Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #31
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Re: Hand, Foot and Mouth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabritt View Post
Thank you for replying. One of the moms brought her son to sunday school this weekend and said 'well the pediatrician said it spread by feces so unless he's a monkey I think we're good'. DS was in his class that day
I think people misunderstand this and think that illnesses spread by the fecal/oral route are difficult to contract. That isn't the case, especially when little kids are concerned. Diapers, newly potty trained kids, etc. Kids don't wash their hands as often and they should and they touch toys after going to the bathroom which another child then touches and puts his fingers in his mouth and now they have completed that fecal/oral route.

Advertisement

Old 07-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #32
Nagshead
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ughh our 4.5 year old just got this 104 temp then a day if feeling better then blisters all over hands and feet and she said it hurts so badshe has slept about three hours in the last 48 sucks
Old 07-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #33
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by savingmomof2boys
We are currently battling this also. My almost 4 year old had it last week. He had a fever for 24 hours and would only eat yogurt and ice cream for about 2 days because of the mouth sores. Luckily he didn't get any sores on his hands or feet.

My 10 month old started with the fever last night and still has the fever. I can see a few sores in his mouth and he is starting to get them on his feet. He is absolutely miserable. He has had 3 bottles today but I am starting to get worried about dehydration because it has been a few hours since he has had a wet diaper. I have a feeling we will be making a trip to the er tonight if he doesn't get some fluids in him soon.
Good luck tonight. I hope you don't have to go to the ER

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #34
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids

I think people misunderstand this and think that illnesses spread by the fecal/oral route are difficult to contract. That isn't the case, especially when little kids are concerned. Diapers, newly potty trained kids, etc. Kids don't wash their hands as often and they should and they touch toys after going to the bathroom which another child then touches and puts his fingers in his mouth and now they have completed that fecal/oral route.
Exactly. It doesn't have to be as cut and dry as some think. Hand washing is so important and many kids aren't taught that.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #35
Sarahknavy
Registered Users
seller

My son had this a few months ago... It sucks. He was still getting most of his nutrition from nursing. I could give him a 1.1 ratio mix of Benadryl and malox every 4 hours... So that was how often he ate. About 20 min after his dose he would feel ok enough to nurse. So much biting went on during that week.... Oh it sucks...
Old 07-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #36
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagshead
Ughh our 4.5 year old just got this 104 temp then a day if feeling better then blisters all over hands and feet and she said it hurts so badshe has slept about three hours in the last 48 sucks
I hope your little one feels better soon. That's so rough!!

Old 07-01-2012, 07:43 PM   #37
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm sad to see so many new posts after I posted yesterday

My kids seem to be better... fever free for ~30 hours now. I hope this isn't the calm before the blister storm. DS had just a light pink spotty rash all over him today... yesterday it was more red. If it's red tomorrow, I'll take some pics. DD's throat was a bunch of pinpoint red spots yesterday and today I could see those same spots plus some bigger white ones. She said she felt much better today though. Both kids ate better today than they did yesterday. I've been letting them eat just whatever feels good... so it's been lots of (daddy's) powerade and popsicles.

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #38
MrsStripe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a feeling the 4 year old will be getting it soon. He took a whistle straight out of his brother's mouth (after being told repeatedly not to do it), wiped it off on his shirt, and put it in his mouth. Guess we'll wait and see.
MrsStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #39
suthrnmomto3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son had it when he was one...first day of daycare and last day of daycare ever!!! He had a high fever and sore throat and that's it...but dr said he had this...
Old 07-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #40
Paislie98
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS had it a couple weeks ago after being in daycare for 3 days. (I'd been on maternity leave). Our dr said it was contagious when they have a fever and if any of the sores are oozy. Luckily our DS sores didn't break open, they just looked like welts adn then they slowly went away. Daycare needed a note from us saying that he was no longer contagious (although he still had some sore they were not broken open).

I would continue to take our kids to daycare though even knowing someone had this. Chances of getting it aren't guaranteed and your child was likely exposed to it before the notification went up anyway and it is too late. This is what happened to us. Took DS on M, W, F. Note was up the following T that we took him. The next WEd he broke out. So before we were notified he had already been exposed and incubated so to speak. Luckily it wasn't a terrible case, it was horrible but it was too late to keep him out of daycare.