Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #11
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Dd gets up too early! Help!!!

My daughter went through a phase of waking up at 5:30/6am for about a month and then went back to 6:30/7.

I honestly don't think there's anything you can do.

I do think that at 25months, she could understand a toddler clock. You might not be able to get her to sleep more, but perhaps she'll play quietly until the clock says it's time to get up. I'd say about a max of 30minutes.

Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #12
jemilyon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Im going to talk to dh about getting one of
Those timers. Id love for her to stay in bed
Til 6:30.
Thanks mamas. Good to hear advice and empathy.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #13
dncegrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

my ods was an early riser, until he started school. Now he sleeps til 10 am on the weekends. I think school just wears him out.
My ds2 is also an early riser. I put him to bed at 8 pm and he wakes up between 5:30 and 6 am.
dncegrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #14
Sydsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Is she wet or hungry? I would give an extra snack before bed (like a banana, crackers and hummus) to make sure she's full through the night, make sure she has an extra absorbent diaper (add a doubler) and then when she wakes up just go in and pat her back until she falls back asleep. If that doesn't work then I would do the toddler clock thing and make sure she has something safe to play with in her bed while you wake up for 30 mins or so my dd relaxes in her room for 20 mins or so when she wakes up in the morning (usually cuddles with the cats or reads a book)
Old 06-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #15
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

oh, I'll add my strategy.

I would pick her up, change her diaper and put her back to bed. that lasted maybe 30 minutes. Not that it mattered, because once mom is awake, mom is awake.

We had limited success with getting her to go back to sleep by bringing her in bed with us, but mostly we just resigned ourselves to waking up early. I am so glad it ended.

although, she was up at 6:40 this morning and I went to bed late and I could not get her to go back to sleep. blah blah blah.

for me, it was actually sorta great when she woke up that early. Cause DH was still home, so I'd just go run and let him play with her for a bit. I have a really hard time waking myself up early to run or whatever.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #16
melyndie
Registered Users
seller

How about putting her to bed earlier? It sounds illogical, but in my experience and from what I read, IT WORKS!

Whenever DD goes to bed a bit late (her usual bedtime is 7), she wakes up early. We are definitely religious about bedtime over here.
Wife to my supportive DH and WAHM to DD Nora (06/10), DS Emerson (07/12), and baby #5 (due 5/16) and my precious babies in heaven: Bennet (died 8/15 at 12 months) and Lucy (miscarried 7/15).
melyndie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #17
jemilyon
Registered Users
seller
seller

I actually did put her to bed half an hour early tonight bc I read an online article saying the could help Will add a hearty bedtime snack tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it's not her dipe, she's pretty well loaded up. She also still wakes up early when she's in sposies.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #18
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

good luck!

my daughter wakes up early if put to bed early - I hope your luck works out better! A lot of parents say that putting them to bed early makes them wake up late, so it's a good strategy to try!
Old 06-21-2012, 09:53 PM   #19
Ally's Fuzzies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I will second (or third) the idea of a toddler clock. I have had a Gro clock for my 21 month old, and she understands the concept.

We set the clock up at about 18 months and explained that when "Mr. Star" was up, it was time to sleep and when "Mr. Sun" was up, it was time to wake up. She didn't get it at first, but now, 95% of the time that I hear her wake up before her wake-up time, she looks at the clock and goes back to sleep. The other 5% of the time, I either let her talk quietly (if it is within about 15 minutes of wake up time), or go in and remind her that Mr. Star is still up.

A great example - two days ago, I heard her at 5:30 (her wake-up time is 6:45). I let her talk for about 5 minutes, but it didn't seem like she was going to sleep, so I walked into her room, said "Mr. Star is still up, it's time for sleep", rolled her onto her tummy and left. I didn't hear another peep from her, and I actually had to wake her up at 7:00, so we could get ready to go.

I'm not sure if it would work for your sleep issues, but 25 months is definitely old enough to get the concept.

Good luck mama
Old 06-21-2012, 10:13 PM   #20
B+EBabyDipes
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by melyndie
How about putting her to bed earlier? It sounds illogical, but in my experience and from what I read, IT WORKS!

Whenever DD goes to bed a bit late (her usual bedtime is 7), she wakes up early. We are definitely religious about bedtime over here.
My son is exactly the same... The later he is up the earlier he wakes!
B+EBabyDipes is offline   Reply With Quote