Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
How specific are you with wish lists for the kids??

I'm talking about when the gift giver ASKS what your child(ren) want(s) and you are compiling a list for them to choose from.

Clothes will be on DS1s list this year and I'm getting pickier since he's in school now and I need the clothes to be durable and somewhat "in style". (ok, that one's not a need, but you get what I mean). So should I be specific and say "Clothing in size 6 or larger from Gymboree, Crazy 8 or Kohls only" or just ask for gift cards for this purpose or leave clothing off the list completely? Or just say "size 6 and up" and deal with exchanging (if possible) anything that doesn't work for us? That part seems counterproductive.

He NEEDS nothing, and currently only wears a 4/5, so this would be to have for future. I am perfectly able to buy clothing for my children, but I figure if people (specifically grandparents) are going to buy stuff anyway, it may as well be stuff he can use. So, all that to ask, how would you do it? Super specific or let them buy what they want anyway?

Advertisement

Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
MyPerfectLife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I ask for Gift Cards and cite my children's pickiness as the reason (though it's really for my benefit). It just got to be a waste for MIL to buy ugly clothes that I donate or stash away ...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DS Forum
Abby, SAHM mom to Maddy (10), Benny (7), Annie (3.5),and Joshy (1). Wife to my traveling hub for 11 years! Almost FT student (2nd time around). My life is not perfect, but I keep telling myself if I say it enough I will believe it!
MyPerfectLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
Sigkap714
Registered Users
seller

Re: How specific are you with wish lists for the kids??

I'm pretty picky about DS's clothing. I HATE clothes with characters or sayings on them. But only my close family and friends know this (mostly from rants about trying to find clothes I like). When people ask I just give them sizes and seasons (ie "summer clothes, 18-24mos) and exchange what I can if I don't like it. The rest become pjs or play clothes. I figure they'll buy what they like and can afford anyway. Only if they ask for favourite stores do I give that info.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #4
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Im picky about clothes so I leave it off the list I give to people. I usually ask for consumable type gifts, like craft supplies, sidewalk chalk, bubbles etc.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DS Forum
Old 06-21-2012, 03:22 AM   #5
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

IDK, my grandparents have seriously good style and I love it when they buy clothes for us. Somehow, they always get the sizes right (even dh's dress shirt size, which I didn't even know) and everything is always perfect. So, I am no help LOL.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:05 AM   #6
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigkap714
I'm pretty picky about DS's clothing. I HATE clothes with characters or sayings on them.
Same here. For now I try to return anything hideous, and the ugly stuff we use for that after dinner/before bedtime space if DD gets messy at dinner. I tried specifying brands at Xmas, but I think that only hurt MIL's feelings.

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:42 AM   #7
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
How about saying "my son needs some stylish clothes for school." And see if that leads to further questions or maybe let the giver work it out.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #8
kbz2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

It usually depends who is asking.

I know a lot of people dislike giving gift cards (my MIL would never give a gift card, she likes to shop). Generally if someone does ask though I would have no problem saying "we are in need of size 6 clothes, generally we stick to brands like X, Y, Z because the fit for DS is better and the quality last longer since my DS is rough on his clothes".

I think most people would understand that. Clothing all fits differently so it would help eliminate returns. Also if you get someone who doesn't like to go to gymboree, crazy 8, etc; they will most likely at least include a gift receipt.

I also do a lot of consumables, books, workbooks, crayons, stickers, crafts, etc.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #9
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

I try to include a variety of specificity type things so people have options to buy something easy that is very specific or to go shopping and make choices. So I am specific on things I care about like clothes, and not on other things as much for the most part... like

Art supplies-- she loves sparkley, gluesticks, paints, etc
A bag to tote around library books
Leggings, Gymboree pink or red size 4T
Rashguard top, size 4T, prefer long sleeve
Hanna PJ's 2 piece style size 100
Hanna Unders size M
$ towards membership to the Children's Museum or tickets to the Children's Theater
Scooby Doo dog bone snacks or Nilla wafer cookies(have to be specific about food due to allergies)
Curious George books (we already have X,Y,Z)

I try to be only as specific as I need to be to avoid getting things we won't use as I know that is why they are asking for a list

Last edited by Hands&Fire Pottery; 06-21-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:37 AM   #10
psylion
Registered Users
seller

I would feel uncomfortable asking for only particular stores, especially expensive ones. I as a general rule avoid asking for clothes though since father in law is an indiscriminate garage sale shopper and MIL seems to think that brown and orange are the only colors that exist in the world (earth tones make me barf). I think the disposable stuff like art supplies idea is the best one.