Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #11
mrspnut82
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: s/o For those who don't vax for Hep B

I just think it's unnecessary for a baby to get. When they are older I will do it. I know I didn't have it when giving birth or ever and the other ways they could get it are extremely unlikely. My kids don't go running the streets with the neighbors or anything. They play with their cousins who I know don't have it. They will go to school but what are the chances of getting it as a 6yo in school? It's not like they get it from sneezing or even sharing drinks. Almost every kid is vaccinated for it. my kids are probably going to be the only not vaccinated for it in K and 1st grade.

Advertisement

mrspnut82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #12
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

for us, it's not that we think we're invincible, we just don't think that our children are at enough risk at this point in their lives to need the vaccination. i SAHM and homeschool our kids, so that reduces the likelihood that they would be exposed to an infected persons blood or body fluid. yes, we go out in public, and yes they do attend some group activities where they could come in contact in the event of an accident or something, but not often enough that we deem it a risk. once they get older and get closer to the age of becoming sexually active or if our situation changes and their risk of being exposed increases, we'll address their need for it at that time.

have you seen the One Happy Baby Diaper Pattern?
karabeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #13
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

Curiousity do they have a hep B booster since they are giving it so early now or do they repeat the whole series if their titers didn't show antibodies? I think that would be my issue giving it so young is at what point in their life would they have a titer drawn to find out if they still have the antibodies? I get it pregnancy, and have had it drawn because I was in the medical field. My curiousity is I no longer have the antibodies for TB or rubella, and I did in 2010. So, in 2 years my "immunity" disapeared, and I wouldn't know except the fact I got pregnant again.

I got my series starting at age 13 I believe.

ETA: so, wouldn't it make sense to delay until closer to a time frame in which the likely-hood and increased risk of contacting the disease make more sense?

Last edited by champatlife; 06-21-2012 at 11:59 AM.
champatlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #14
isaacsmum
Registered Users

The CDC says that the immunity lasts a minimum of 20 years when the series is started for infants, with long-term studies currently ongoing. In most cases, vaccine induced immunity has a half-life longer than the typical life-span, but there's always a percentage whose immunity wanes or didn't get a good antibody response to begin with. I know the US switched to giving the series to infants in the early 1990's, so I guess we'll see what the follow up data says for long term immunity. Most of the rest of the world now given this as a series for infants, too (WHO says 147 out of 192 countries) so there should be a lot of studies of the duration of immunity. No other viruses we currently vaccinate for require a general booster recommendation, so I think the odds of this one needing it are low. We'll see in time.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #15
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by champatlife View Post
Curiousity do they have a hep B booster since they are giving it so early now or do they repeat the whole series if their titers didn't show antibodies? I think that would be my issue giving it so young is at what point in their life would they have a titer drawn to find out if they still have the antibodies? I get it pregnancy, and have had it drawn because I was in the medical field. My curiousity is I no longer have the antibodies for TB or rubella, and I did in 2010. So, in 2 years my "immunity" disapeared, and I wouldn't know except the fact I got pregnant again.

I got my series starting at age 13 I believe.

ETA: so, wouldn't it make sense to delay until closer to a time frame in which the likely-hood and increased risk of contacting the disease make more sense?
Unless you have spent time outside of the US, you were not vaccinated against TB. You wouldn't get titers drawn. You might be tested to see if you have ever been exposed to TB, but once that test showed up positive, you should never get it again.

No vaccine protects 100% of the people who receive it. Some people happen to be less likely to acquire lifelong immunity to a disease, even from having the disease naturally (if you read past threads you will read literally dozens of DS members who have apparently had chicken pox more than once even though common wisdom says that you get it once and never get it again). You may well not take vaccinations well or you may not have taken the rubella well.

Hep B is a 3 shot series and generally a booster is nto recommended/needed unless you have certain condition. The vaccine is very safe and highly effective. You can get blood drawn to check your immunity if you are concerned.

One thing to remember with Hep B is that it can live for 7+ DAYS on surfaces outside of the body.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #16
Samandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We no longer do any vaccines but all my children did receive the hep b shot, the last one under protest. I will say that in the past few years there have been several news stories of infected people working in restaurants and accidentally cutting themselves while preparing food. In almost all the cases nothing was even said until much later, so people were in fact served food that may have had hep b.
Samandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #17
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
Unless you have spent time outside of the US, you were not vaccinated against TB. You wouldn't get titers drawn. You might be tested to see if you have ever been exposed to TB, but once that test showed up positive, you should never get it again.

No vaccine protects 100% of the people who receive it. Some people happen to be less likely to acquire lifelong immunity to a disease, even from having the disease naturally (if you read past threads you will read literally dozens of DS members who have apparently had chicken pox more than once even though common wisdom says that you get it once and never get it again). You may well not take vaccinations well or you may not have taken the rubella well.

Hep B is a 3 shot series and generally a booster is nto recommended/needed unless you have certain condition. The vaccine is very safe and highly effective. You can get blood drawn to check your immunity if you are concerned.

One thing to remember with Hep B is that it can live for 7+ DAYS on surfaces outside of the body.
You're right TB is the one where they test ID in the forearm right? I wonder which one I no longer have immunity for I know they said 2 different ones, and I have the hep B antibodies just not two others (and that changed within the last 2 years.)
Old 06-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #18
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandni3 View Post
In Canada they don't give it until grade 7 unless you're travelling abroad.
Actually it's province by province. In BC they give it at 2mos.
I don't though, I'm waiting until middle school. Just seemed to me they were getting enough vax as infants and that one could easily wait.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:22 AM   #19
gabmaxi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I didn't do Hep-b at birth, just seemed crazy. I will get the hep-b later, thanks actually this thread is a good reminder.

From what I understand, hep-b is given at birth because the most at-risk population tends to never come back for well visits (as pp said) and it is a huge cost to treat.
gabmaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #20
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Why do they give hep B right after birth?