Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-21-2012, 05:18 AM   #1
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
s/o For those who don't vax for Hep B

But do vax for everything else why?

Yes Hep B is a sexually transmitted disease, but you can also pass it from mother to child in delivery. It is sort of like HIV/AIDS in that way. So young children can have it. The odds are not great that your child would get it from another child but children do dumb things all the time and how many of us remember becoming "blood brothers or sisters" with friends when we were young? Or have you ever known 2 children who get injured at the same time?

I don't want to start a fight I just want to know why.

Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #2
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Re: s/o For those who don't vax for Hep B

In Canada they don't give it until grade 7 unless you're travelling abroad.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't have it and i don't think DS is going to be having sex or shooting up for a few years (hopefully never on the latter!) so I didn't see any reason to give his little newborn body a shot. I wanted the birthing process to be as pleasant as possible. He didn't receive the eye goop either but he did get the vit k shot. My vaccine plan is evolving so he may get in in a fe years or may not depending on the research I find. For right now I am putting off all vaccinations for at least a year.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
There was far too little conclusive research about hep b and baby processing it, the fat soluble aspect, etc for me to feel comfortable giving it at birth. A few weeks later I decided not to vax at all. If he ever needed surgery, extended hospital stay, a transfusion, etc it would be high up there for me to make known and get done. That's not to say I can anticipate emergencies or things like that obviously, but it's not a priority for me.

I recall my mom saying (in our vax convo when I decided not to vax DS) that I didn't get it until school age. I'm not sure if the standard changed, or her hospital was just weird. I was also a section baby, so it seems if they did it at birth back then at that hospital, they would've after a surgical procedure? Dunno. It seems common upon birth and infancy now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Last edited by Hillargh; 06-21-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My dd has everything but Hep... I do not have Hep and nor does DH - and unlike one doctor said my husband will not cheat on me and give me hep secretly. When you are pregnant they test you for Hep (not to mention DH and I waited to do the deed...) so we are clean.

Hep does stay alive for a bit when blood is outside the body but DD is at home with me, 24/7. My sister has watched her once. IF I had to put dd in a daycare or public school she would get hep before going but there is no need for her to get the shot this young under our circumstances. I think everyones living conditions are different and so I still recommend others to get it.
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #6
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Double Post

Last edited by CntryMama; 06-21-2012 at 09:48 AM.
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #7
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i read somewhere that they moved it to infancy because older children are less likely to come in for well child visits and get vaxes. i don't honestly know how accurate that statement is, or where i even read it, but it seems like it would make sense. unless mama is diagnosed with hep b, i can't see any reason why an infant would need to be vaxed for it. we're waiting until our children are teenagers (closer to an age when they'd be at risk for acquiring the disease), and then we'll assess whether or not they will get it at that point.

have you seen the One Happy Baby Diaper Pattern?
karabeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

See my point is you can't tell by looking at (adult) Sally that her (child) Molly. Got Hep B from birth. Hep B easily treated in the US just like HIV (though both you will have till you die currently, just one takes you there faster and the other is more of a chronic condition).

Would those of you that don't do Hep B also not do a proven vaccine for HIV? It is transmitted the same way, and people that have either of these disease don't have a scarlet letter on their forehead saying they have it, and I have yet to meet someone who says "Hello my name is Joe Smith, I am HIV and Hep B negative. Your name is what? And are you Hep B and HIV negative?"

I am just confused that people think "it can't happen to me" is good enough reason. I am trying to enlighten my mind today.

Thank you for telling me your reasons.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #9
MyLovely
Registered Users

I'm a proponent of Heb B, just not at birth. The vaccine schedule throughout the first world is virtually identical, the only difference being that we vax at birth for it whereas they either skip it for low-risk kids or delay it elsewhere. I know that I started the series in either 5th or 6th grade. When the time comes I'll figure it out with the ped, doing it sometime in the (early) elementary school years.

ETA: I'd feel exactly the same about an HIV vaccine. Supportive, and I'd get it long before there was even a chance of sexual activity.

Last edited by MyLovely; 06-21-2012 at 11:33 AM.
MyLovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #10
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

I don't have HepB so there was no reason to give my 1 day old baby the vaccine.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote