Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
rommates?

I have almost 8 yr old daughter, 18/19 month old daughter & expecting a boy in feb. I guess I would like some insight on who to room up. 18/19 month very distractable so hard to get to bed if oldest is around. Baby personality still to come. Would you be thinking girls together or younger 2 kids together? if you say younger 2 together can you tell me if & when you would move boy & girl apart? Our house is 3 bedroom & so 2 rooms for 3 kids.

Thanks

Advertisement

abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
MomToMyMonkeys
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
At this point my kids are roomed based on gender, but in the past it was more based on age. My kids like sharing so for awhile we moved kids around to see what combo worked best. Right now we have a plan to tear down some walls and make a big boys room and a big girls room so the 2 boys can share and the 4 girls can share. The boys are 5 years apart and the girls will be almost 8 years from oldest to youngest.

Sent from my iPhone
MomToMyMonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
RJ6Mommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: rommates?

we just moved our family of 8 into a three bedroom house. one of the kids rooms are really big and one is not. we decided to out the two oldest which are boys in the smaller room and the other 4 in the big room. one reason for this is because my oldest is 13 and the little boys are 4 and 1. another reason is when we lived in our 6 bedroom house my 4 year old boy had to sleep with my oldest dd so no matter what he would be in her room. so we decided my 8 and 7 year old dds would be better off with my 4 and 1 year old boys. and my 13 amd 10year old boys can have a room alone. so far it is working out great and no problems at bedtime.
Erin married to Justin since 3/2/02 , EBF, CDing, BWing, vaxing, SAHM to 7 Kids, 6 on earth and 1 in heaven. Ruben James 9/10/99 , Robert Justin 10/5/02 , Rebecca Joy 12/5/03 , Raychel Jolee 3/30/05 , **Russell Jack RIP 12/14/06**, Rylan Josiah 7/3/08 , Ramsee Jayce 4/24/11
RJ6Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Appreciate the experiences.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

I would do the 18/19 mo old alone in her own room for now.

I'd put the new baby in the room with whichever kid is a harder/deeper sleeper. Then, I'd nurse out of the room for night nursings. Just quietly enter, pick up new baby, leave quietly and sit somewhere else (couch, your bed, whatever) for nursings.

This is what I did with mine when I had 3.

As far as when to move boys/ girls apart, I would even worry about that at such ages. But I suppose it would depend on how worried you are about your 8 yr old seeing a naked baby boy? I personally don't care much about my kids seeing babies naked... but some people don't feel that way. If that was really something that would upset you, you might not want to let the 8 y/o room share with the baby...

Otherwise, it would not be an issue until the baby boy was old enough to notice the differences, which would be, like 3-4 y/o, and at that point, he would be easier to move to another room w/o much issue...
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
812ajack
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would say the girls together and put the little one to bed first so she won't be distracted by the older while trying to get to sleep then put the older to bed. I would think if she is easily distracted it would be harder for her to sleep with a NB that will be waking through the night. If you did decide the other way though I had my oldest DD and DS together in a room til he was 4 and she was 3 and then we put my 2 DD's together but also had a different house by then as well.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:11 AM   #7
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Thanks. Yea some will depend on baby.