and throat in agony so that he didn't even want ice cream or popsicles, then his hands and feet peeling so that he looked like a snake, I would WANT to.

And just because it may not be a "big deal" for most kids, what about those that are immuno-suppressed or deficient? They should deal with a hospital trip and even worse because you are of the opinion it isn't "that bad".

I'm sorry, but I don't have two weeks of vacation to take off because things like this "should be gotten as a child". And if I did have the time, I certainly wouldn't want to spend it watching my babies be totally miserable and basically spoon feeding them to avoid dehydration.
My kids had it, it wasnt a big deal for them. But I absolutely kept them home the while time they had it. I thought op was asking if she should risk her kids getting exposed. I dont think getting exposed as a kid it's a big deal. But thats not my decision to make for other parents. Im always very careful to keep my kids home when sick. And just throwing this out there, but if it was so bad for thor son, what if it would have been even worse as an adult? It usually is alot harder on adults. Just saying

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DS Forum
Old 06-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #14
mommyfrog
Registered Users

My kids have it right now, so I've been researching it a bit. From what I understand you can only get each strain of virus once each. Unfortunately there is more than one virus that can cause hand, foot, and mouth. That's why you can get it more than once.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #15
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

it seems to be going around ALL over the country (based on my FB newsfeed ). My kids have never had it and 4 of them are older teen/adult. I would keep my kids home, personally, (the little 2) bc I have a 2 yr old and newborn and don't want to deal with that right now. If you take your kids and don't think it's a big deal (I usually don't fret about stuff like that), I think that's fine. For me, though, with the newborn, he and the 2 yr old have colds and are miserable enough right now, lol.

ETA, I also the poster who said it wasn't a big deal meant she would still take her kids, not that if her kids were sick, she would knowingly expose them to other children.

Last edited by bluedaisyma; 06-21-2012 at 09:49 AM.
bluedaisyma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #16
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyfrog
My kids have it right now, so I've been researching it a bit. From what I understand you can only get each strain of virus once each. Unfortunately there is more than one virus that can cause hand, foot, and mouth. That's why you can get it more than once.
I hope they get some relief soon!!

Old 06-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #17
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisyma
it seems to be going around ALL over the country (based on my FB newsfeed ). My kids have never had it and 4 of them are older teen/adult. I would keep my kids home, personally, (the little 2) bc I have a 2 yr old and newborn and don't want to deal with that right now. If you take your kids and don't think it's a big deal (I usually don't fret about stuff like that), I think that's fine. For me, though, with the newborn, he and the 2 yr old have colds and are miserable enough right now, lol.

ETA, I also the poster who said it wasn't a big deal meant she would still take her kids, not that if her kids were sick, she would knowingly expose them to other children.
I also don't really make a stink about mild colds and things like that. Heck, with four kids someone's always exposed to something! But, if it's something that is going to keep us cooped up and down for what could be weeks, I'd rather not risk it.

Last edited by mommabritt; 06-30-2012 at 06:37 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #18
jenbengtson
Registered Users

My Mood:

I work at a daycare and we have about 12 kids that have it right now. It spreads fast. and the strain that is going around out center is not good. they not only get the blisters on the hands feet and in the mouth but all over the body. and it seems to be lasting a long time. My YDD has it right now, and I am not at all thrilled about her getting it.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:08 AM   #19
gabmaxi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doulamomma
imo, it's not that big of a deal and one of those things that almost all kids get at some point and that you are better off getting it young than as an adult

Sent from my droid using DS Forum
Yes! I got it just this year and it SUUUUCKED. My boys gave it to me. DS1, sore throat, low fever 2days. DS2, no fever, a few spots on feet and groin (less than 5). Me? Shaking, shivering fever for two days, super sore mouth and throat, blisters all over my palms and feet (top and bottom!). Could barely walk, hands stung like crazy. And then after it stopped hurting I looked like a mutant with my peeling hands and feet. To be fair, though, it lasted less than a week.

Edited to add:
Blisters all over the body? Yikes! Also, I highly recommend numbing throat sprays and lozenges.

Last edited by gabmaxi; 06-22-2012 at 12:12 AM.
gabmaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #20
TinyHineyDiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We're just hitting day 7 of it in our house. All 6 kids in our daycare had it, thankfully it wasn't a very bad strain of it. It spreads so easily and you can be contagious before you even know you have it! That's how they all caught it