View Poll Results: How much time doe you spend (ACTUALLY) playing with your child each day?
30 minutes or less 25 20.33%
30 minutes to 1 hour 26 21.14%
1-2 hours 28 22.76%
More than 2 hours 42 34.15%
Other 2 1.63%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
Ready2Bmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How much time do you spend playing with your child?

I'll always have mommy guilt. That's just who I am. I LOVE interacting with my DS (he's nearly 3). He's so funny and smart. I don't like playing with him though. I can't wait until DD (9 months) is big enough to play with him more.

So...either to make me feel better or feel more guilty (we'll see as results come in. lol)....

How much time do you spend playing with your child? In the floor playing a game, reading books, playing blocks, etc. Actually playing with them. Not just interacting with them.

Advertisement

Hadley, proud to be a wife to Wes (5/26/07), Catholic, natural birthing, BFing, Bedsharing, BWing, ERFing, WOHM, Master's student graduate, and mama to my loves, Emmitt(8/17/09) & Ellen Kate (9/22/11)
Adding a new little snow baby to our family Jan 2015
Help me earn more space on Dropbox!!
Ready2Bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
No clue, I try not to time everything I do now. I always found myself staring at the clock trying to make sure there was just enough tummy time, reading time, quiet time, etc. Now, we just relax and play as it goes. But, we play quite a bit around here. The bigger kids do play alone a lot more, now that they're older, but we have family games we play too.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using DS Forum

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
eahcapemay
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: How much time do you spend playing with your child?

I would say more than 2 hours but it's very split up. We always go to the park, zoo, aquarium, or beach for at least an hour every morning and I play with him then. After nap and lunch we Skype with my mom for an hour and I hang out on the floor with him and play I also read to him 4 or 5 times a day. He always brings me the same books. During the day I do force myself to sit on the floor with him and do child led play. Until kids are about 3 I've always found them a bit boring to play with. But at about 3 something happens and they become awsome creative people you can really play with.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Probably 1-2 hours. I don't really enjoy playing with my toddler either. I can't wait until the baby is big enough to play with her. I recently read an article though that I completely agreed with and have thought for some time about how parents needing to play with their kids is a new concept and that a lot of times it stifles their imaginations. Which I agree with since my toddler wants to sit and watch me play everything when I try to play with her. But if I am doing the dishes and she is by herself in the playroom I can hear her having all kinds of fun.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Not nearly as much as I should, I'm sure. But luckily there are 3 of them very close in age who can play together. It helps me feel less guilty since they have more fun with each other anyway lol
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Maybe an hour playing, but definitely 2+ hours interacting with him everyday. By that I mean having him 'help' me cook, clean, shop, that sort of thing.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I said more than 2 but DS is 5 months so interacting is playing...
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #8
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchMama2010 View Post
Maybe an hour playing, but definitely 2+ hours interacting with him everyday. By that I mean having him 'help' me cook, clean, shop, that sort of thing.
That...

Unless we go to the pool or park and then I'm sort of playing with them (if catching him at the bottom of the slide and pushing him on the swings count)
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
emerino
Registered Users

Not enough! The kids are 14-1/2 mos apart, so I never saw much of a need to play with them, they play with each other. When they ask, I try to accommodate, if the baby will let me. And I take them to do things as much as I can. We have "dates" regularly and we interact all day, but it's not often that I'm on the floor doing something with them. My biggest regret is that I don't read to them more. I don't believe parents have to play with their kids a lot. I do believe that independent play is very good for them.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #10
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Way more than 2 hours, but my DD is 14 months and pretty much demands attention all the time. She is constantly following me around, shoving a book in my face for me to read to her. There are some days that I find playing with a toddler to be completely mind numbingly boring and I can't wait til she is old enough to play or read a book by herself, and there are other days when she cracks me up and I have a blast playing with her.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote