View Poll Results: How much time doe you spend (ACTUALLY) playing with your child each day?
30 minutes or less 25 20.33%
30 minutes to 1 hour 26 21.14%
1-2 hours 28 22.76%
More than 2 hours 42 34.15%
Other 2 1.63%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #11
Ready2Bmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How much time do you spend playing with your child?

Thanks ladies! You're putting my mind at ease. I do play with ds and dd every day, probably for at least an hour broken up throughout the day...more on some days or if ds asks. We're interacting constantly. I'm glad to hear others talk about the benefits of indepdent play.

Advertisement

Hadley, proud to be a wife to Wes (5/26/07), Catholic, natural birthing, BFing, Bedsharing, BWing, ERFing, WOHM, Master's student graduate, and mama to my loves, Emmitt(8/17/09) & Ellen Kate (9/22/11)
Adding a new little snow baby to our family Jan 2015
Help me earn more space on Dropbox!!
Ready2Bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #12
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teexie View Post
Way more than 2 hours, but my DD is 14 months and pretty much demands attention all the time. She is constantly following me around, shoving a book in my face for me to read to her. There are some days that I find playing with a toddler to be completely mind numbingly boring and I can't wait til she is old enough to play or read a book by herself, and there are other days when she cracks me up and I have a blast playing with her.
this.

I feel really bad when I take a shower and take care of me. lol. I try to limit computer time when she's awake, but I fail some days. Today was a good example of that. It's hard anyways, because she's just bringing me books and asking me to read them and I promised myself I would always (or nearly always) stop what I was doing and read to her. So, I try to do that.

"Play" is hard. I mean, we read books.. is that playing? And then we go outside, where I push her on the swings, help her climb the playground stuff, watch her run around, follow her as she wanders, keep her from wandering into the street.

but she's 20 months, I guess that's play? Sometimes we sit with blocks or sing songs or whatever. but I don't do those things everyday. well, we sing songs every day.. but not the blocks.

ETA: oh.. and yes, independent play is VERY important

Last edited by EmilytheStrange; 06-20-2012 at 08:21 PM.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:32 PM   #13
SkyeSpade
Registered Users
seller

I don't really time it, and it varies day to day, depending on how much I have to do around the house, how many errands there are, and how needy DS2 is today. (He thinks this "independent play" thing is for the birds.....sadface.)

And as PP said, what constitutes playing? When DS is "helping" me cook, does that count? Does reading count? If I hold the container and they sort the blocks in, am I playing with them? Does laying on the floor while they use me as a jungle gym count? They seem to think so, for all of the above.

That being said...........
There are never enough hours in the day. If I'm playing, I'm thinking of the things I need to do around the house. If I'm cleaning or cooking, I probably have a growth attached to one leg and a toddler begging for cookies or dvds or "mommy read this one" or trying to spray my bottle of cleaner.....essentially, attention. Sometimes I just open the door (with the air on, because I just want them to go play!!!) And let them roam the backyard.

But while I'm probably going to say, I average over 2 hours a day playing with the boys, they never believe it is enough.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #14
melfinn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I consider reading books playing!! We do books two ways, one actually reading the text and the other looking at the illustrations, naming things. So it is play for sure in my book!

DS will play with his cars alone but most everything else he wants me or Dh to play with him. I babysit my cousins LO who is six months younger and she will play by herself for hours and then come over for some snuggle love time! It is tough when you have to do the playing but DS is getting better at the free play thing.

He is also very physical not in an aggressive way but he wants to roll on the floor and play with the pillows. We also do a lot of "run mama" and "chase mama". Some "hide mama" too! And he jumps every time I jump out even if it is ten times in a row!! And he runs into DHs arms and I pretend I am going to get him. He loves it, I will creep up all slow and then jump or hide behind DH and pop up. He is starting to climb a lot and I guess I was a climber too. Time to move all untouchables to another level!! He is usually pretty good about leaving stuff alone but recently has been getting into a few time he shouldn't.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #15
melfinn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I consider reading books playing!! We do books two ways, one actually reading the text and the other looking at the illustrations, naming things. So it is play for sure in my book!

DS will play with his cars alone but most everything else he wants me or Dh to play with him. I babysit my cousins LO who is six months younger and she will play by herself for hours and then come over for some snuggle love time! It is tough when you have to do the playing but DS is getting better at the free play thing.

He is also very physical not in an aggressive way but he wants to roll on the floor and play with the pillows. We also do a lot of "run mama" and "chase mama". Some "hide mama" too! And he jumps every time I jump out even if it is ten times in a row!! And he runs into DHs arms and I pretend I am going to get him. He loves it, I will creep up all slow and then jump or hide behind DH and pop up. He is starting to climb a lot and I guess I was a climber too. Time to move all untouchables to another level!! He is usually pretty good about leaving stuff alone but recently has been getting into a few time he shouldn't.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #16
tusheez
Registered
seller

My Mood:

We play play play here! Inside we play alot of pretend, puzzles, color. Outside we play in the pool on the beach build sandcastles go to the park ride bikes hopscotch etc. I would say I spend about 5 or so hours playing. We have lots of chill out times too though.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:44 PM   #17
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
I spend a lot of time playing with my kids. And honestly I think I've overdone it because when I don't then often find me to say there bored and don't know what to do

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #18
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I voted 1 to 2 hours, but it's probably right at an hour, on average. I am trying really hard to do some focused activities with them, focused on working on vocabulary and language and kinda working our way through the "Megaskills" book (if you ever need ideas on things to do to play with your kids, check those books out, I love them.) but honestly, I just don't have a lot of time for that stuff. I get up around 6 or 7, do diaper laundry, make bread, hang diaper laundry on the line, wake up kids, get them dressed, make breakfast, fold diaper laundry, wake up the teenager, make her breakfast, then run her all over, etc etc etc.

At minimum, I try to make sure we get at least an hour outside, with the sprinkler going because it's so hot. And, I am rarely up pushing them on the swings or that sort of thing, but I am calling out "ready set go!" for DD2 to "race" to the "finish line," or encouraging DD3 to grab a ball, throw it, stand in the water, splash, etc. I refuse to have them stuck inside all day in air conditioning, just because it's hot out and DD3 isn't old enough to play in the yard with just her 3 yr old sister.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #19
mom2LBJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

more than 2 hours a day. I'm a SAHM and DH works out of town. I don't get out alone much if at all when he is away, so my kiddos are my playmates
mom2LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #20
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Most of the day except when I'm making food or they are playing together. My boys have very different personalities (ds1 is more energetic and has ADHD and ds2 is way more relaxed) so they don't often like playing together. So I am always trying to play with them at the same time so that they are getting that interaction.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote