Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-24-2012, 07:29 AM   #81
CM6755
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Fully vaxing families?

All 3 kids, both adults, & both dogs all vaxed. I plan on stretching out some vax with this LO b/c it was hard on DS. cx pox, 1year, hep b, etc.

Advertisement

Old 06-24-2012, 07:30 AM   #82
mommyfrog
Registered Users

We're fully vaxed except for the newest one. I keep forgetting the name of it, the one for an STD. But my oldest had it and I've regretted it ever since. I won't give it to my other kids unless they research it when they are older teens and want to have it. They wanted to give it to my 16yo ds and possibly my 13yo ds a couple months ago. I told the doctor that my 16yo would research it and decide if he wants it at his next visit and my 13yo would research it and decide when he was a little older. My 16yo read the vax insert and decided against it. Oh, and flu shots. We don't really get those. We did a couple of years until I researched them more. We've never gotten influenza either.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:01 AM   #83
shen7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We fully vax on schedule. I trust the CDC guidelines and the extensive review process they are based on. Pseudoscience and bad science is a pet peeve of mine and that's all I've ever seen from non-vax arguments, it has never been a question for me. (I am a scientist by training and that was my pre SAHM career.)

I also trust my pediatrician, who is a very reasonable and experienced doctor, and keeps up on evidence-based literature. He recommended breaking up DD's 6 month shots after she had a brief night fever after her 4 month shots, to prevent another fever, so we did. She didn't have any more fevers. I knew that was a pretty standard side effect anyway and showed her immune system was responding. But I know if a shot was ever potentially risky or not worth it for her, he would discuss it with me. I didn't go to medical school and I don't read pediatrics literature all the time and I don't have decades of experience so I am very happy to trust him.

My favorite non-vax argument is how the shots hurt and how mean that is. Honestly my DD cries harder and louder and more inconsolably when I close the door to stop her from running outside after the cat, than she has for any of her shots, even her tiny baby ones. They are really not a big deal and people overblow it sooooo much.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:02 AM   #84
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

We vac, but delay some at 5.5 my son is caught up
Old 06-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #85
moteq
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Fully vaxed, as close to schedule as possible. Rotovirus had to be delayed for DS since he was still in the NICU for the first dose, and they wouldn't give live vaccines there.

Our insurance denied coverage of the RSV Synagis vaccine for our LOs, who were just days outside the premie guidlines. Both of them got RSV.

I joked that I only got pregnant so I could get the H1N1 Vaccine (back when it was rationed out!)
Old 02-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #86
mizzStephylynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

fully vaxing here, the only vaccine skipped in this family is the FLV(feline lukemia virus), and that's only because it's unnecessary for completely indoor cats and it costs more.
mizzStephylynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #87
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
All adults, littles, and furbabies fully vaxed except we do not flu vax anyone.
DD is vaxed on the standard AAP schedule. Except for flu... We don't do it and I need to skirt the issue once again when DD has her 2YO check tomorrow
Old 02-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #88
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Fully vaxed here, too. We do skip the birth Hep B, just because I don't like my newbies poked for no reason. We normally skip the flu shot as well, with occasional exceptions if we are extra vulnerable (specifically DH gets it through work, and I got it this yr because I'm preggers).
Old 02-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #89
Newton
Registered Users

We fully vax, I keep it to one vax per visit and we were delayed while we figured out some other health issues DD had, but got back on track.
DD and I consist gently do the flu vax, we both have asthma. Dh does if I drag him to a flu clinic but wouldn't go to the Dr
Old 02-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #90
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

My kids are vaxed on schedule, also.

To the person (not in the US) who mentioned she didn't get vaxes that were not free. Vaxes are not free in the US. We pay for them and sometimes a lot. I think it was my twins 6 months appt where we paid about $200 out of pocket for their vaccinations. That is what was leftover after our insurance.
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote