Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
2wonderfulboys
Registered Users
seller

All flats stash?

I am thinking of switching to all flats. They are cheap (and after all that's why I cloth diaper , easy to wash, and no stinkies. Is this possible? I know that's all they had back in the day, but I have been spoiled now by fitted and such. My stash now consist of preolds, flats, and WHs (which I LOVE and DH likes those too) but I have gone well above saving any money what so ever on cloth, especially with my new found love of wool (yeah its pretty bad) any advise or tips mommas that use only flats or mainly flats? How many will I need and what will make them work?

Advertisement

2wonderfulboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
gabmaxi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have had all flats before (now I have a couple of ai2's). It's nice - washes and dries quickly. Folding is a pita but one size is sooooo nice.

I have too many flats, something like 4 or 5 dozen? I would recommend 24-30. With two in diapers probably 4 dozen.
gabmaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
Mac & Cheeses mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have 20 and can go two days unless she has a heavy pee day. I think another 10 would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 06-20-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
PureBliss
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: All flats stash?

I mainly use just my flats, but I do have some MEOS and FB's with hemp inserts. I would love an all flat stash, but honestly I do like to change it up sometimes and the MEOS and FB's are dh's favorite. He likes the ease of just snapping and going.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I use mainly flats. I know how many diapers my husband changes based on how many prefolds or fitteds are in the wash.

We do not have a heavy wetter but with flats do need to change our 12 month old about 10-12 times a day. For going out of the house and at night time I like to add 1-2 padfolded gerber flats inside the pinned flat. As he gets older or begins to wet more I may add a larger flat padfolded inside the pinned flat. We also use wool exclusively over the flats.

I think that 4-6 dozen is a good number of flats to have because as baby gets older you will need to double up on the flats. Then you would only have between 2-3 dozen actual diaper changes.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
2wonderfulboys
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko
I use mainly flats. I know how many diapers my husband changes based on how many prefolds or fitteds are in the wash.

We do not have a heavy wetter but with flats do need to change our 12 month old about 10-12 times a day. For going out of the house and at night time I like to add 1-2 padfolded gerber flats inside the pinned flat. As he gets older or begins to wet more I may add a larger flat padfolded inside the pinned flat. We also use wool exclusively over the flats.

I think that 4-6 dozen is a good number of flats to have because as baby gets older you will need to double up on the flats. Then you would only have between 2-3 dozen actual diaper changes.
Would you get a mix of large and small? And how much wool is needed?
2wonderfulboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
Gumbelina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have 4 dozen flats but I leave some in the diaper bag, some in the car, some at daycare, etc. so probably only 3 dozen of those are in active rotation. 3 dozen seems like a good number.

I don't get the leaks that I consistently got with pockets and AIO's, washing is a breeze even in my crazy hard water, and a cover that coordinates with LO's dress can stay on all day unless it gets pooped on. I use SBish OBF's at night, but I have tried doubling up on flats and it worked well, just a little bulky on my 13lb LO. The price is definitely right on flats, and they give the ease of use that I *thought* I was getting with AIO's.
Gumbelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
Nattiecake
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Flats are AMAZING. I started my stash with prefolds, then bought a little of everything to try it out... and I like flats way better than pockets, AIO's, fitteds, everything! Like you say, they're totally versatile, they're one size, they clean well, and they are trim but absorbent.

The only drawback for an all-flats stash is that sometimes, you just don't feel like folding them all. It only takes a few seconds to fold them, but unless you're someone that LOVES folding laundry, it gets old to fold them all every couple to few days. I use flats and fitteds lately for that reason - the fitteds are there for daddy (he prefers them) and for me when I'm lazy. :P

An all flats stash is totally do-able though! Maybe some doublers or something might be required for older babies or heavy wetters.

+ + + + + my boutique baby shop
Nattiecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #9
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

With my now 4yo when he was little we had a stash of all flats. We used them under wool soakers or padfolded in Flips. I had 2 in diapers and I wanted something cheap, easy to wash and gentle on his sensitive skin. Everything else gave him red marks except flats or prefolds. I found that flats were much easier to get a good fit so we had I believe 3 dozen large flats, 6 wool covers and 6 Flips. I'm getting extremely frustrated with cloth diapers lately and considering going to all flats and wool.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #10
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I did flats.with my 3yo and 20mo, roughly 2 years total. I had 5 dozen and 12 covers each. I padfolded mostly.. they needed a doubler so we used preemie prefolds. We liked the system but not the folding. Lol. So when we were expecting #7 I gave up and.went to pockets. Much prefer stuffing to folding. Lol. But I loved my flats and wouldnt hesitate to.use them again.

Sent from my "smart" phone
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote